Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Changing NPC Locations

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Hi guys. As part of my 3 scenarios hack, I'm looking for a way to block off Barren Falls to Sabin/Edgar/Cyan. The easiest way to do this would be to take the Chocobo merchant from Gau's Father's house and place him in front of the entrance. I've never attempted to move NPCs between maps before, and as usual Zone Doctor CE is messing everything up when I try to do it. What tips do you guys have about doing this? Note that I'm not doing any sort of expansion on the ROM, and I don't want to use the option of moving treasure/NPC data to a different bank. The point of my hack is that it changes as little as possible so that it can be used as a foundation for other hacks. Any ideas?

[Image: LKA1ySol.png]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Use FF6LE (not rogue and not rogue CE). I see it is not available on the wiki so here is a link: http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=4471

Not need to expand your ROM. Put your NPC on map and assign an event (for dialogue purpose at least) or $CA5EB3 for no event (return only). There is room in vanilla NPC data for some extra data. As for an extra event if can be placed outside the event range (banks $CA-$CC) but without expanding the ROM. Just check the ROM map and find a spot with free space (I know the end of ROM has a lot). When you use your B2 command to call an event subroutine, the bank argument start at $CA (00). So B2 01 80 07 would be a call to $D08001.

I made a video on this except I think I use expanded ROM but principle remains the same: https://youtu.be/K8RjNlH7AtQ
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • PowerPanda (09-16-2017)

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Thanks, Madsiur, that did it! One more question. I need this NPC to disappear after your party gains the airship. What event address would you set for that?

EDIT: Disregard. I'm tired and asking dumb questions. I just have him set to disappear after the scenario is complete, since you won't be going back there without an airship anyway.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-16-2017, 11:32 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: One more question. I need this NPC to disappear after your party gains the airship. What event address would you set for that?

You can as you said use the NPC bit or use an existing or new event bit with a conditional branch to mask the NPC bit for some parts of the game. The Event Bits Document is available here. Look for the unused bits.
  Find