Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Changing actors involved in events and recruit locations

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
I am wondering how you can change sidequests involving other characters like Cyan's dream sequence, like another character involved in that storyline instead of Cyan. And I am also wondering about how you can change the met conditions of other characters. For instance, Celes is met tied up and I want to change that event to something different or even deeper Sabin is met during a boss fight.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I would suggest loading up Zone Doctor CE and viewing the events you're looking for until you understand them. As far as changing which characters move and speak during a scene, that's a one-byte hex edit; simple to do. As far as rewriting the scenes, it just takes a keen mind and a lot of trial and error before you get it right.

My method for event editing is to rework/block a scene in Zone Doctor CE, save it to a new rom file, and then use a hex editor (Cygnus) to copy/paste the event into my main working rom. I then fill in any unused space with "FE". Most of my edits have ended up making the scene take less space though.

In general though, when you encounter a character, you need to do the following:
1. Create an object (00-0D)
1. Assign Actor attributes to the object (00-0D)
2. Assign graphics to the object
3. Assign a palette to those graphics
4. Set the name for the object
5. (optional) Invoke the name-change screen for the object.
6. Remove all negative status effects from the object
7. Set the HP to max for the object
8. Set the MP to max for the object
(Note: 6-8 are necessary because the character slots are taken up by the 11 Moogles in the opening, and those moogles may have sustained damage or received status effects)
9. Assign the object to a party.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • CrumpledMedal (05-31-2017)

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Zombie
If you wanted to add a character during a boss fight, that is slightly more complicated.

All of the properties of the character need to be set up before they're used in battle (numbers 1-8 in the list PowerPanda listed), and you need to rewrite the battle event, add the characters to the party during the fight (you'll have to look at battle event scripts), and again add the character to the party afterwards (number 9).
  Find