FF6 style GBA adult Rydia

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
::EDIT:: current progress:
[Image: b1llygo4t-ff4-adult-rydia.png]

A few years ago I started working on a FF6 style Adult Rydia sprite sheet. I posted about it here, but I uploaded the image to the forum which in turn was deleted and the thread lingered and was closed. then my hard drive went belly up. =( I found a copy the other day though and I decided to finish it. I have seen a few Rydia sheets floating around, but they all seem to be made from the ground up and incomplete. mine are based off of the GBA port and I think they look great. I think I'm convert it to the SNES colors though.

Is there a sprite making tutorial or thread with info I can use? I Have some questions and issues.

I downloaded FF3usME and exported a sprite sheet of Terra and just started copy/pasting my Rydia sprites on top. when i try to import my sprite it spits out "Pixel data eeper than what SNES palette can hold" how do I rectify that?

After reading up I realize that the sprites all share palettes. I also read that you can use a hex editor to assign a sprite to use an unused palette? can anyone expand on that? what is the best method of importing sprites that need a unique palette?
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 6
Status
None
You should take a look at Lord Sutubenu's thread, it is loaded full of useful information:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...hp?tid=667

Aside from that, I also suggest you have an image editing program like Photoshop or Gimp. Gimp is pretty great because it is free and pretty straight-forward. You can use these to reduce your completed spritesheet palette to only 16 colours if you screw up somewhere along the way and accidentally go over 16.

If you have any other questions don't be too shy to ask, we're all here to help each other.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-12-2013, 05:47 AM)b1llygo4t Wrote: After reading up I realize that the sprites all share palettes. I also read that you can use a hex editor to assign a sprite to use an unused palette? can anyone expand on that? what is the best method of importing sprites that need a unique palette?

You can do anything with an hex editor, but since the editor can do it for you it's much faster this way. The method to import a sprite is always the same, no matter if you want him to have a unique palette or not. What you will need to do is reorganize your palettes and have a unique palette from palette 0 to 6 for battle palettes and 0 to 5 for overwold palette. As an example, Terra has unique palettes (OW:04, BT:02).

As for doing this by hex, there is 8 battle palettes and they start at 0x2D6500 (ED/6500) and their assignments starts at 0x02D02B (C2/D02B). As for overworld palettes, there is 32 palettes. The first 6 are for characters and rest are used for other things such as NPCs and effects. Their offset is 0x268200 (E6/8200). As for the assignments, some are done through events (for characters). The rest are assigned in the NPC data.

Find

Status
None
Awesome! thanks a ton for the information guys, thats exactly what I needed. I'm sure I will have more questions and keep posting at least until I have some sort of working patch to go with these sprites.

I use good old MSPaint to do all my sprite editing, I have used the gimp and tried photoshop but for some reason it just seems like a task. For all my pallet limit sizing needs I found this .PNG quantizer a while back when I was making Worms Armageddon maps http://www.lemoda.net/png/quantize/index.cgi I have also used this browser image editor http://pixlr.com/editor/ its quite handy
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
ouch thats a no no right there NEVER use ms paint 4 character sprites

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 39
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
(03-13-2013, 02:51 PM)Poco d(-_-)b Loco Wrote: ouch thats a no no right there NEVER use ms paint 4 character sprites

No NEVER, that was the issue I was always running into. FF3se and USME is what I do my spriting on, Paint may look good, but it just does not do well.

Find

Status
None
Laugh MSPaint 4 life son!

this is the 3rd game I have done sprite work on solely using MSpaint. after dealing with Worms' messed up pallet limitations this isn't much.

the part i'm hung up on is making good custom sprites for angry and laying on the ground
  Find

Status
None
dude its gonna affect anything and everything, including battle stats, lets not forget NPC's

I use the relm sprite editor personally

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 11
Status
None
That must explain why the battle stats on all my characters are effed up, I alter my sprites in MS Paint or FF3se. Looks like I'll have to scrap all my projects and start over.
Finger
  Find

Status
None
you can do a different approach look at your old 1 as a reference and create your new 1 while looking at them side by side

-HNIC