Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation"

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Final Fantasy VI - The Redemption Translation for SNES FF3.

Statement
-I am attempting to make my own translation for the SNES version of FF6 using FF3 as a base that will work on most, if not all emulators; BSNES in specific. I'll be using tools like Atlas, FF3usME, patches that are already proven to work with BSNES, and the GBA version of FF6 for reference. I will need help for this project, hence why I am posting it here. When all the script comes together--the Main Script, the NPC Script, etc.--I will look over it, make final calls on grammar errors, apply the fixes and release the translation as a patch! I know this is a large, and hard project I've undertaken, therefore, I will need help (as stated before) from anyone who has the desire to help.

Current Version: 0.60

Download: N/A

Screenshots:

Restored Logo
Introduction Shot (using Poco Loco's GBA font)
Wedge talking about the frozen esper (see above for font)
Biggs's unease about Terra (Same font; changed script)

NOTE: You'll need the FF3 rom, not the FF6 rom.

Creator
-Aegis Runestone- Job: Main Script/Item/Spell names/Esper Names/Ability Names/Enemy Names

Assistants
PJM
Angelo26

Beta Testers
(I obviously will need beta testers to make sure the rom works on BSNES without corruption to the .srm file)
the_randomizer

Coders (?)
If the current patches that I have do not work with BSNES (I have the word of one person that they do), then I'll need a coder or two to get what I want done.

Statuses
-Applied - This item has been patched/changed.
-Ready - The item is ready for patching, but not yet used.
-In Progress - The item is a work in progress and not finished yet.
-Just started - This item is just barely beginning to be worked on.
-Not started - This item hasn't been touched yet.

Goals
-Restore the FF3 Logo to the original FF6 Logo (Status: Applied)
-Bring in the GBA script with some of my own changes (Status: In Progress)
-Change grammatical errors in the script (Status: In Progress)
-Change the one-column item slot to a two column item slot (Status: Not started - not sure if I want to do it*)
-Add class names (Status: Ready)
-Restore skill names to their proper name (Status: Ready)
-Restore enemy names (Status: Not started)
-Restore Spell names (Status: Ready)
-Restore item names (Status: Ready)
-Increase the character limit for items and descriptions (Status: Ready - Sorta)
-Reduce font size so that the GBA script can fit in the text boxes (especially the opening script) (Status: Applied)
-Fix the Evade Bug (Status: Ready**)
-Fix the Summon Animation bug (Status: Ready)
-Fix the Psycho Cyan bug (Status: Ready)
-Fix the Rippler bug (Status: Ready)
-(Optional) Fix the Vanish/Doom bug (Status: Ready)

*I've been told that a one-column item menu is better than two columns because I'd have more space to work with. I want to try a two-column first, and if it doesn't work, then a single column one.
**The patches given to me may or may not work well with BSNES, I only have the word of one person. Thus, I may need some coders for help since I can't code worth beans.

Planned Programs to use:
-FF3usME - Change font, etc.
-Atlas - Modify text
-??? - Character length increase, etc.

Current Issues:
-None

What do I mean by "Redemption?"
-I am redeeming FF6 from bad grammar.
-Redeeming it from a buggy Japanese->English translation (no offense to RPGone) on BSNES.
-Redeeming it from the normal FF3/6 bugs.

Why do you call it a "translation"?
-Because "rewrite" sounds lame, and it is technically translating one script to another (if someone has a correct term for this type of project that is better than "rewrite" I will accept it).

Why BSNES?
-BSNES is a clean, accurate emulator that is great to use. It's my preferred emulator. Granted, Snes9x has come a far way itself, but I just prefer BSNES.

Credits
-Angelo26 for the Restored Names patch.
-Poco Loco for the GBA font.
(This will be updated later. I promise. Names of those who made GBA FAQs will be placed here, as well as people who made the patches).

Comments? Suggestions? Volunteers to help?

[Image: AegisBanner01.png]

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(10-08-2011, 06:23 PM)Aegis Runestone Wrote: Goals
-Add class names (Status: Not started)
-Restore skill names to their proper name (Status: Not started)
-Restore Spell names (Status: Not started)

My patch will help you accomplish some of your goals, did you check it out? https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...p?tid=1127

Here are my comments on some of your goals:
(10-08-2011, 06:23 PM)Aegis Runestone Wrote: Goals
-Change the one-column item slot to a two column item slot (Status: Not started - not sure if I want to do it*)
-Restore item names (Status: Not started)

To have two-column items, I believe you need to be quite knowledgeable in writing assembly code to change the way in which the game writes item names...sounds complicated XD

With regards to restoring item names, I've tried many times in the past, with mixed results. In a nutshell, the game fetches item names from a specific location and displays them in battle and in menu. I've had an almost guaranteed success in restoring item names for the menu, but a problem persists when displaying items in battle...The problem is, when you expand item names to say, 16 letters, when you access edgar's "Tools" command, the names are messed up and there's no way to fix the problem.

See the issue in more detail here: http://slickproductions.org/forum/index....pic=1489.0

Hope that helps!

Status
None
Thanks! Yeah, I was looking at your patch, and I PMed you about it.

So, items in battle create a problem, eh? I'll, or a coder, will try to find a way around that, hopefully.

Also, I'm not a coder, as mentioned, but I'm looking for some good ones, especially those familiar with BSNES.

Edit: Ah, I see the problem... sorta. Like I said, I don't understand code a lot, but maybe a smaller font might help. Tahoma at 8pt works well for dialogue, I just need to make one for the menu/battle fonts. Unless, your patch overrides fonts imported via FF3usME.

