Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Adding Additional Characters

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
This patch here is a partial fix, called the "Guest Adder" patch. It doesn't add the characters to your airship roster and there is no way to choose them in the final battle with Kefka. How you choose them is by using an item out of battle. By default, they have Thornlet for one character and Cursed Ring for the second. As soon as you pick a new group in the Airship, they disappear until you use the item out of battle again. Of course, you have to have a free slot in your party and you need to make the items available only after obtaining the airship in the World of Ruin, or it can mess things up hardcore. While this is certainly nice and a step in the right direction, I would much prefer a patch that would add them to your airship roster and the final battle.

If anyone works on this, I would love to help in any way I can. Also, I'll beta test the hell out of it Smile

There are two interesting features/bugs/exploits from using this. If you have a character in one of these two slots who uses a move that removes them from the party, you can use the item to get them right back. For example, if they use Possess, it kills anything in one shot no matter what (I believe), but the character is gone. You use the item and get them right back. Another bug is if you equip your guest with the item that calls them, then start a new party, the only way you have to add them to your party is now gone forever. This means if you have Leo as your 15th character and you have Cursed Ring to add him to your party, and after this you equipped Leo with cursed ring then started a new party in the airship, Leo is gone forever if there is only one Cursed Ring in your game.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
i good way around that would be a purchasable item specifically for that. say for example a soul gem or phoenix feather "this item can summon spirits back from the spirit world back to the material world temporarily". It would be a good item to get leo, bannon, gestahl, a ghost or anyone that dies you want to put back into the story ln the world of ruin... Or even better yet throw in a phoenix into the WoR that drops feathers or can be stolen and there's your item.

Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(03-30-2013, 04:41 PM)DruidX Wrote: i good way around that would be a purchasable item specifically for that. say for example a soul gem or phoenix feather "this item can summon spirits back from the spirit world back to the material world temporarily". It would be a good item to get leo, bannon, gestahl, a ghost or anyone that dies you want to put back into the story ln the world of ruin... Or even better yet throw in a phoenix into the WoR that drops feathers or can be stolen and there's your item.
Gestahl does not have a complete sprite sheet. Adding him to the party can be glitchy.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
he provides the least amount of glitches though, anything after him is game crashing

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Thanks Received: 6
Status
None
After a more thorough review of the code that would be entailed in adding additional characters, like creating extra equip lists from the "imp equipment" and "heavy gear" bytes, it looks increasingly unlikely that you could add additional characters without some rather significant rewrites to the game's code.

I'm still not saying it's impossible, but it is looking like even more of an unlikely outcome. I'll probably give it a shot the week after next.
  Find

Status
None
yeah i know those sprites are incomplete and rom space is limited...BUT. here's an idea, would it be possible to code in the complete sprites? I know you can't import a complete sprite sheet over them in USME as i tried. but could it be done via hex or update USME to do so? it just seems this would be the way to go to get extra characters in the game as a few extra tiles would use a lot less space than adding in a whole new spritesheet. if gestahl, leo, bannon etc had complete sheets then couldn't pointers be used to implement those NPC's as PC's in the WOR without using much space? im not a coder im just throwing a theory out there. if this could be done it would make the phoenix feather idea pretty viable and unique. would make a good patch if it could be pulled off.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
You could do by expanding the rom, but that's a bit of work in itself.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
(04-07-2013, 03:28 AM)Vanya Wrote: You could do by expanding the rom, but that's a bit of work in itself.
literally a bit, since usme has an option to expand the ROM, and other utilities out there.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Well, then problem solved. You just gotta move the relevant data to a new spot and change the pointers and you're good.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
I'm pretty sure pandora's box moved the character offsets to another bank

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC