Poll: FFVI: Great game, or greatest game?
This poll is closed.
Great 35.00% 7 35.00%
Greatest 65.00% 13 65.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Relocalization Project

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
So far I tested your patch on the entire Kefka battle and all of the battle backgrounds in the World of Ruin, including Daryl's Tomb. I checked a couple in the World of Balance too, seems like no issues. I then applied my patch over it and it runs with no issues as well. This is a major accomplishment, Dr Meat! I am so thrilled to finally be able to consider my personal hack complete. I am going to release an updated version of mine with you in the credits of the readme.

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
(09-08-2014, 09:55 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: So far I tested your patch on the entire Kefka battle and all of the battle backgrounds in the World of Ruin, including Daryl's Tomb. I checked a couple in the World of Balance too, seems like no issues. I then applied my patch over it and it runs with no issues as well. This is a major accomplishment, Dr Meat! I am so thrilled to finally be able to consider my personal hack complete. I am going to release an updated version of mine with you in the credits of the readme.

I'm glad I could help! I'll continue to playtest my own project, and if I run into any battle background-related issues I will make sure to let you know Smile
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Excellent work, Dr. Meat! Finally every piece of graphics from the japanese ROM is able to be patched into FF3us. Quite an accomplishment, indeed!

I'm currently playing through a game of FFVI Randomizer, I'll apply and playtest this patch while I do that. Just to be clear, fb-uncensored.zip contains ONLY the changes to tier 2 and 3 of the final battle background graphics, right?

On a related note, I actually opened up the Zozo battle background graphics in Peer Sprite Viewer and discovered the same thing you said, that the signs there are actually part of the map tileset. I then went through the ROM with YY-CHR and replaced all the signs manually and made my own standalone patch before I saw this post. Ah well, it was a learning experience. Laugh It would be neat to find out where and how these tilemaps are stored so we could edit, import and create entirely new backgrounds.

Speaking of creating new content, I discovered there are actually four Cafe signs. The first two come from the Town and Zozo tileset, and the third is the "coffee cup" sign from the Village tileset used in Kohlingen. The fourth one is part of the Vector tileset and is sadly unused, because of the giant steel beams obscuring the spot next to the door where the sign would be. Wouldn't it be neat if this piece of content was actually featured in the map? Well, I went ahead and made a map hack that moves the beams and places the sign where it should be. Takes all of two minutes to do in Zone Doctor so I haven't bothered to make an IPS, but I think it could be a part of a larger hack with the aim to restore unused content...
  Find

Status
None
(09-09-2014, 08:18 AM)seibaby Wrote: Just to be clear, fb-uncensored.zip contains ONLY the changes to tier 2 and 3 of the final battle background graphics, right?

Yup! It just contains some data from the battle background/compressed graphics pointer tables, as well as whatever data is different in the compressed graphics themselves. No pub signs or anything like that, if that's what you mean.

Quote:Speaking of creating new content, I discovered there are actually four Cafe signs. The first two come from the Town and Zozo tileset, and the third is the "coffee cup" sign from the Village tileset used in Kohlingen. The fourth one is part of the Vector tileset and is sadly unused, because of the giant steel beams obscuring the spot next to the door where the sign would be. Wouldn't it be neat if this piece of content was actually featured in the map? Well, I went ahead and made a map hack that moves the beams and places the sign where it should be. Takes all of two minutes to do in Zone Doctor so I haven't bothered to make an IPS, but I think it could be a part of a larger hack with the aim to restore unused content...

There's a cafe/pub sign in Narshe's tileset too. It also goes unused as far as I'm aware, but it's changed in that IPS from my previous post, nonetheless Tongue

It would be kinda cool to see a project that seeks to insert some of those unused or simply underused graphics! Give the game a slight facelift, in a way Smile
  Find

Status
None
Just to let you folks who may have used the final battle background decensor patch - it seems to cause a softlock on fights that use the wavy background from the first area of Cyan's soul. I'm sure this is some kind of pointer thing, probably... I'm working on it, but uh... maybe don't use it for now.

If anyone has any ideas about fixing this I'd love to hear 'em!

UPDATE: Should be fixed now. Let me know if it's broken anywhere else!

Grab it here!
  Find

Status
None
If anyone happened to download this, there's a new version out that fixes some things and adds the uncensored graphics~

https://sites.google.com/site/ff6relocalized/download

Also there's a page where you can look at the changelog and download old versions if you want to do that for some reason.

https://sites.google.com/site/ff6relocal...d-versions

Oh and if you'd like to see some more screenshots and stuff, a friend of mine is doing a screenshot LP on Twitter!

https://twitter.com/grasslamb
  Find

Status
None
Nice to see you still working on the final battle uncensoring patch! I only tested most of the WoB backgrounds and had not yet gotten to the dream sequence with Cyan when you made the update. I would like to see your notes on working with the backgrounds since I got interested when you made your first post and have been trying to do some stuff.
  Find

Status
None
(09-18-2014, 05:35 AM)seibaby Wrote: Nice to see you still working on the final battle uncensoring patch! I only tested most of the WoB backgrounds and had not yet gotten to the dream sequence with Cyan when you made the update. I would like to see your notes on working with the backgrounds since I got interested when you made your first post and have been trying to do some stuff.

To be honest I don't really have... "notes". The data was pretty much just copy-pasted out of the Japanese ROM. I didn't have to use a program to extract and recompress the graphics or anything. I literally just identified where the graphics started in the Japanese ROM, copied them into the US ROM, and changed the pointers accordingly.

I went into more detail on what I specifically did in this post: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...4#pid22844
There's more info on address ranges affected and stuff too.

Like I mentioned in that previous post, I kind of did the patch in a cheatery sort of way and didn't really learn much about how the compression works. However if you'd like I could go back into the ROM and at least identify the addresses where specific background graphics start in the Japanese ROM if that's something you're interested in.

http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/f...fsets.html
Go to 271850 for the background data.

But if you want to create NEW backgrounds, I'm afraid I can't really help you, I'm sorry. The only thing I've gleaned from this process about the compressed graphics is that it seems really complex and looks like a lot of the battle backgrounds are made out of a combination of tiles from graphics tilesets used in towns/dungeons/etc as well as compressed graphics in the E7/E8/E9 banks. It wouldn't be as easy and just taking an image and compressing/inserting it, I think.

Sorry I can't help you more. Sad
But if you have specific questions I can at least TRY to answer them.
  Find

Status
None
Quote:To be honest I don't really have... "notes".

That's ok, I was just wondering if you had found anything interesting out that you had not yet posted. I was mostly curious about the details on the problems you had with the patch and how you solved them.
I read your original long post with the details and I think I understand what you did. Then there was the trouble with the background in Cyan's dream and how did you fix that?

I think your way of doing it is just fine. I guess what I'd like to be able to do is shift graphic blocks around a little and be able to adjust the pointer table accordingly so I can insert modified blocks of graphics that are of different sizes than the originals.

I am not really trying to create new backgrounds yet, just tinkering to see how things work. For now I am trying to modify existing tiles. I slightly changed the T2 background by extracting with Peer Sprite Viewer, modifying with YY-CHR, then recompressing it.
Miraculously, it worked and T3 loads just fine. I haven't checked, but I guess the compressed block of modified graphics turned out the same size as the original (or smaller, I guess).

However, when I tried the same thing with the T3 background, it screwed things up. Probably the compressed block was bigger after the change, and overwrote the first few bytes of the next compressed block of graphics (the Kefka background).
I'm not sure, but I THINK that the first few bytes of each block are some kind of header of the compression format or something? Overwriting it doesn't just mess up the graphics, it crashes the game.

So I recompressed the modified graphics into a block of empty space in an expanded ROM and compared the size, and sure enough it was a few bytes bigger. I dumped the recompressed block to a file and now all I have to do is push all the graphics following the T2 block into that stretch of empty space near the end of the graphics block to make space, then reinsert it, and adjust the pointers.

I guess what I'm not exactly clear about is that pointer table and where the graphics are in the japanese ROM. I shouldn't even need to know where stuff is, just adjust each entry in the pointer table by however many bytes I move things, but there are some bytes at the end of the pointer table that seem to point to lower offsets than the previous ones, and I'm not sure what that is about.
How long is that pointer table by the way? Is it the same size as in FF3us?

Quote:However if you'd like I could go back into the ROM and at least identify the addresses where specific background graphics start in the Japanese ROM if that's something you're interested in.

