Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Adding Additional Characters

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-08-2013, 11:59 AM)Vanya Wrote: Well, then problem solved. You just gotta move the relevant data to a new spot and change the pointers and you're good.

You guys seems to have an easy answer for this hacking idea. There is no pointer grouped together for each sprite but instead a bunch of direct addressing loading (LDA) spread across the banks. Don't remember also that if you put a new sprite pose in the sprite data you shift all the subsequent sprite meaning more code rewriting to get the good X value for the LDA. Things are even more complex if you add the sprites poses at the end of the sprite data, as an example putting a Banon pose not a the end of his other poses but at the end of the whole data. I would be very curious to see someone attempt this, though it's not impossible to do, only relatively hard in my opinion.

(04-08-2013, 08:24 PM)Poco d(-_-)b Loco Wrote: I'm pretty sure pandora's box moved the character offsets to another bank

This is possible, but the project has coders that are in another league.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
(04-08-2013, 09:20 PM)Madsiur Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 11:59 AM)Vanya Wrote: Well, then problem solved. You just gotta move the relevant data to a new spot and change the pointers and you're good.

You guys seems to have an easy answer for this hacking idea. There is no pointer grouped together for each sprite but instead a bunch of direct addressing loading (LDA) spread across the banks. Don't remember also that if you put a new sprite pose in the sprite data you shift all the subsequent sprite meaning more code rewriting to get the good X value for the LDA. Things are even more complex if you add the sprites poses at the end of the sprite data, as an example putting a Banon pose not a the end of his other poses but at the end of the whole data. I would be very curious to see someone attempt this, though it's not impossible to do, only relatively hard in my opinion.

I was being facetious.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
So, I had a thought after reading through all of this. One of the big issues is having enough memory in the rom, correct?
So, how about using a spot that already has a full sprite sheet to add another playable character? Namely the Imp. It has a full sprite sheet, riding sprites included. You can change the effects of the imp spell in ffusme so it will not change the sprite. It would seem to me to be a workable solution. Though, I would think some of the same issues shown in that video would still be a problem, such as equipment problems and maybe not working right in the colosseum. The problem with adding them to your party and not being able to use them in the final fight would still be there as well.

I would like to tinker with this myself, but I'm still pretty new to hex. The most I've done so far is change palettes and edit characters off of the Magitek armor in battle, and that was done using offsets I found here. I honestly wouldn't even know where to start.
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Hmm, this is a very interesting concept you guys are onto. I would love to help in any way I can.

If you ever feel useless, just remember that Umaro has an MP stat.
  Find