Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation"

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Thanks, man. I am using the GBA script for NPC and main script; however, if I see that there needs to be a change (like Sabin's "I'm going to hit it with a Blitz!" from the GBA version), I'll change it.

Anyway, UnknownVirus, I don't know about those other translations, and I'd prefer to use the GBA script if possible. We could combine, but we might clash on a lot of things. However, we can still try to combine. Smile Also, I'm fixing the Evade bug, too. I have a patch for it already. Just look at my list of Goals, and you'll see it.

[Image: AegisBanner01.png]

Status
None
Well, I've considered the "clashing" possibility, and I think if each of us made a different patch but had help in the resources dept. there wouldn't be a problem. After all, my own release was supposed to be anonymous and limited, to a bunch of guys in a private message board (and more widely released in Spanish, because the only fan translation in that language is based on TW's version) and if you want to make a wide release, by all means do so. I just want justice for this game.

Gonna go play some more, time for the cave to the sealed gate. I think I'll have to duplicate my rom, I'm running out of savestates.

(10-15-2011, 12:23 PM)xJCSx Wrote: P.S. Remember, the <EOP> instruction via FF3usME in the text editor is your best friend! Laugh I'm sure you already know of it but just wanting to get it out there :p

Amen to that, bro

Status
None
All right. Should we work together then, or not? My plan was to gather as many people as possible and pull a "Pixar" way of running things. In Pixar, when someone has an idea, they become the director, make final calls, etc. It sounds a bit heavy-handed, but the way they do it avoids the layers of management, which can destroy a movie. I was going to apply the same thing to my translation, being the director. We could be "dual" directors, but that's where we'll clash. We could make compromises when we clash, but one of us might not enjoying it.

Overall, the goal is make a decent "translation" that people can enjoy and play without bugs on BSNES, or any emulator.

I hope that doesn't sound hostile. I'm just trying to be realistic. :/

Status
None
I find this idea intriguing — how much of the GBA script are you planning to import, as compared with retranslations of the original Japanese (if you happen to have access to any, that is)?

Also, do you still need help with anything?

Status
None
(10-16-2011, 02:21 PM)Aegis Runestone Wrote: All right. Should we work together then, or not? My plan was to gather as many people as possible and pull a "Pixar" way of running things. In Pixar, when someone has an idea, they become the director, make final calls, etc. It sounds a bit heavy-handed, but the way they do it avoids the layers of management, which can destroy a movie. I was going to apply the same thing to my translation, being the director. We could be "dual" directors, but that's where we'll clash. We could make compromises when we clash, but one of us might not enjoying it.

Overall, the goal is make a decent "translation" that people can enjoy and play without bugs on BSNES, or any emulator.

I hope that doesn't sound hostile. I'm just trying to be realistic. :/
I get what you mean, but I'm not looking to "direct"... I guess I can be some kind of assistant. I just want to learn a thing or two, since I think I reached a wall in my own project. And then I could start making the Spanish fan translation (Which would be my final goal), I would be "directing" that.

(10-16-2011, 10:22 PM)Maël Wrote: I find this idea intriguing — how much of the GBA script are you planning to import, as compared with retranslations of the original Japanese (if you happen to have access to any, that is)?

Good question. The GBA script is a good one, yet it has some parts still straying from the original in a few places (mostly by keeping old Woolsey lines).

Status
None
(10-17-2011, 12:01 AM)UnknownVirus Wrote: I get what you mean, but I'm not looking to "direct"... I guess I can be some kind of assistant. I just want to learn a thing or two, since I think I reached a wall in my own project. And then I could start making the Spanish fan translation (Which would be my final goal), I would be "directing" that.

Ah. Well, then we could work together just fine. Smile Want to help me with the NPC script? That thing is huge, so you should get someone else to help you if you choose to help on NPC script.

(10-16-2011, 10:22 PM)Maël Wrote: I find this idea intriguing — how much of the GBA script are you planning to import, as compared with retranslations of the original Japanese (if you happen to have access to any, that is)?

Also, do you still need help with anything?

Most of the GBA script. I'm going to modify some of the lines to my own taste (mostly influenced by the RPGone translation Tongue) that make more sense.

Edit: Sorry I haven't made any updates. I had an inspirational idea for a short story via a dream last Wednesday night (12th). Well, actually, it inspired an original character, and I forgot 99% of the plot. That's good because I can fill in the plot with stuff that makes sense. Tongue But, I will work on this!

Status
None
(10-17-2011, 12:01 AM)UnknownVirus Wrote:
Good question. The GBA script is a good one, yet it has some parts still straying from the original in a few places (mostly by keeping old Woolsey lines).
I don't really know how much Woolsey changed, though I have no idea what he was thinking substituting "Terra" for "Tina", and "Celes" was probably either meant to be "Ceres" (a Roman goddess) or "Cerise" (the French word for "cherry", which is my guess, since her surname is "Chere"). A few other things, like "Pearl" for "Holy" were interesting, but also unnecessary (and having pearl-elemental magic is nonsensical).

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(10-18-2011, 07:14 PM)Maël Wrote: I don't really know how much Woolsey changed, though I have no idea what he was thinking substituting "Terra" for "Tina", A few other things, like "Pearl" for "Holy" were interesting, but also unnecessary (and having pearl-elemental magic is nonsensical).

If I remember clearly, woolsey had one month or so to translate the whole game. It's commendable that he was able to do it in such a small time frame, but that time frame spells disaster (*cough* Saga Frontier *cough*).

Some things in his translation are unacceptable, like "pearl magic" and the removal of class names from characters, among other things.

Status
None
Naming the spell Pearl was fine — the word has subtle religious undertones, as in "cast not pearls before swine" and "pearl of great price" and all that, and it also looks like exploding pearls, and Nintendo had a policy around that time of censoring out religious content for US releases which it has thankfully dropped — but calling it pearl-elemental was not.

Hasty translations are a recipe for disaster — I've made a few, and they were ridden with errors. Nothing so extensive as a whole game, but full of errors nevertheless.

Status
None
I think "Pearl" is still wrong, and I'm going to call it "Holy" as it's supposed to be called. Tongue

Yeah, I'm going to take time with my "translation."