Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Script Rewrite (Final Draft) Underway!

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Okay, so I've been pretty busy so far this year.  A lot busier than I'd like to be.  In spite of that, I've finished my second draft of the FF6 script I've been working on and will start work on the final draft when I can make the time to do so.  I've attached a complete copy of the second draft below.  This is pretty much the way the script will flow (in terms of phrasing and nuance) from now on.  Very few changes will take place between the second and final drafts.  I'd like to encourage all those reading this to give it a try.  Just follow the instructions listed here.  If you encounter any blank text boxes, just press the positive command key (A button) to move past it to the next text box.  I am currently learning how to reassign the pointers for in-game dialog, so ultimately, blank text boxes will be 'removed' from the final draft.

Instructions

1) Patch a clean FF3 US file with the Ted Woolsey Uncensored Hack.

2) Download/Install and open FF3usME.

3) Open your patched game file within FF3usME.

4) Select the icon titled Dialog Editor and click the Import Script button in order to import the dialog_script.txt (272.91 KB) file included below.

5) Click the OK button at the bottom left of the screen.

6) Select the icon titled Monster Editor and find the BigCaption menu (located top-right), follow instruction #4 ( ^ listed above ^ ) in order to import the bitBigCaption_script.txt (17.3 KB) file included below.

7) Click the OK button at the bottom left of the screen.

8) Select the icon titled Monster Editor and find the SmallCaption menu (located top-right), follow instruction #4 ( ^ listed above ^ ) in order to import the bitSmallCaption_script.txt (10.51 KB) file included below.

9) Click the OK button at the bottom left of the screen.

10) Close the FF3usME app and load your patched game file onto your favorite emulator or flash cart and enjoy the experience.

It goes without saying that you should always save before proceeding to the next step. In FF3usME it’s located next to the open folder icon.

Inspiration for this project has come from the BNW, GBA, and TWU scripts and will be listed as such in the final release of this patch.

Thank-yous go to everyone for their time and consideration...you know who you are.

Attached Files
.txt  dialog_script.txt (272.91 KB, 13 downloads)
.txt  btlBigCaption_script.txt (17.3 KB, 1 downloads)
.txt  btlSmallCaption_script.txt (10.51 KB, 1 downloads)
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Joshua H. for this post:
  • T92 (06-19-2022)

Status
None
I'm about 95% done so far... That final draft is right around the corner!
  Find

Status
None
Okay, after moving and getting a new job during 2022, I’ve finally caught up on my final draft project and have a working script ready. It’s still needs a little bit of editing in terms of correct syntax, but that’s a battle I’ll fight later on. I just need a reminder (and a little guidance) as to how to prevent unused captions from being displayed on screen. Otherwise, I’m basically finished: Location names, and event dialog, have been updated to the changes I’ve made. The only thing left is the battle dialog.

As an aside, I’ve always wanted to change the character class names for each of the characters, but have yet to find an option to do so in editing tools I’ve been using. How would I go about that? Is there a tool (or option menu) that I’m overlooking in regards to character class names?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(12-20-2022, 01:11 PM)Joshua H. Wrote: As an aside, I’ve always wanted to change the character class names for each of the characters, but have yet to find an option to do so in editing tools I’ve been using.  How would I go about that?  Is there a tool (or option menu) that I’m overlooking in regards to character class names?

You would use a hex editor such as windhex, load the ROM with said hex editor, and get a hold of the Battle.tbl (table file), which you would load (File>Open Table File) and then do a text search (Search>Text Search) for the class name, such as 'Sorceress', and with any luck it should go to it. Table files basically allow for byte strands that form words to be shown so you can easily search for and edit them. There are different table files for different text stuff.

Table files here: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...s:doc:text

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Joshua H. (12-22-2022)

Status
None
Thanks!
  Find

Status
None
Happy Holidays, everyone!

Here's an upload of my final draft.  It's NOT complete yet, but it's so close that I feel confident letting people view it beforehand.  I'll start a new thread around the completed final draft when I'm finished.

Attached Files
.txt  dialog_script.txt (273.74 KB, 4 downloads)
  Find

Status
None
(12-22-2022, 02:34 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(12-20-2022, 01:11 PM)Joshua H. Wrote: As an aside, I’ve always wanted to change the character class names for each of the characters, but have yet to find an option to do so in editing tools I’ve been using.  How would I go about that?  Is there a tool (or option menu) that I’m overlooking in regards to character class names?

You would use a hex editor such as windhex, load the ROM with said hex editor, and get a hold of the Battle.tbl (table file), which you would load (File>Open Table File) and then do a text search (Search>Text Search) for the class name, such as 'Sorceress', and with any luck it should go to it. Table files basically allow for byte strands that form words to be shown so you can easily search for and edit them. There are different table files for different text stuff.

Table files here: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...s:doc:text

Well, I've got my job titles edited.  I'm totally ready to start hex editing.  Any tips on what the other tables do?  I got the whole bunch DL'd from here.  Battle, FF3, Credits, Begin Cred., End Cred..

Here's my list of FF6 job titles:

Terra = Red Mage
Locke = Thief
Cyan = Samurai
Clyde = Ninja
Edgar = Machinist
Sabin = Monk
Celes = Mstc. Knight
Strago = Blue Mage
Relm = Trainer
Setzer = Calculator
Mog = Geomancer
Gau = Necromancer
Gogo = Mime
Umaro = Berserker
Bannon = White Mage
Leo = Mstc. Knight  Hello

Two other mini projects that I've got in my pocket are to replace all the land shown during the end credits with water...
Next, I also want to remove the hockey mask and helmet from Edgar's Chainsaw and Bioblaster battle sprites...
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Battle - Shows skill names, spell names, item names, class names if there are any, etc.
FF3 - Shows dialog script.
Credits - Shows the names of the developers in the intro scene and ending scene.

There's no real need to use any besides Battle probably, as the dialog script can be edited much easier with a utility. And the credits one probably isn't important to you, it is a little tricky to edit anyways, there's a more sophisticated way to go about the beginning credits (Magiteks walking through snow) anyway.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
So, I’m at the very final stage of developing this script into a .ips file. I’m starting to edit events in FF6Tools and it’s coming along well. However I’ve noticed that, when I make changes to an event, curtain map tiles will become impassable…sometimes the sprite will get stuck on a maptile and won’t be able to leave that tile. Other times, it’s as if most tiles surrounding the event form an impassable wall. Could this be due to a corrupt save file??? I’m using an old save file when I play test. I’ve also been playing around with FF3LE, and I know you can preview events using that tool. But, I’m not sure how to do so yet…

Anyway, would these issues stem from the Rom, or the save file?
  Find

Status
None
Finally got FF6Tools figured out, should be able to release this thing into the wild sometime this Summer.
  Find