Status
None
(10-09-2011, 12:26 PM)Aegis Runestone Wrote: Edit: Ah, I see the problem... sorta. Like I said, I don't understand code a lot, but maybe a smaller font might help. Tahoma at 8pt works well for dialogue, I just need to make one for the menu/battle fonts. Unless, your patch overrides fonts imported via FF3usME.

My patch does not over writes any fonts. I only change names. There is an issue that I am aware of, and it's when you use control on a monster...however, I've got no idea on how to fix it. Check the pic below to see if you can spot the problem with the patch.

[Image: imgshk.png]

Status
None
The character names get cut off.

This is a big problem. We'll definitely need some other coders to assist in fixing this problem. :/

Edit: Updated current issues.

Edit 2: Added Screenshots.

Status
None
I'm doing a similar project, I call it "FF6 Revised"... Some of your goals are similar to mine (though I'm not a fan of changing the font TOO much) and I have my own redone script though I'm currently fixing the paragraphs and fixing some lines. Maybe we can help eachother somewhat? I can give you a rundown of what I've done and plan to do - my project is far simpler than yours, though (except for the fact that I plan to make a Spanish version, too)

Status
None
Sure. I've already changed the font to the GBA one that Poco Loco made and it looks fine. Also, are you using the GBA script? If so, can you do a part of the NPC script for me? I'll do something for you.

Status
None
I'm not, but I'm currently replaying FF6A to check NPC dialogue just in case (I'm at the WoB), so you can tell me what you need. I've been messing with this for more than a year, it's too late to drop this.

My own script is based around GBA, the Lina Darkstar translation and KWhazit's own translation (sadly incomplete) while leaving some SNES lines if they convey the meaning well enough, and putting my own spin in the dialogue localization of some lines, while not altering the original meaning (Adapting the dialogue is important - an overly literal script can be boring and hard to follow, but changing it too much detracts from the original. I consider Woolsey's and RPGone's the opposite extremes of that scale). Somehow it's ending up smaller in size, I think it's because of my choice in words.
Also, I'm formatting the text boxes like in the Japanese version:

Quote:__________________________
|Guy 1: This is a short example
| of the indent I'm using.
|Guy 2: It's like in the original
| Japanese version.
|_________________________
| begins, right?"
| at least in the original font.

Oh, and about my goals:
- Make item, monster and spell names closer to the original or closer to the rest of the FF games (Done)
- Use long spell names + class names (I used Angelo's patch for this).
- B button dash (I was gonna use MasterZed's patch)
- Restore graphics (Pub sign -gonna use YY-CHR-, censored espers and enemies and original FFVI logo - the last one is the most important)
- Fix the evade bug and sketch bug, not sure if I want the rippler and multi-stealing bugs fixed
- Optional, most likely I won't do it: Put the Czar/Kaiser Dragon as a superboss.

Now, I was working on a ROM patched with Angelo's long spell name fix (which it requires a clean ROM), then editing with FFusME and WindHex (for the long spell names) and I tested the graphic fix patches I found (FF6 logo by Yazoo and original graphics by Terii Senshi), but the enemy graphics glitched out badly. I tried patching the other way around, but everything disappeared once I applied the long spell name IPS. Maybe there's another way to change both things without one conflicting with another. For now I'll keep working in the script.

Status
None
(10-14-2011, 10:57 PM)UnknownVirus Wrote: Oh, and about my goals:
- Use long spell names + class names (I used Angelo's patch for this).
It's nice that my patch is receiving some love Tongue

(10-14-2011, 10:57 PM)UnknownVirus Wrote: Now, I was working on a ROM patched with Angelo's long spell name fix (which it requires a clean ROM), then editing with FFusME and WindHex (for the long spell names) and I tested the graphic fix patches I found (FF6 logo by Yazoo and original graphics by Terii Senshi), but the enemy graphics glitched out badly. I tried patching the other way around, but everything disappeared once I applied the long spell name IPS. Maybe there's another way to change both things without one conflicting with another. For now I'll keep working in the script.
I suggest applying all other patches to your ROM first, make sure everything works OK, and then do all the changes that you need. Apply my patch at almost the end of your project. The patch will remove the header from your rom, which might result in problems when using usME or when applying other patches to the game.

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
My reply to this thread is at a bad place, following Angelo's heh, but this seems like an awesome idea Smile
Many hackers are/have working/worked on such a patch, but this one seems very promising! I can't help too terribly much but if you ever need to ADD text to a particular scene, (i.e. You want to add more dialogue in a scene because of an original vagueness in Ted Woolsey's version) hit me up and I can provide some event instructions for adding some text.
I hope I'm understanding you right, you're translating (probably not the correct term, but it's all good) the game to your very own, intended version and not the GBA version?
If so, then I can see where you might wish to add more text here and there and I'll do my best to provide offsets and instructions to display more text and the various ID's of the text so you can edit it in FF3usME. Wink
Contrary to a lot of belief, a good portion of text placed in the FF3/6 ROM is unused. Not to mention there's text that you might not care for that can be used, namely from NPC's.
So yeah, this is just me offering any assistance I can in the "field" text arena. Battle and Menu text is WAY more on Angelo's arena. But even still, Angelo is an uber awesome event editor so if I'm not around, he can defintely help ya in that regard too Laugh
Best wishes to this project!

P.S. Remember, the <EOP> instruction via FF3usME in the text editor is your best friend! Laugh I'm sure you already know of it but just wanting to get it out there :p

*UNRELATED P.S.S. I should probably edit my signature photo saying 500 x XX pixels heh. Sorry about that forum leaders, haven't been here awhile :p

[Image: funnysiga.jpg]

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
http://www.youtube.com/user/xJCSx1
  Find