Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Changes in Menu

Status
None
Hello I'm new here, but this forum is awesome, I am playing ff6 a lot better hehe. My problem is that I want to change the "SwdTech" word of Cyan for "Bushido" or "Sword" or other word but I don't know how to do that... In battle commands I know how to do, I use FF6usME and rename the word in battle editor but that is just for battle commands, I want it to be in Menu too... If I only can with hex edit, ok, but please help me.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(04-09-2011, 01:48 PM)daldec Wrote: Hello I'm new here, but this forum is awesome, I am playing ff6 a lot better hehe. My problem is that I want to change the "SwdTech" word of Cyan for "Bushido" or "Sword" or other word but I don't know how to do that... In battle commands I know how to do, I use FF6usME and rename the word in battle editor but that is just for battle commands, I want it to be in Menu too... If I only can with hex edit, ok, but please help me.

Welcome to the site Laugh

FF6usME will only change the name of the command in battle.

The game stores the commands in two places: one of them is for the battle use, and the second one is for using it in the menu.

If you are familiar with hex editing, that shouldn't be too complicated. If not, it's time to get your hands dirty Confused

The bank that contains everything related to the menu is bank C3. In the menu, as far as I recall, there are three instances in which the Swdtech word is used: (1)In the skills sub menu, (2) when you select Swdtech from the skills sub menu, and you are able to see all of the learned swdtechs, there's a small box with the word "Swdtech" at the top right of the screen; and (3) when you double click a weapon in the items menu to see its properties, the word "Swdtech" will appear there as well.

These three instances can be found in the following addresses:

Code:
C3/5C59:    8D7A92B09D939E9CA100  (position of and word "SwdTech")

C3/5CB8:    B78192B09D939E9CA100  (position of and word "SwdTech")

C3/8E26:    2F8292B09D939E9CA100  ("SwdTech")

Hope this helps.

Status
None
Thanks a lot, and very fast replay hehe, the only thing I did with windhex and a lot of look was to change shadow pallete from 4 to 1 in the overworld, because I use Clyde sprite hehe. Ok I understand a bit of what you said, but now, how can I search that codes with windhex and change it so it spell "Sword" for example. Hope you understand what I'm saying, sorry my bad english ):.
To know: I have "WindHex" and "ff3us.tbl".

Status
None
I'm really busy which gets me to use the computer for a good while of my day, so I like to take mini breaks and come here every so often :p

if you have the table files, then looking for Swdtech will be easier.

The steps to follow are:
  • Open Windhex
  • Load your ROM (File, Open file for editing,...)
  • Load the table file (File, then press open, then open table file, then table #1 on windhex...and select ff6_snes_menu_a.tbl file (this is the most important one) ).
  • Now your windhex file should be full of numbers and letters. SNES uses the HI-ROM format, and the code I provided you is in that format as well. So you need to go to Options, Display offset as, and select SNES Hi-ROM.
  • Now you can do one of two things: look for the word "Swdtech" by going to Search, text search" or simply go to the addresses that I gave you in an earlier post.
  • Once you find the word, Change it to what you desire.
  • Keep looking for any other locations in the ROM that make reference to the "Swdtech" word.

Note that the addresses that I gave you are quite "off" an by that I mean that the game uses a specific amount of space called the "ROM Header"; this header will "shift" the code by 200 in Hexadecimal. So, if you're looking for the address C3/5C59, you should take the 5C59 part and add +200 to find the exact location of the word Swdtech. In other words, the exact location would be C3/5E59. The other two exact locations for the word are C3/5EB8 and C3/9026.

If you look into the threads here there are plenty of beginner guides to hex editing, so that will help a lot as well.

Hope that helps, and don't be ashamed of your English :p

Status
None
Ooooh thanks a lot.
I edit the post because I found the tbl file hehe. Thanks again. You are my first MASTER hehe Smile

Status
None
lol, it may be a little bit too much info, especially when you're a beginner, but take your time learning :p

I just saw you wanted to change shadow's pallete from 4 to 1, that has to be done using event hacking, I think.

Status
None
Yes it was difficult to find but really easy to do when I knew how, but I did it and change a few things in the menu, again, thanks xD

Status
None
Anytime, glad I was able to help :p

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
None
(04-09-2011, 02:46 PM)daldec Wrote: To know: I have "WindHex" and "ff3us.tbl".

where do i find this table file?
  Find

Status
None
In Lord J web but in this forum in a thread of Zeemis there are all the tbl files in a link but I don't remember the thread, in search put Hex and select the title option and in a thread of zeemis there are the tbls.