Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Regarding the Locke + Moogles vs Narshe Guard event...

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
The appropriate strings for changing words in the menu screens start at C3/37CB. Check this document http://slickproductions.org/docs/FF6/Ban...sembly.txt for info.

What you can do is shorten the string "Okay"? to "OK?", shift the preceding strings up by two bytes, and use the freed space to rewrite the "GP" string into "Gil" (leaving one byte unused). You then need to edit the pointers starting at C3/375D up to C3/376D to point to the changed offsets of the strings. That takes care of the menu.

For shops, the strings start at C3/C2FC. There are two "GP" strings so I think you can safely edit the first one to say "Gil". I believe there is only one place where the second string is referenced and you can change that one to point to the first string instead. Change the LDY #$C33D at C3/BBC3 to LDY #$C338.

It looks kind of strange in the shop menus, because the L in Gil is right up against the screen border. There's no easy way to change this without rearranging the entire shop menu, so I would instead recommend editing an unused character tile to "il" so that "Gil" fits neatly into two tiles like "GP" does as suggested in this and other threads, for an easier fix.

If you decide that's not how you want to do it, and because I already did this and it might save you some trouble in figuring out which hex codes are which characters, here are the strings:
Code:
C3/3848: 377A8EA4BF00       ("Ok?")
C3/3817: 777E86A2A500       ("Gil")
C3/C338: 417A86A2A500       ("Gil")
The first two bytes in a string are not letters (not sure what they are) and not to be changed. The last byte is always 00 and I guess signifies the end of a string.

Edit: Oops, I forgot that there's another string that needs to be changed:
Code:
C3/C3CE:    1F7998A8AEFFA79E9E9DFFA6A8AB9EFF868FBE00  ("You need more GP!")

In this case there's a string full of spaces right after, so you can just shorten the next string by one space to make room for your edited string. This MIGHT cause issues with the shop dialogue window showing remnants of previously displayed strings much like the skill menu sometimes does, because memory isn't cleared between displaying strings or something. Another way to do it is to find some free space and put your string there, then change the code that loads the string at C3/B826 to load the correct offset.
  Find