Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Monster Palette

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
When I use Terra in battle her sprite is messed up, but in the editor it appears fine. I messed around with some palettes in the monster editor when making some customer monsters. Sad

Is this the reason for the messed up graphic of Terra? If so, does anyone know which palettes correspond with which characters? Thanks.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
did u change the last 4 colors of terra's pallet? if so theres ur problem and you should of read some tutorials first last 4 colors is npc colors that dont show in battle. if not all i can think is u have used her pallet for a monster and changed it?

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
None
At first I thought that I may have accidentally altered those last 4 colors, but I checked an unedited ROM and they were identical. I even imported that sprite to make sure. Her save screen sprite is correct too.

In the monster editor they did have some palettes that didn't seem to be used by any monsters. I changed some of those. That's why I was curious as to if those palettes are used for player characters in battles.
  Find

Status
Imprisoned
they most probably are, theres a few events which use such things, magiteck armor, kefka, terra turning into esper terra whch i think is what ur problem actually might be.. some arnt used gi nattack might be able to shed some light on the specific ones i know for a fact that rotds had some unused ones we made use of

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Nah this sounds like something else, not a battle-event related issue. Is it happening in every battle or just some select ones?

I'm not sure what might have happened to cause Terra's palette to become messed up in battle, if it's not the 4 last color issue.

But wait, is it her sprite graphic or her palette? Can you please post a pic of how it looks?

Are any of the other characters experiencing the same issue?

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
I'll post a pic when I get home today. It's her sprite graphic in battle. All the colors are messed up. In FF3usME the palette colors are correct. I triple checked with an unedited ROM. On the save screen, which I thought uses the battle sprite, is showing up fine. It's only during battle. All the other characters are showing up fine. It's just her.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Sounds good, a pic will help possibly to see how it looks to identify the issue.

So in FF3usME you are clicking on the show battle palette option for her? It is normally showing the overworld palette of the characters there you see, but there is that 'select the palette to be worked with' section where you can enable the battle one to be viewed - have you clicked on it to view her battle palette and it looks okay as well?

The save screen does use the same palette as the battle yes, so hmm that would be weird I think that it shows okay there but weird in battle. SOMETHING happened lol, I'm sure we can figure it out.

Status
None
He are my screen shots. I have one of the battle sprite, field sprite, load screen, and Terra's sprite in FF3usME.
  Find

Status
Imprisoned
please dont use attachments
use an image sharing site like imgur and put the image url in between
[img]HERE[/img] in a post

the site isnt great with attachments Wink

Status
Nattak\'d
Wow that is one messed up battle sprite. Off hand I'm not sure what could of caused that. Is it even her sprite still but with some crazy random palette? I can't really tell... It almost looks like either Terra's battle sprite or palette data got changed or damaged. Are you familiar with using a hex editor? I'd check to see if Terra's battle sprite data is still correct here:

Code:
palettes for characters (battle): address, palette value and related character:
C2/CE2B 02 Terra

pointers for battle graphics: address, 3-byte pointer, referenced address, sprite ID, size of data
C2/CE43 00 00 D5 D50000 00 16A0 (Terra)

Her battle graphic data at D5/0000 - D5169F should be the same and not all changed if you compare it to a clean ROM, and the pointer at C2/CE43 should still be pointing to that.

Have you tried re-importing her sheet though first? And all you did before noticing this is import some new monster sprites? You didn't go over the allocated space limit and save or anything right?

I'd guess that somehow data spilled over into the sprite battle graphic data, Terra being affected since she is first, but no idea how. But since only her battle graphic is being affected I'd say it must be this.

I'd be willing to look at your ROM if you are not familiar comfortable with hex editor.

It's very easy to unknowingly corrupt various things so I'd recommend getting in the habit of making backups all the time. I mean, these things can usually always get fixed back to working, but sometimes it's just easier and less stressful to have a recent backup at the ready Wink