Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Up and coming FFVI portrait re-vamp

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(12-17-2010, 09:23 PM)angelo26 Wrote: Those are awesome, especially terra and locke. Will you try to do portraits for ultros, general leo or kefka?

Ultros never got a portrait for himseld ;[
Yeah I'd like to do that.. Ultros would actually be fun.

I completely re-did Celes:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/...ic=11319.0
I'll be updating again soonLaugh
(I like the forum's smileys)
  Find

Status
None
For the portrait iirc they are up to 16- colors plus transparent.... right?
If so I'm good because most are 15 colors one or two might be 16.. I f the colors are 16+ transparent then great.

[Image: index.php?topic=11319.0]

added Setzer and Cyan
  Find

Status
None
Halp
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/...ic=11319.0
This know it all (Evil Eye) keeps posting in my thread.. I wanted to see what the deal was with this guy.. turns out he is a failed game designer with a dead end project in the works. This game has some of the worst graphics I've ever seen, terrible menus, portraits and poor colors(his words for mine).
Play "RandomLand" for 5 minutes to understand my loathing.. (If you can take even that long; it's also the most boring and repetitive game ever)
How can I take any advice seriously from someone promoting a game like that?- chocked full of bad portraits too.. esp. the ninja lol.
This f**k*r even followed me to ffhacktics.com to crit me there. Reminds me of someone else I know... another failed game designer with a huge ego.
He probably actually wants me to help with his hopeless project.. I know how these creatures work.

FFVI Hacking is my only refuge!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with that guy's critiquing you, other than it is rather harsh. But it does not appear that he is trolling you, or trying to bash your work just for the sake of it. In fact, I would have to agree with most of his concerns.

"I wanted to see what the deal was with this guy.. turns out he/she's a failed game designer with a dead end project in the works. This game has some of the worst graphics I've ever seen, terrible menus, portraits and poor colors.
Play "RandomLand" for 5 minutes to understand my loathing.. (If you can take even that ong; it's also the most boring and repetive game ever)"

I can only assume this is the game in question, due to the fact you provided no link:
http://www.sploder.com/games/members/ac5...andomland/

While not stellar, It's not THAT bad. It sounds to me like your bashing him a lot worse, than him critiquing your portraits. I really don't think he's doing it just to be an ass, or out of jealousy, or to sound superior to you. Your portraits are very nice, and I think this dude is just trying to push you to make them as good as possible. I, myself, love getting honest feedback from others, regardless how harsh it is. Try not to get offended by others opinions! Especially if you post them on a forum.

"This f**k*r even followed me to ffhacktics.com to crit me there. Reminds me of someone else I know... another failed game designer with a huge ego.
He probably actually wants me to help with his hopeless project.. I know how these creatures work."

Sounds like your ego is a little inflated by that comment. I don't see him asking you for any help or anything >_> You have made an assumption that so far has no merit whatsoever. You could always tell him flat out, "FU, Evileye, I don't care for your opinion, nor do I require any help from you!" before you come here and ask for "halp" I'm still not sure what you mean by that either. You want us to hate spam his pm box or something? Homey don't play that.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
Nah Gi... I don't want you guys to flame him or anything lol.. I don't know why I'm posting all this I'm just annoyed that he came to FFH too. apparently not make anything or learn ffh 's style but to only post in my thread there.
I usually don't mind feedback or criticism actually.. but I have to see that person understands what they are talking about. We just have opposite aesthetics I guess lol.
Actually it's not that game... that one might actually be fun.
I'm not sure if he made that one.
This one:
RANDOMLAND
Which really is bad...

Well good points Gi-Nattak. I guess I'm just frustrated because it's not really helping me out. Also as one of my inspirations a pixeler named Smash said "Pixel art is hell"

Yes my assumption is based only on speculation but he also just reminds me of someone who I recently worked on a patch with that pulled out suddenly leaving all our work in the dust. So it is kind of lame of me to assume that based on only his presence.
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
I'll probably use these in a rom hack, if that's okay that is.
You may or may not know this, but FFVI uses 40x40 portrait sizes. If they aren't that, I'll crop them into that resolution.

There are a few things that kind of bother me about these. Sabin looks a bit odd, Mog doesn't really look like his FFVI incantation, and Strago's hair looks strange. Just my opinions although.
  Find

Status
None
Ya sure you can use them.
It gives more of a reason to finish them
Newer Gallery
Confused
I'll redo all the above requested as well.
I kind of like Sabin for a personal reason only.
Though he does look pretty weird.
I didn't think about the light source being to much til' it was too late. In the original portrait the light source comes from the side too but it's not so intense.
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Status
None
I have a bit of a problem when it comes to Sabin and Edgar...even in the game you can still quite easily tell (despite the difference in style) that they are twins, whereas Edgar is more cartoonish and "watercolor" Sabin is more realistic, but you can definitely tell that they are twins....

From seeing these portraits....they look nothing alike; they could be strangers for all the differences between them... I guess you can pull it off and say "fraternal" twins but...they aren't fraternal... The only reason Sabin would look a bit less like Edgar is because of him being trained as a beefy monk...
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Not relevant to this topic, but nice avatar. :p
I always liked Kain.
  Find

Status
None
Thanks I ended up staying up late and making a double size Rydia as well:[Image: kainrydia.gif]
how cool would a high rez version of one of the classics be?!
@Zeemis:
Will you be needing any custom monsters for this patch? I'd be interested in trying that style. Some of the best pixel art ever in FFVI enemies! Also is there a way I can chat with this community on IRC with mirc? the java doesn't work right for me.
@Ren Sama: Surely I'll keep that in mind.. now planning on re-doing Sabin for sure.
  Find