Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Help changing a few things

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hey guys, I have been in and out of this site for quite a few many years. I would have sworn up and down I joined a while ago, but I guess I haven't. Better late then never I guess,right? =)

I'm usually quiet and keep to myself. That being said I have been working on and off on a personal project of mine for many years, and have come to a wall. Normally I wouldn't bother with it, but It's one hell of a wall, and I REAAALLY want it. I am decent enough at editing (Just about anything and everything) FF3usME. So as for spriting, editing texts, changing the way characters and classes work and stuff, but...

Not even a slight clue as to do music, changing weapon sprites, or anything of the sort. I spent the last month....ish going through the forums, looking at the tutorials, and "attempting", to do it myself, only to end up back where I started.

So here I am. As far as the editing battle sprites, I know I have to use YY-CHR, and I can change things like the Cafe sign, and chests and stuff. I cannot for the life of me find the weapons to change. I would like to change the darts/ dice/ cards to staves, polearms, or even a  martial art Bo. The actual animation and GFX of attacking are simple enough to edit in FF3usME, but actually changing the weapon in YY_CHR is eluding me.

Then there is adding music. I am SO confused. Looking at the "Editing music in FF6 Tutorials for Beginners", after my 3rd or 4th view of the tutorial, I'm still confused and hopelessly lost. I tried googling it hoping that maybe youtube has some "slightly less beginnerish" videos or tuts, and I am feeling really slow lol. Like, I have an MP3 of just piano music that I wanted to put in and change Gogo's song, but I don't know how to go from there. I know I have to change it into a .wav, or a .midi or something, then use another program to get a .bbr or something, then change it through a Hex editor. But that is all beyond me. =(

If all is lost on me (which I'm assuming is going to be close =P), would one of you wonderful people be willing to get me a patch to change Gogo's theme? I would supply the music for it of course. Or at least a "hold my hand " tutorial.

And last but not least, I would like to contribute to this fantastic site with a few sprites. Would I be correct in assuming sprites/portraits are not here but in Owzer's Mansion yes?

Thanks guys in advance.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
The battle sprites use the same spritesheet, only a different palette (that look a lot like the overworld palette). Weapons are stored as 3bpp graphics, I have some offsets on them. They are in two places in the ROM. I don't remember if those offsets take in account a header or not:

Code:
weapons that are the same:

ogre nix - soul saber
blizzard/ice brand - flame tongue/flame sabre
dirk - mithril blade - thief knife - assassin
enhancer - rune edge
man eater - guardian
excalibur - ragnorak - drainer
mithril blade - epee - regal cutlass - break blade - crystal - sword breaker - greadus/gladius

weapons:
0E5780 - 0E6F7F = (3BPP SNES) Weapon/Animation Graphics

weapons (swords):
1331b8 (3BPP SNES) - top half blade of the mithril blade/etc.
1331b8 (3BPP SNES) - bottom half blade of the mithril blade/etc.
133338 (3BPP SNES) - top half blade of the enhancer/rune edge
133368 (3BPP SNES) - top half blade of the thunder blade
133200 (3BPP SNES) - handle of the thunder blade
1331E8 (3BPP SNES) - top half blade of the flame tongue/ice brand
133368 (3BPP SNES) - bottom half blade of the flame tongue/ice brand
1331D0 (3BPP SNES) - top half blade of the dirk/mithril knife/thief knife/assassin/
133050 (3BPP SNES) - top half blade of the man eater/guardian

As for music, it can be quite difficult when you begin, especially when you also have little experience with offsets, pointers, hexadecimal, hex editors, the FF6 ROM map, etc. The tutorials can be difficult to follow and the scope of each tutorial differ but most assume you got a base with previously mentioned elements. Restarting from point zero on each tutorial is not necessary IMO.

Have you tried before attempting to compose a song to insert an existing one following this tutorial? I tried to make it the most basic possible while explaining the maximum things possible except for hexadecimal notation and words like "offset", "pointer", etc.

For you songs you really need a midi (8 channels), MP3 to midi converters do a very poor jobs when it's possible to convert.

Edit: Yes, Owzen Mansion is the spriting sub-forum.
  Find

Status
None
Thanks for the quick reply Madsiur. 

I'll give that link a try again (Maybe tomorrow when my brain is fresh). As far as the weapon locations go, I'm not really worried about the swords and stuff, just the darts and dice and cards. Is it even worth trying to edit those? They seem like a giant pain in the butt to find, let alone edit. 

However, now that you have given me those offsets, maybe I'll do a little more digging and find them.

Thanks again.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-14-2018, 01:04 AM)Yoshivoodoo Wrote: I'll give that link a try again (Maybe tomorrow when my brain is fresh).

A night of sleep can really help! Other than this, when you read a tutorial, the minute you have a doubt about a word or phrasing, stop and ask yourself why you don't understand the section, research the words, or ask in a thread on the forums. It's important to have the best understanding of what is said before attempting the modifications. I was going to make a small ROM hacking dictionary, but it's one of those thing that was left unfinished.

(04-14-2018, 01:04 AM)Yoshivoodoo Wrote: As far as the weapon locations go, I'm not really worried about the swords and stuff, just the darts and dice and cards. Is it even worth trying to edit those? They seem like a giant pain in the butt to find, let alone edit. 

They should be in the $0E5780-$0E6F7F region or $133050 region as 3bpp GFX. I' not sure how dices are tile assembled so I don't know what is possible to do via GFX editing..

Edit: The dices are at $136018, see attachment.

Edit2: Starting offset is $134E18.

Find

Status
None
Heck Yeah!!!!

Thanks Madsiur!! Woo!!
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
hey I'd like to chime in a bit in regards to weapon editing

there is a lot you can do with it but at the same time there is a lot you cannot do, the perfect way to look at it is like alchemy, its all about equivalent exchange (I suppose more full metal alchemist than anything else lmfao)

you can literally edit anything, some things however are way too much of a cluster f**k to even bother, some things require a lot more work than you would like, and others aren't so bad at all

one thing you need to know is that the graphics are jumbled up, and you will be editing them in sections (or pieces), some graphics share tiles, while others reuse and recycle tiles

an example of each is this

one piece of the rising sun graphic is reused and basically recycled for the weapon itself, you can't really edit it via normal methods (if at all depending on what you want) as for graphics that share tiles, an example of that is that one piece of the hardend sprite (one of shadow's weapons) uses a part of the falchion blade or thunder blade I'm not 100% sure (its been a long time since I've done weapons), and one more thing is that one piece of one graphic is so far off its literally a mission just to find those few pixels

another tip is like worrying about consistency with the palettes, that can be tough but for the most part they are consistent with the weapon palettes

I can be here all day explaining stuff since there is a lot to take in, don't let that discourage you though

if you need a hand feel free to reach out to me on discord (you can check the link on the main page and add me if you need advice)

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SSJ Rick for this post:
  • madsiur (04-17-2018)

Status
None
Thanks guys. Yeah, for now I have given up on editing weapons, in YY-CHR anyway. As far as FF3usME, I can change some wespons into others, like equippable shurikens and stuff. So stuff like that will have to do.

If i decide to go back into weapon editing on stuff or have any questions, I will definitely take you up on your offer Poco Loco.

Thanks again guys! WOO!
  Find