Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Auxilliary & Relic Commands

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
I had an idea a while back for a modification of how the command relics work. I always found it annoying that older commands are overridden with new ones when using command relics.

I prefer to have the option to use the original command as well as the new one. For example, if I equip Edgar with Dragoon Boots I'd rather be able to keep Fight and have Jump appear in a secondary command window along with Def.

What I don't know is if the Def. command window is hard coded or if can be modified easily and can the relics be easily modified to add a command there instead of replacing an existing one?

EDIT:
Another thought that comes to mind is the possibility of having every character use a standard command set (Fight, Defend, Magic, Item) and having the special commands only appear on the Defend sub-menu.
Or another possibility is modding the main menu into a scrolling menu and simply allowing more than 4 commands.
  Find

Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
You can move around commands by changing pointers and text in (I think) C3. Expanding the default command window or either of the Row/Defend windows is a whole other project unto itself, I believe.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
  Find

Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Come to think of it, MasterZed's Test patch (found here) does something similar to what you want. Hitting left (or L) brings up a new menu entirely instead of the Row command window, and the menu's contents depend on which of the four default commands you had highlighted before hitting left (or L).

Unfortunately, I don't think he included actual documentation, but what he did can probably be extrapolated with binary comparisons between the Test patch and a clean ROM. I know Hex Workshop is capable of doing such a comparison, but it's not exactly freeware.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(12-26-2013, 02:34 AM)Synchysi Wrote: I know Hex Workshop is capable of doing such a comparison, but it's not exactly freeware.

IPS can produce a text file report with the offsets and number of bytes changed given you have ips.exe in the same folder as the ROM and patch. The report is made when you patch the ROM, obviously. Then you can check the changed offsets or disassemble the changed code.
  Find

Status
None
Ah! Yeah, I forgot all about that. That certainly would be a good place to start if I want to do this. Thanks for pointing that out. Smile
  Find