Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 Expansion Editor (FF6ExpED)

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Weakness
Just to be clear, vanilla does not let you steal but one per monster and Multi-Steal does not chance that behavior either; it does, however, let you steal more than one item per turn, which vanilla does not do (it only lies to you and lets you think you do, and simultaneously prevents you from stealing from said monsters on subsequent turns).

So this does not change that at all, but it gives additional steal slots and customizable rarity rates for each.  (PB increased the slots to 4 also, but the rates were still fixed, so this is even more customizable than we went with it). However, Leno did change the steal function to include a heavy dependence on the Speed stat as well, although I can't remember the exact formula he settled on, I remember that level was no longer the be-all-end-all.

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(05-06-2016, 02:02 AM)Imzogelmo Wrote: Just to be clear, vanilla does not let you steal but one per monster and Multi-Steal does not chance that behavior either; it does, however, let you steal more than one item per turn, which vanilla does not do (it only lies to you and lets you think you do, and simultaneously prevents you from stealing from said monsters on subsequent turns).

Oh that's pretty cool. From reading the improvement / fix code, I thought your fix was solving a bug where second stolen item in same turn in vanilla was showing the description of the first one. I was finding weird you store the item number in an "array" when you could have a maximum of an single item in the array. Now it makes a lot more sense than my actual code reading skills.

(05-06-2016, 02:02 AM)Imzogelmo Wrote: So this does not change that at all, but it gives additional steal slots and customizable rarity rates for each.  (PB increased the slots to 4 also, but the rates were still fixed, so this is even more customizable than we went with it). However, Leno did change the steal function to include a heavy dependence on the Speed stat as well, although I can't remember the exact formula he settled on, I remember that level was no longer the be-all-end-all.

I made sure both vanilla and multi-steal fix work with the code I've changed, meaning I did not touched a single byte of your new C2 disassembly included with the patch. I'm actually only making a different BRA (exit) depending if vanilla or multi-steal fix applied because the RTS is shifted from a few bytes in vanilla compared to your fix. My JSLs (?) are touching code that is same in vanilla and your improvement. I though also about changing or including an alternate steal formula. Basing it on speed seems like the logic thing to do but I have a hard time finding a good balance when incorporating new stats in formulas. It was also not exactly in the initial scope of this project.
  Find

Status
Weakness
I should read my own patch readme to be sure exactly how it works. The items get lost because vanilla only adds items to your inventory (a single byte memory address) once at the end of your turn. So no matter how many times it gets written into a pending location, the pending one only goes to your inventory once. The other issue is with the display. In vanilla, the animation script only knows if there was a success or not on a given move, and if so it pulls out a variable holding the item number and converts that to the English text for that item. Unfortunately, that also was only a single variable. I can't remember if it's the first or last one; but anyway, you were being lied to and told you got something when you didn't; and at the same time, being deprived of getting those items later (the nulling still happened). I didn't need an array to add it into inventory, I just did that as it happens (which I admit does offend me on some purist level, since items aren't normally added to inventory until the turn is over); but I did need one to make the display correct (and of course an index for the array).

Ah, the good old times... Smile

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
You could probably change it to allow all four items by having it check each nybble there and determining whether any items are left to steal, with #$F being stolen or empty, and anything else meaning something exists.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Imzogelmo: i actually submitted clarifications to that bug description in a November 9, 2012 email. Tongue  if you don't dutifully catalog these things (what's the matter with you?  email servers never fill up!), i can re-send it.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to assassin for this post:
  • Imzogelmo (05-12-2016), Robo Jesus (12-25-2017)

Status
Weakness
(05-06-2016, 08:17 AM)assassin Wrote: Imzogelmo: i actually submitted clarifications to that bug description in a November 9, 2012 email. Tongue  if you don't dutifully catalog these things (what's the matter with you?  email servers never fill up!), i can re-send it.

I know you're being semi-facetious, but I probably do still have the emails. The thing is, I have finally had so many conversations that I've stopped remembering every one of them. So, I lack indexing aside from google (lost a couple hard drives over the years) and memory (I don't know what I've talked about or with whom, so I can't think to go looking for the details when I've completely forgotten the topics, much less the actual conversations).

I could probably copy off forum posts from half a dozen places, plus all those emails (I have all the way back to '05), asms, and readmes... and still only have about half of it. Plus, by the time I read through all that, we'd be well into 2018.

Find