Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Character portraits - expanding and general other things to do with them

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I'm currently looking into expanding character portraits to match up with the new NPCs in battle/party. That'll get done in some form or fashion (be it a full table or just a default thats not glitched for any NPC). No questions there as of today.

It did make me think of this however;
Character portraits in dialog

That thread ended with no result, just things that didn't work if I read it correctly. I almost remember another saying it flat out wouldn't work.

Why bring it up?
C3/6711 20 41 03 JSR $0341 (Draw window that holds character portrait)

Why couldn't that just replace your normal dialog box? This isn't part of my current project I'm just wondering if anybody ever tried it? Yeah, it would load a portrait for every window... I think, or a blank space similar to the party menu while no character in slot. But would it work at all? I'm talking about replacing the window for text, not doing it from the dialog, and putting a little code to load a character or null and have it all execute from the normal dialog command, not the text within.

Would it have any hope or does something like VRAM kill it?

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Like in GBA version dialogue box you mean, right?

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Yep, GBA style.

Like I said, every thing I remember reading was about trying to add it to the dialog, why not to the command that draws the window? Maybe check the dialog loaded for a character name <A1> or such if I remember correctly, and display portrait based on that.

Its not really something I personally MUST have, never really cared either way as far as game play goes, just curious as to why not?

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find