Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
No dice. Ive also tried Mesen S since my last message. Across 4 emulators, and replaying the full fight from the last in game save point at least 12 times, it NEVER gets passed the black screen at the end of Kefka's fight. It just plays that roaring sound and hangs on the black screen. Ive tried the fight without using Leo, Gogo, Umaro, or Kappa. And fast forwarding doesn't do anything. It doesn't sound like the fast forward key is even doing anything at that point, judging by how the sound doesn't change.

Ive attached my save state for ZSNES and the .srm file.
Celes is in the process of an X-Jump in the save state. She'll either come down and kill Kefka or leave him just near enough death to squeeze a victory out if you move quick enough, since he's about to use Fallen One.

Attached Files
.7z  End Game.7z (84.35 KB, 2 downloads)
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Thank you. Based on this, I've been able to figure out that the offending character is Setzer.

If you are comfortable in a hex editor, open up the rom and navigate to CA/1033 (rom address 0Ax1233) and change it from an "83" to a "03". If you're not comfortable with that, just don't include Setzer in the final battle.

This bug has plagued me since pre-release, so I'm so happy to finally find an answer. I will include this bugfix in a future release.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • LM008 (02-23-2022), rhonryderz (02-25-2022)

Status
None
YES! It worked! I finally saw the ending! Thank you so much! Victory 
I never would have guessed Setzer was the problem. Ive done hex editing before, but I figured I would just do the battle one last time without him on the team. Slightly less hassle than that orgy of numbers I have to look at when I open a hex editor. LOL. I had plenty of other people to use in the final fight anyways.

Now that I have finally finished this, I can safely say its the best romhack Ive ever played. And you are the best romhack author Ive ever met. I really didn't expect you to jump in and fix my problem like that, let alone do it so fast. Thank you very much! The sour taste that the glitch put in my mouth last night has been completely obliterated.

You took my all time favorite RPG, which I already considered a perfect game, and made it even better somehow. And I'm such a purist I refuse to play the Playstation and GBA versions of this game, so that has to say something.

Btw, I wouldn't mind a shout out in the credits of the readme or manual or whatever if you make a new version. I think I earned it for helping you squash a bug that's been troubling you since before release! And for banging my head against a glitch wall for a whole evening! ;P

Just out of curiosity, can you explain what exactly the glitch was? What was the 83 at the address you mentioned, and why does changing it to an 03 fix things? And how does it relate to Setzer? I'm curious.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to LM008 for this post:
  • PowerPanda (02-23-2022)

Status
None
(02-23-2022, 01:30 AM)LM008 Wrote: Just out of curiosity, can you explain what exactly the glitch was? What was the 83 at the address you mentioned, and why does changing it to an 03 fix things? And how does it relate to Setzer? I'm curious.

The event leading up to the final battle puts all of the player characters on a different sprite layering priority, putting them on top of a background sprite. (So, for example, if there were a tree, they would walk over the top of it instead of under it.) In order for the ending event to work, I needed to reset all of the characters' layering. I arranged the characters one by one and let the code process multiple characters at once. However, to make sure that the code didn't get ahead of itself, I put a flag in to make sure that the event code couldn't continue to the next part until the last character was processed. Since Setzer is the last non-optional character, I gave him the tail-end position.

WHAT I MISSED is that earlier in the code, when I have you reselect 3 parties of 4, adding Setzer to a party will remove his sprite from the screen. So when it tries to re-order his layering priority, the code fails because he isn't there. I guess I just somehow must have never added Setzer to my final battle party? He's my least-favorite character, so that checks out. Laugh This code happens after the rumbling starts, but before the screen unfades from black. To find the issue, I switched the unfade to BEFORE all of the players get placed on the screen, and saw how many sprites got placed before the code chugged.

Switching the 83 to 03 removes the flag that makes the code wait for Setzer's sprite to be layered correctly. This runs the risk of the code getting tangled up itself, trying to process 2 things on the same sprite at the same time, but in this one case it seemed to work. My solution for this issue is going to be slightly more elegant than a 1-byte change, but that 1 byte was enough for you to see the ending cutscene on your save file.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 11
Status
None
Well, I've got some good news...I applied the rename abilities patch and the graphics uncensored patch to DP and the game doesn't crash...but it doesn't completely replicate either, so there's a bit of conflict between the 3 .ips files. It starts to glitch out once the game gives you control over Terra (just outside of Narshe) then the screen goes blank, but the rom doesn't crash. That would suggest that your coding is still pretty stable, wouldn't it? I'll look deeper into all of that later on this year.
  Find

Status
None
Hey, thanks for the explanation, I think I actually understood that, which is surprising! I don't usually follow that sorta thing.

All in all, as I said, great romhack. I'm very pleased with my experience overall. And thanks again for saving my playthrough. If you do put out a new version of the romhack to fix that problem, I would like to suggest two little changes you might also make while you're at it. Regarding dialogue. Ide say my only two minor nitpick issues with the whole hack were 2 lines. One, is when Locke says "Thats him!?" After Celes is kidnapped at the opera. With your new scene with them meeting Setzer at the Auction House, I feel like that doesn't fit. Yeah Locke, thats him! Ya just saw him! XD
And the other being on the boat traveling to make peace with the Espers, when Leo introduces Locke to Celes and then is surprised they know each other. That doesn't seem to fit with the new Leo storyline. Surely he would know at this point that Celes and Locke knew each other. Overall I think the new stuff wraps around the old stuff perfect with those 2 small exceptions. But hey, that's just my two cents. No big deal either way.

Setzer is pretty fun once you equip him with 2 weapons. (Cards and Darts all the way!) I don't think I can really say I have a least favorite char in FF6. And here you went and gave me even more!
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Given: 2
Status
X-Zone
(02-23-2022, 12:37 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: Thank you. Based on this, I've been able to figure out that the offending character is Setzer.

If you are comfortable in a hex editor, open up the rom and navigate to CA/1033 (rom address 0Ax1233) and change it from an "83" to a "03". If you're not comfortable with that, just don't include Setzer in the final battle.

This bug has plagued me since pre-release, so I'm so happy to finally find an answer. I will include this bugfix in a future release.

Finally I see the ending thanks and i love it when we see Leo include in the airship but can I suggest for your future update version? It would also be cool if we can see Shadow include in the airship.
  Find

Status
None
(02-25-2022, 08:18 AM)rhonryderz Wrote: Finally I see the ending thanks and i love it when we see Leo include in the airship but can I suggest for your future update version? It would also be cool if we can see Shadow include in the airship.

That would indeed be cool. i am done with Divergent Paths at this point except for bugfixes, but I MIGHT be able to sneak that one in. It will mean ousting Gogo, but I don't think many people will be sad about that.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • rhonryderz (02-25-2022)

Threads: 11
Status
None
No worries guys, I’m in the middle of watching FF6Hacking’s tutorials on YouTube. Once I’m done with my own project, I’m invested in making an appended version...we’ll see how far I get...no promises.

Here’s a link to the videos I’m watching for all those interested in making their version of DP: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm9bb...AFo6WZx8cD

Just an added point: you’d have to run a check to see if all of Shadows dreams have been watched or not. Then it would make sense according to the world building aspect. In that case, it might be a good idea to remove Gogo from the airship completely.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(02-25-2022, 12:31 PM)Joshua H. Wrote: Just an added point: you’d have to run a check to see if all of Shadows dreams have been watched or not.  Then it would make sense according to the world building aspect.  In that case, it might be a good idea to remove Gogo from the airship completely.
I believe there's already such a check to have
, so there wouldn't be any need to.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.