Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I'll try that ASAP.  I did scan the readme.txt and it said to use nonheadered...  Human error is a thing, though.  Let me try a few different ROMS, I'll get back to you in a bit.

Well, I downloaded a prepatched version of TWUE 3.06 from [REDACTED] this morning, and that ROM opened FF3usME just fine.  I'll patch a vanilla FF3 ROM later tonight (one that I got from the same site), and see what I run into.  I guess my original FF3 ROM was unsuitable after all...must have gotten it from a different website.

One last thing, before I leave.  There's an infamous bug involving older versions of TWUE which shows up in the audio toward the beginning of the game.  The very first time you leave Narsh and head for Figaro Castle, the music for that town won't quit playing until after you enter Figaro Castle.  That includes during battles.  The town music for Narsh never stops.  I'm positive you already know about this bug.  And, I'm not sure if it's been resolved yet in the latest version.  I guess I'm just getting excited...  At any rate, I'd rather not miscommunicate too much.  Just trying to check in when and where it's needed.  Peace.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
My plan for implementing TWUE is to JUST import the dialogues from text lines where Vanilla and Divergent Paths match. I'm not doing item names, spells, events, or anything else. It will not require rom expansion (at least from my initial tests), and will be fairly easy to just drop in place. When I start work on version 2.0, it's the first thing on my list to do.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • Joshua H. (01-08-2023)

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 1
Status
None
I have no experience modding this particular game so forgive my ignorance if this is a silly question, but can this be edited by an editor like ff6 tools without any weird consequences?

I am wanting to mess with a few different things like items, who can equip what, some esper stuff and potentially replacing a couple of character sprites (though I am guessing that will be need to be done by another editor).

Thank you in advance for any answers you may have!
  Find

Status
None
(01-10-2023, 03:06 PM)lEx0dusl Wrote: I have no experience modding this particular game so forgive my ignorance if this is a silly question, but can this be edited by an editor like ff6 tools without any weird consequences?

I am wanting to mess with a few different things like items, who can equip what, some esper stuff and potentially replacing a couple of character sprites (though I am guessing that will be need to be done by another editor).

Thank you in advance for any answers you may have!

You can't use an editing tool per se, but you should be able to make changes to the Rom by downloading Windhex and the supporting FF3 tables.  FF3 Battle table is the one you'd want to make use of.

DL and open Windhex -> Open a patched version of FF3 Divergent Paths (under the file menu)-> Open FF3 Battle.tbl (again under the file menu), Open the search menu and click on the Search Text option.

You can search for the name of any item, character, spell, etc. in the game.  It'll all be displayed to the right of the hex grid, in the table, and in plain English.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
The table file(s) are just for renaming some things that the editor cannot, not important in doing what he wants it seems -- you can use FF6Tools without worry, yes, or FF3usME... these are both great multi-editors that everyone uses and you can edit items, spells, who can equip what, and many many other things...without worry. It can possibly just get a bit complicated if you move a bunch of data around or what have you; some hacks that add and/or change a ton of stuff won't work 100% or at all with these editors, but normally it's no problem.

EDIT: I totally neglected to see that this was for Divergent Paths lol... Can probably dismiss what I said, I'm not sure what works or doesn't work without possibly breaking something for Divergent Paths. >_<

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
We've discussed it all on Discord. I just forgot to reply here that it was taken care of.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
In response to Gi’s post:

No, it’s fine, bruh. I actually picked up a few bits of helpful info here. I’ve started my first test using windhex to change one of the caption boxes in DP, so I just assumed hex editors were now ALL POWERFUL. ?. It would seem they are not. Should I be studying tutorials about SNES assembly? I’m kinda interested in doing the same thing as the other guy…kinda.

I’d like to see how far I can take my learning curve…starting with simple thing like inserting the random offering patch. Baby steps, you know?

(01-12-2023, 09:47 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: We've discussed it all on Discord. I just forgot to reply here that it was taken care of.

Are you saying that it’s possible to edit your rom in FF3usME at present???
  Find

Status
None
Yes. You can use FF3usME to edit Divergent Paths. The only thing is that FF3usME will try to relocate a little bit of code that I very much need to stay exactly where it is. So after you are done editing, run the "editor restoration.ips" patch found in the EXTRAS folder. That will fix the code relocation from both FF3usME and FF6LE, and you can apply that patch as many times as you want.

If you haven't run the editor restoration patch, then there are 2 things you'll notice:
1. You can't load the World of Ruin worldmap
2. If you happen to have a savestate inside Duncan's cottage, talking to Vargas will lock your game

Also, here's my official stance on making edits to Divergent Paths: do whatever the heck you want. Seriously, go to town. If it's a small change (ie - rebalancing equipment, changing a handful of spells) please release it as an "addendum" to Divergent Paths, and not as a "complete" patch. If you're doing major changes, like redoing the whole script, you can release it as a complete patch, but please credit me and make sure your readme clearly states your patch is based off of Divergent Paths.

Projects:
  Find

Status
None
Really glad to hear it, buddy! Just loaded it into FF3usME a few minutes ago, and my changes to the dialog show up! Spot on!
  Find

Status
None
Welp...the Rom still gets corrupted after making changes to the dialog.  I've tried a few different scenarios, but it's the same result every time.  I'll upload a few screenshots of the Rom tomorrow.  All I'm doing at present is expanding the Rom and patching the town dialog and small battle patches as needed.  Once, I even patched in everything for the expanded Rom in FF3usME, but I don't see how that could have made things worse than normal.  I'll include a copy of my dialog script.  Just import it into the Rom via. FF3usME and run the game a few times.  You'll get the same results.  There's some kind of "hole" that starts to develop in the code around the introductory exposition, and it crashes the Rom after about two or three plays.  Also, the minimap gets all kinds of jacked once the Rom gets expanded.  I'm sure you saw that coming, though...  FF3usME is what I use most often, and although I'm starting to get my legs with FF6Tools, I haven't used it for this project yet.  Shrug

Update: I did try your suggestion of inserting dialog captions one-for-one, and got the same results. The Rom wasn't expanded at all.

Unfortunately, my technology is being uncooperative. It could be because I'm using live photos on my iphone. The photos won't upload, but I've discovered that the crash has to do with the editor restoration.ips file. Once I use it, it does something to lines 5 through 8 of the town dialog. If I don't reinstall those four lines of text, the ER.ips file will crash the Rom. I've reopened the Rom I'm currently using in FF3usME without applying the ER.ips, and no changes took place to lines 5 - 8 of the town dialog. It only takes place after I apply the ER.ips file. Hopefully, that helps you narrow things down. Of course, the statements made here apply to an expanded Rom only. Obviously, things turn out much worse otherwise.

I've finally narrowed it down to <E$FF><OP$12>. Lines 5 through 7 rely on <E$FF><OP$12>. While line 8 uses <E$2A><OP$12>. Line 8 is the only one that doesn't get messed with after I patch the ER.ips file. Again, that's me using FF3usME.

Attached Files
.txt  dialog_script.txt (274.02 KB, 3 downloads)
  Find