Users browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)
Pony Fantasy VI Remake

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 43
Status
None
Weighing my options, I don't think I'll need to expand the sprite sheets. FiM loves it's palette swapped characters because of its vector art, and with most of them having very simplistic color schemes, I can actually reliably switch palettes on NPC sprites without making them look horrible. Not every color combination works (neon green and pale blue mane on a red mare, anyone?), but enough that I can change things up.

Anyway, a few characters like the Conductor and Esper Elder are going to be played by normal NPC sprites with a specific palette assigned to them to make them look distinct. In addition the generic Esper field models (the fairy and the wolf) will be replaced in-game with more generic NPCs, freeing up their sprite sheets for use. Shadow will be using his normal sprite in his flashbacks, so there's Clyde's sprites free to repurpose. That gives me at least Clyde, the two Espers, and the Esper Elder to play with. I may yet find others.

That said, I don't have too many NPCs that will need new, unique sprites. One of them will be using Prince Ralse's sprite from the opera, so that's no problem. Beyond that, there's Lola in Maranda, Duane in Mobliz (lucky for me Katarin already has her unique sprite), Elaine in Cyan's story bits, and the rich guy in South Figaro. Anything beyond that would be a neat cameo that I'm not committed to having, or will be a palette swap of an NPC sprite.

This also all has the effect that cities will host a wider variety of NPCs since I can change palettes on them even if they're using the same sprite. It's a lot to do, but I'm good to do it. The location editor wasn't so hard to figure out and I'm find to manually check each location map and make sure everything is working.
  Find

Status
None
Two part question - when Terra turns into an Esper and we see her flying around the world map, is there any way to replace that sprite? If not, can I blank that sprite entirely so we don't see it?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
That particular graphic is compressed and needs to be decompressed in order to edit it. This thread/tutorial here by the yellow mouse-man should explain it for you:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...decompress

He links the offsets that include that graphics. Then it's a matter of, once it's decompressed with PSV, loading it into yy-chr and editing it, staying within the general boundaries of the original one or it will have a compression error upon re-compressing it back in.

And yeah you can have it blank I remember, but I forget the exact byte to replace:
CC/BF7D: FD Change graphic to Esper Terra
the FD with, but I know I had it blank before.

The other normal options are, of course, falcon graphic which is byte F4, and the Pidgeon, F7... I'd say try FF or 00 possibly for nothing. Or another F something if not that.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
Hm, looking at that I'll just blank the sprite. It'll save me making a crappy replacement sprite at least. :p

And one more random question, I probably know the answer but wanna be sure - dummied out in-battle dialogue like, say, the Eight Dragon calls, can be edited and added into other fights without problems, aye?

EDIT - Also, love the avatar.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Yeah they can, with FF3usME. In the monster editor part, the 'Small Quotes'. Then you could place a new one or swap them or w/e by going into a battlescript and doing the text command F3 XX 00, where XX is the small quote index, you'll see it there.

And thanks lol. It's a kinda insider joke for Madsiur but it is pretty fitting, and yes hilarious that character/episode.

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 15
Thanks Given: 11
Status
Mental-Break
(02-05-2016, 12:16 AM)DrakeyC Wrote: Two part question - when Terra turns into an Esper and we see her flying around the world map, is there any way to replace that sprite? If not, can I blank that sprite entirely so we don't see it?

theres a patch also in case you don't feel like using yychr.

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...icle+terra
  Find

Status
None
I don't even. Just gonna post these here. She's looked fine in previous playtests, I've done a lot of sprite work this week but didn't touch Terra. Please please please tell me I'm not gonna have to throw all this work away, I have back-ups but still...

[Image: Version%200.4_00001_zpsmhfgfwyp.png] [Image: Version%200.4_00002_zpstelvszqu.png]

EDIT - I'm fortunate, a back-up from just today is okay. Well that narrows it down at least, let's compare.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Just because you didn't touch Terra directly/specifically doesn't mean something like this can't happen.
I'm not sure but if I had to guess, I'd say somehow her battle graphics pointer is not correct. But, just getting back I've yet to read all what you've done this past week, so I'm not sure where to start. Any patches at all used? And when is your last backup that works? Hopefully you should have made one pretty much after doing every little thing since you've learned how these random shits can happen...? I mean you should be able to narrow down what might have caused it from your backup, then tracing your steps.

I say her graphics pointer because this looks very similar to a mistake that happened to a character when expanding battle graphics & palettes for an additional character to be shown correctly in battle, but I doubt you were dabbling in that. But if some patch was used...I dunno.
And sure, you can fix it and not have to start from the backup, but you'll need to know what caused it. Wink

Status
None
Nope, no patches at all, and no Hex stuff. All I've been doing is importing more sprites.

I'm working from a back-up - import a few, make sure it works, rinse and repeat.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Huh well strange, it must be something that went wrong when importing sprites, maybe the wrong format or something. Not my forte, sprites. But sounds like you have a good 'nuff backup there.