Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Up and coming FFVI portrait re-vamp

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
yo Lijj u are quite possibly one of the best pixel artists I've ever seen, I've done a bit of free lance here and there (other then FF6 chars of course) but I feel like such a novice compared to you and I am greatly impressed,

can u take a look @ my custom portraits and give me some advice as to what direction I can go towards?

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hey Poco Loco. I saw the two ports you put up and I can see we have a similar ideal! You have color choices I like and values are similar to what I'm going for. I like the ammount of contrast you use also. The Vargas is actually quite nice. I'd just say perhaps when shading hair think of the shapes as ribbon. That has helped me a lot for some reason. That's cool you have done freelance. I'd like to get into that sort of thing possibly. I'll have more time later to check out the custom work on this site; I have been busy for the last 2 days.
I haven't really been into pixeling long.. you should see my 1st sprite lol .. I only made about 6 months ago. I tried to make a Terra for Final fantasy Tactics, It was rejected actually(@FFH..I think I saw you posted there).. which means it had to be really bad.
I have to say they kind of molded me at ffhacktics..I'm not advertising, but because of how people there for some reason were extra demanding to me particularly. I thought it was some sort of jinx.. but it made me one of the better spriters there. You can go through each sprite frame by frame and not find 1 error which is pretty rare when it comes to custom sprites. Usually there is a few errors in the face or hair colliding with the arms etc.
This guy JimmyJW88 used to ride my ass on every post til I started making better ports/sprites than him heh. Now he's gone. I used to get so annoyed but his nagging in the end it helped. But the reason it bothered me was because other people were putting out sprites full of errors whilst getting no feedback or critisism yet mine were being fully scrutinized to every pixel. I'm not sure why the crits honed in on me.. must of been because the first sprite had so many issues.
ConfusedNewer Gallery
  Find

Status
None
thank you very much Lijj I appreciate the feedback, yea pixel art is very difficult to get into with no experience but on the bright side once you get good, all u can do is get better

speaking of FFH I am sure you heard of Zozma (I actually recently got back in contact with him), I commend and am inspired by his work

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Just wanted to note that I really like the Celes and Cyan portraits and anyone who tells you that there's anything wrong with them ought to have their monitor examined~

The rest are pretty good too, but there's probably room for improvement on some of those.

Also, the Terra one is amazing, but you said that one's not yours.

Would like to see the Locke portrait get a mouth next!

Status
None
Thanks for the input Djinn. For the mouth; maybe some darker pixels there. Yeah that Terra one's my favorite (praise Smash).
Latest:
[Image: imgshk.png]

I want to finish these; just have other things to finish first.
[Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png]_[Image: imgshk.png]_[Image: imgshk.png]_[Image: imgshk.png]:P
  Find

Status
None
hahahaha nice

-HNIC

Status
None
Beautiful work.

But so you know, I just tried importing these into a rom to see how they would look in game and many of them won't work because they have too many colors.

Terra, Celes, Cyan, Wedge, Locke and Relm don't work.

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
FFVI I believe uses the full 16 colors for sprite portraits. If they don't use that many, you'll have to reduce them somehow.
  Find

Status
None
hmm, I wonder if the limit is 15+trans or16+trans.. been a awhile since i've messed w/ ff6se. What's odd is a couple of the ones you listed are less than 15 unless there was an accident..
I'll figure it out; thanks for checking them out in-game
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
It's 15+transparent