Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Having the option to use Vigor in some spells

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
Friggin' sweet, seibaby! You cleared all my doubts. I'm gonna use your tweak right now!

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(05-01-2016, 08:43 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Nice work fellas! I'm wondering, would removing just the level scaling aspect help out the Vigor stat become important, as well as weapons/battle power? Or would that then make physical attacks too weak in general without switching the physical damage formula over to the magic one such as this patch does?

I'm not sure what you're asking, exactly. Remove level from the damage calculation? That would indeed make Vigor and Battle Power more important, since they would be the only terms left! Tongue And yes, damage would be pathetic.

Magic damage scales with level, too; the formula has Level in it. It's just that physical damage scales quadratically, since that has Level^2 in it. My hack equalizes the formulas so that all damage scales with level in the same way: linearly.

(05-02-2016, 05:44 AM)Kugawattan Wrote: Friggin' sweet, seibaby! You cleared all my doubts. I'm gonna use your tweak right now!

Have fun rebalancing every enemy, weapon, and physical ability in the game.  Laugh
  Find

Status
Charmed
Pshaw! I was already doing that, so it's not like it means much! xD

I was wondering, however, looking at some things in your code that I'm not convinced with.

Things that set the monster's stamina depending on their HP and then vigor out of stamina...If I removed these two things from the code, would enemies stay the same (aka vigor as a random number, no stamina)? It feels to me that monsters with a lot of hp will always have high amounts of vigor, even if they're not meant to (say, the monster is a squishy wizard). Unless you give me a reason to use this, if I remove it will there be any ill effects?

The hyper wrist, Genji Glove and gauntlet mods in the code- I have applied the Ultimate Damage fix. It also does stuff with the Genji Glove and Gauntlet. I wonder if there would be any conflicts?

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(05-02-2016, 06:33 AM)Kugawattan Wrote: If I removed these two things from the code, would enemies stay the same (aka vigor as a random number, no stamina)?

Yes. Just comment out that code before you apply the patch.

(05-02-2016, 06:33 AM)Kugawattan Wrote: The hyper wrist, Genji Glove and gauntlet mods in the code- I have applied the Ultimate Damage fix. It also does stuff with the Genji Glove and Gauntlet. I wonder if there would be any conflicts?

I don't know. If that fix modifies the same offsets, or the offsets called by, my code, then it is likely these patches will conflict.

Edit: I had a look through Leet Sketcher's code. His patch is a complete rewrite of the damage calculation functions. As such, these two patches are incompatible.

His fix looks very comprehensive. If it's compatible with other bugfixes, I might recreate my mod with his code as a base. For now, you should consider my hack a testing ground for its revised damage formula, no more.
  Find

Status
Charmed
Yeah, it seems like the best idea. I do think the Gauntlet should give a greater bonus than the Genji Glove, because for example if you equip Two Excaliburs, it would give you double the passive boosts they grant while the Gauntlet wouldn't.

Thanks for your time, I've learned considerably with this thread.

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I'm using Leet's Ultimate Damage Fix patch as well, and Madsiur's code (the one I'd be interested in using) here definitely would not get along with it as is. =(

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
I'm having a thought about maybe having 2-3 different damage formulae, then be able to independently pick what stat to use as attacking stat and defending stat in each... so you could hypothetically make an attack that uses formula 1 with vigor hitting magic defense... then another attack that's also formula 1 that instead uses magic vs stamina... the coding wouldn't be hard to branch... just wondering if it would be worth writing a couple extra formulae to use with it... then making sure all abilities are either edited, or default to something consistent.
  Find

Status
Charmed
Did I install this correctly? I downloaded xkas, put seibaby's code (in an asm file I named vigornormalizer.asm) in the same folder, then I put the rom.
Shift + Right Click, open command window, and I typed:

xkas vigornormalizer.asm crossovercrisisv2.smc

I tested it and my game glitches out in the battle before going to black, music still playing but stuck.

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Isn't this because of the confliction with Ultimate Battle Fix? Or did you remove that before testing this?

Status
Charmed
Yeh, I did. Now it reads:

Code:
;Physical Damage Formula Overhaul
;basically equalizes the physical damage formula for characters and monsters
;and makes it use the same formula as for magical damage
;This makes Vigor and Battle Power MUCH more powerful.
;It also makes physical abilites scale much worse with level, obviously.
;You need to adjust Battle Power for weapons and stuff otherwise they're insane
;ex. Ultima is 150 power while Illumina is 255 power.

hirom
header

org $C22890
NOP #2           ;Disable doubling Vigor for characters:

org $C22BB7
NOP #2           ;Disable quadrupling battle power for monsters:

org $C22BE9
JSR $2B69        ;Discard physical damage formula, call magic formula instead:

org $C22BCE
STA $11A6        ;Make sure Gauntlet still works
SEP #$20         ;Make game not crash :)

org $C22C02
cont1:
org $C22BF0      
REP #$20         ;(Set 16-bit accumulator, since $2B69 sets it to 8-bit)
BRA cont1        ;Disable multiplying damage by 3/2 and adding Battle Power for characters

;org $C22D64
;ADC $3B40,Y      ;Set monster Vigor as a random number from Monster's Stamina + [1..8]

;org $C22CF0
;cont2:
;org $C22CE9
;NOP              ;Increase the cap on monster Stamina to 96
;CMP #$50         ;(Stamina = (Max HP / 256) + 16. If this number
;BCC cont2        ; is greater than 96, then the monster's stamina is
;LDA #$4F         ; set to 96)

;org $C20F3A     ;Make Hyper Wrist boost Vigor by 25% instead of 50% (rounded UP)
;LSR             ;(NOTE: not compatible with assassin's genji glove damage reduction fix)

;org $C20F3F     ;Make Hyper Wrist boost Vigor by 25% instead of 50% (rounded UP)
;LSR             ;(NOTE: compatible with assassin's Genji Glove damage reduction fix;
               ; apply this AFTER applying that one or it will just overwrite this)

;org $C22BC7
;NOP #4         ;Nerf Gauntlet a little bit, make it increase battle power by 50% instead of 75%
               ;With the new physical formula, the Gauntlet literally increases damage by 75%
               ;while the Genji Glove lags behind at 50%. So...yeah. Optional, IMO.

;org $C22BC4
;LSR             ;A smaller nerf for Gauntlet; this increases Battle Power (hence damage)
               ; by 62,5%.