Users browsing this thread: 10 Guest(s)
Pony Fantasy VI Remake

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Seems to have worked, I'll keep an eye out just in case moving forward, ofc.
  Find

Status
None
Okay, spent a good part of yesterday and an hour today troubleshooting this to no avail, so I'm breaking down and asking for help.

My moving of Umaro's recruitment to Lola has gone great, the event itself works fine, I can make the flowers in Lola's house not appear when recruiting her, Lola herself stops appearing in the house once she's recruited, and as a bonus, all the new recruitment stuff fits perfectly in the space for the old event for talking to Lola, provided one simplifies the events with the letter and Cyan switching them (a feature I wanted to remove anyway). I also checked all the other times you talk to her and it works fine (playing right from the moment you get the airship to be certain she works fine, and also going back in the WoB). And so far it seems like the game properly notices Umaro/Lola is recruited - she appears aboard the airship, in the party select screen, in shop menus, can be chosen as party leader and looks fine as such, and she works in battle.

The catch is there's an issue with her battle palette. She uses the same Palette 0 that Umaro was using, but is miscolored in battle. I double and triple-checked her palette assignment on recruitment and the battle palette saved for her in usME, all are fine. I tried recoloring her sprite to use Palette 4, using only the first 12 colors (Rydel's patch lets me use 13-16, but just in case). What followed was another miscolored sprite. As another experiment, I took Lola into battle with Edgar, who is also on Palette 0 and uses some of the same colors as Lola; Edgar looks fine. Reimported Umaro's sprite and changed nothing else - looks fine, Reimported Lola and changed nothing else - miscolored in battle.

Soooo yeah. No clue what's going on here.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
So this issue seemingly came about just from changing the event code/recruitment event? That really shouldn't be, yeah. It sounds to me like her battle palette pointer is incorrect or was possibly overwritten for some reason, but if it loads up original Umaro looking fine, then I suppose not. I'm not too sure about this off hand, perhaps if you posted a pic of how she looks messed up in battle, as well as maybe the recruitment event code (even though that shouldn't cause this since Umaro looks fine etc.), that may help identify something, but probably not. I'd most likely have to get my hands on the ROM and do some poking and prodding.

This is a long shot and I definitely don't mean to possibly insult your intelligence by asking this, but by any chance is she under a status effect while you're testing, such as petrify or zombie? That might have her appearing to look discolored...

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
No offense taken, due diligence and all. Nope, no status ailments, used a Tent to be sure.

Here's a screencap of battle and in the field, where it works. Her color indexes are 14 for the hair, 5 and 7 for the bow, and 10 for the main body with 15 for the highlights. The colors she has in battle aren't even consistent. I've always gotten the dark grey body, but her hair has variably been bright green, pink, and bluish-silver.

EDIT - It seems her party position changes her coloration. Directly tested in different battles in the same file, changing her position changes how she appears. Party configuration besides her does not seem to matter.

[Image: M6AX2kX.png] [Image: demNrjN.png] [Image: Punr7Fo.png]

The recruitment code, I can post it but I don't have it annotated like the event dump .txt. It's a bit out of order compared to Umaro's event as I moved things around to get it right. If you want me to send you the Rom I can, I have a save state from directly before recruiting her to test with.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
It looks like the extended palette patch isn't working for her, 'cause this is what happens when the last 4 colors of the palette is used (without the patch). Do any of the other characters use the last 4 colors to check if they're okay still? One test to see if it's working would be to import back Umaro, or whatever sprite was working for you in his spot, and color him in a bit with the last 4 colors and see if this issue happens still, meaning if it does than the patch isn't working for Umaro for some reason or got broken somehow. You did say you tried this one on palette 4, but if you used the last four colors on pal 4 the issue would be the same, if the extended palette patch isn't working anymore. Or you could just color Bloom in without using the last four colors and see if it works then, just to see.

Status
None
(07-09-2017, 04:07 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: You did say you tried this one on palette 4, but if you used the last four colors on pal 4 the issue would be the same, if the extended palette patch isn't working anymore. Or you could just color Bloom in without using the last four colors and see if it works then, just to see.

No, on Palette 4 she used colors 10, 4, 6, and 8. Still didn't work. Checked again to be sure.

If it's the palette expansion, perhaps this is a Rydel problem since he adapted that patch to work for the mod?
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
It could be, I suppose. I can take a look at it but since it does sound like something code-related I doubt I could figure it out, I'm not familiar at all with the inner working of that patch, like if for some reason Umaro/character 0D is not accounted for. It does sound like maybe Rydel could shed some light on it perhaps.

Status
None
A separate problem, spent a few hours on this one to no avail. With Umaro replaced, after beating him he now gives you an item. No problem there, got the whole event working perfectly. The problem I'm having is what comes after; namely, once you've spoken to him once and you've gotten the item, speaking to him again just prompts a basic dialogue box and nothing more.

I started rebuilding the code from after the check for if Mog is in the party. The below is just as the game does it, only with the branch redirected to generic dialogue (I can confirm this part still works).

Code:
CC/D793: DE    Load CaseWord with the characters in the currently active party?
CC/D794: C0    If ($1E80($1AA) [$1EB5, bit 2] is clear), branch to $CCD81C

I decided to use an event bit to see if you've gotten Umaro's item or not. I went with Bit 244, which is apparently unused, and figured it would be easy since Bit 243 is used for the art gallery and I can lift my coding for 244 from that stuff - the Umaro item event sets Bit 244 and then I added a bit to when you talk to him to see if Bit 244 is set and then branch to the generic dialogue..

Code:
CC/D79A: C0   If ($1E80($244) [$1EC8 bit 4] is set), branch to $CCD81C

CC/D817: D4   Set event bit $1E80($244) [$1EC8, bit 4]

For some reason, it doesn't work. The game variably hangs, crashes, or ignores the second check to branch if you've already spoken to Umaro. I've tried rechecking the bit being set, the check for the bit, where it branches, multiple times, including rewriting from scratch multiple times. Again, Bit 243 is used in the game, so I've been copying my code from where it is checked for if its set and how it is set, just modified the 43 to 44 in Hex. I'm obviously overlooking something though. Here's the hex itself to go with the documentation.

[Image: y7t3XwI.png]
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
I have no real time to check this out atm but I do see a bunch of $EA there, shouldn't those be $FD? That would freeze something up, once it returns from the check subcommand/jump. $EA for assembly code $FD for event, for the do nothing/skip byte.

Status
None
While I don't know the technical difference between EA and FD, I can confirm at least they aren't interfering with the event, if I remove the second branch I'm having problems with entirely, the event executes normally. Just in case though I changed the EAs to FDs, the event still doesn't work.
  Find