Users browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)
Pony Fantasy VI Remake

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Got an odd glitch here. I was remaking some items, turned Sleeping Bag and Magicite into Refresher (cures Poison, Mute, and Blind) and SmellingSalt (cures Muddle and Berserk). They work fine, no problem... only now Cure 3 has no animation. The text box appears up top, the healing takes effect, but there's no casting animation and the characters stays in place using their chanting animation. I double-checked against an unedited Rom, I haven't changed Cure 3's animation directly.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Little to vague on that one to get much of an answer, but sounds like it is skipping a step required for it to complete the action. What would cause that? About 51 or 62 different possibilities. Sorry for the bad news but... yeah.

On the up side, I should still have notes for making Rage and Leap use the same command slot (Rage becomes Leap while on the Veldt). Course you can't use Rage on the Veldt, but it does combine the commands. Else you'd have to add a lot more code and do something like check if monsters in active formation are already learned Rages, if so, don't replace with Leap. That's not really worth it though.

Will find the code next time I see my notebook. Not sure, it might already be posted around here somewhere.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
None
Goodie. :/

Part of me wants to be lazy and post the rom here and just ask you guys to fix this stuff. :p
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-27-2016, 11:58 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: Part of me wants to be lazy and post the rom here and just ask you guys to fix this stuff. :p

1) You can't post ROM links here, worst case make a patch.

2) Only you knows the step between last time the spell was working and now that it doesn't work.

3) You might want to go to an old backup that was working and restart from there, verifying at each step the animation is working.

5) If all fails it might be a good time to learn how to use the debugger and check what's wrong with the animation casting, though this solution will require the most learning and is the most tedious.
  Find

Status
None
What's the debugger?

I'll switch the item animations back, perhaps that did something. (Edit - Nope)

I do have a backup with the items partially done where Cure 3 works. If there's no simple solution, I can redo what I need to.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-28-2016, 01:42 AM)DrakeyC Wrote: What's the debugger?

Geiger's SNES9x debugger available in the tools page. It allows you to set breakpoints in the code and follow instruction by instruction the code until you find you what is causing the problem (simply put). It require a decent understanding of ASM, the ff6 code in general and how the debugger works. That is why I said it's the solution with biggest learning curve but in the long run it worth it for other stuff. You backup might be an easier solution, even if it requires redoing multiple things.
  Find

Status
Zombie
Nah, using a debugger doesn't require asm knowledge. Actually being able to understand whats its telling you requires knowing something, but anybody can turn it on and drool on themselves while watching data fly by. In other words, the more ASM you understand, the more use you'll get out of a debugger, tis a fact. That being said, I still say any fool can use a debugger (hell I do all the time.)

On another note, the code changes for combining Rage and Leap, are as follows (direct hex edits required):
Code:
C2/543E: AD E4 11    (Original code)
C2/5441: 4C 7F 64    (Jumps to free space for new code)
C2/5444: EA          (Fills in the empty space)

C2/647F: 89 02    (Check if Leap available)
C2/6481: D0 04
C2/6483: A9 10
C2/6485: 83 03
C2/6487: 60       (Returns to normal code)

Those are NON-headered adresses, should match up with whats in the disassembly.

Forgive me, I wasn't adding comments to my notes back then, added a few quick comments off the top of my head but by no means informative comments. It has been awhile since I've used this, but if put in correctly it should replace the "Leap" command with Rage if your not on the Veldt. (Might be the other way around, but pretty sure Leap is the command that needs to be in the menu.) If I'm remembering correctly, instead of blanking Leap out when its not available, it replaces it with Rage. If I get time, or it gives you to much trouble I'll check it and make sure.

And no, i won't make an IPS patch of it. Sorry, but its just a few bytes to easy to add directly using a hex editor. Also a good chance (if your not already) to get friendly and comfortable with hex editing. Good luck.

Find

Status
None
^Thanks, I'll add it to the list.

^^Yeah, I'll take it from the back-up. I'll just cross-compare to recreate the old items and shop lists.
  Find

Status
Zombie
While redoing your work, be sure to check very often for the bug you mentioned. I'd almost suggest checking after every item edit. As well as making a temporary backup/copy before you do each edit and after you confirm it didn't bug.

Might seem tedious, or exesive, however since you don't know for sure for sure if it was a typo or a glitched edit... better safe than sorry. While redoing it 10 times may make for good practice, it sucks.

Just a suggestion though.

Find

Status
None
For sure, have been. Smile
  Find