The japanese pointer table in the ROM holds all those offsets so it's pretty trivial to find out, assuming the graphics are ordered the same way as in FF3us, just shifted so the offsets are different?
I think I can map that out myself with the pointer table and Peer Sprite Viewer, so you should do it only if you're interested yourself.
I've looked at that list of offsets at Lord J's site, and it only lists offsets for FF3us, it would be nice to fill it out with the japanese offsets too, and possibly some better descriptions.
  Find

Status
None
(09-19-2014, 08:00 AM)seibaby Wrote: I read your original long post with the details and I think I understand what you did. Then there was the trouble with the background in Cyan's dream and how did you fix that?

This was just a pointer issue. The Cyan dream background is the first after the final battle backgrounds and I, like a doofus, had accidentally copied its pointer out of the Japanese ROM too, which made it crash on load.

Quote:I think your way of doing it is just fine. I guess what I'd like to be able to do is shift graphic blocks around a little and be able to adjust the pointer table accordingly so I can insert modified blocks of graphics that are of different sizes than the originals.

Since the pointers for the background graphics are 3 bytes long, I believe you should be able to move them to literally anywhere in the ROM. I haven't tested this at all, though. If that's the case, you wouldn't have to worry about things things being the right size - as long as the right pointer in the table is aiming at the right data, it ought to work.

Quote:I am not really trying to create new backgrounds yet, just tinkering to see how things work. For now I am trying to modify existing tiles. I slightly changed the T2 background by extracting with Peer Sprite Viewer, modifying with YY-CHR, then recompressing it.
Miraculously, it worked and T3 loads just fine. I haven't checked, but I guess the compressed block of modified graphics turned out the same size as the original (or smaller, I guess).

That's pretty awesome! You could presumably uncensor those graphics in a cleaner way than I did, then. Nice work. Smile

Quote:I guess what I'm not exactly clear about is that pointer table and where the graphics are in the japanese ROM. I shouldn't even need to know where stuff is, just adjust each entry in the pointer table by however many bytes I move things, but there are some bytes at the end of the pointer table that seem to point to lower offsets than the previous ones, and I'm not sure what that is about.
How long is that pointer table by the way? Is it the same size as in FF3us?

The graphics are in ALMOST exactly the same place as in the US ROM - they start in the same place, but once you hit tier 2 of the final battle the graphics are slightly different so everything gets offset a little bit.

To go into a bit more detail on the pointer table - it is the same size as in FF3US. It's at 271850/E71850 (headered) in the FF6J, just like in the FF3US. Ends at 271930/E71930. Since the graphics are spread all over the E banks, it uses 3 bytes for its pointers to hit them all. So you SHOULD be able to change those to point anywhere in a 32mb ROM.

As for the table jumping all over the ROM, that seems to because the ROM simply the stores graphics all over the E banks and those backgrounds pull from a variety of places. Most of the battle backgrounds seem to be constructed from tiles similar to how towns and dungeons are (I think?) and the amount of space they occupy is not huge. But there's some like the final battle backgrounds that take up a TON more space and are probably stored a bit more like a typical compressed image? Not sure about that, but I know that those backgrounds take up almost as much space as all the rest of the compressed backgrounds combined, if that pointer table is to be believed.

But yeah the table is kind of all over the place. It goes from banks E7 and E8 back to E1, E2, E4, E5, back to E8, back to E4... It's really weird. It's probably made in the order the devs created/added the backgrounds rather than a logical order (such as the order they're actually stored in the ROM).

Did that make ANY sense...? Tongue

Quote:The japanese pointer table in the ROM holds all those offsets so it's pretty trivial to find out, assuming the graphics are ordered the same way as in FF3us, just shifted so the offsets are different?
I've looked at that list of offsets at Lord J's site, and it only lists offsets for FF3us, it would be nice to fill it out with the japanese offsets too, and possibly some better descriptions.

Yeah that's more what I was getting at! The backgrounds are (as far as I can tell) in the same order in the table in both versions. It'd be nice to get some more info on which backgrounds are where, but I don't think I'll be doing that (at least right away, maybe later).

Let me know if I didn't answer your questions right or if you have more questions or something. Happy to help further. Tongue
  Find