Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
New to hacking. Need advice

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hello, i'm new to the world of rom hacking/editing, and would love to edit and make my own game built upon FF6.

I have no programing knowledge, so I don't plan on changing code, but i'd like to use an existing rom editor to get my idea off the ground.

So i'm thinking about using Final Fantasy 3 us Multi Editor, i've played around with it in the past, but i've had trouble figuring out, where to start, ect.

I was wondering if anyone had any guides/walkthroughs on getting started using this program, and how to get stuff going? I've searched google to no avail.

If anyone has any advice on other programs, or starting a project in general, I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Most of the editors can be found here but FF3usME is the most complete one. There is no guide for this editor. The best way to learn is to practice.

As for advice on how to start a project, well it depends what you want to do. If you want to do a complete hack with new events, items, monsters and characters I suggest you keep a log of your changes or excel sheets whatever suit you. Also if you want others to play your hack, I suggest you come up with originality such as new events, new songs or ASM changes. A hack only developed with the editor might be good but will lack originality.

If you have specific questions about the editor(s) or any other thing, don't be afraid to ask.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Welcome! FF3usME is super user-friendly which is why there is no tutorials on it - and like Madsiur said it's all about what you want to do with your hack, and in what order. Dialog first? Or monster scripts? Character stats? character/NPC sprites? Spell animations? etc. etc. All this stuff can be done in usme, you just need to get familiar with the program by getting your feet wet, so to speak. =)

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 9
Status
None
Welcome to the Website! the best Program to use is FFusME, like Gi Nattak said, i use it all the time Laugh it can help you ALOT. Tongue

The past is the past, but we can change our fate of Future.
[Image: amcvab.png]
Final Fantasy III: Recrution

Threads: 1
Status
None
Thank you! I'd ideally like to make a big complete hack, but being real ill just have fun with it, take it as it goes and enjoy making something that I hope people will like! Thank you so much for the advice!
  Find

Threads: 9
Status
None
(02-16-2013, 10:27 PM)Chrissy P Wrote: Thank you! I'd ideally like to make a big complete hack, but being real ill just have fun with it, take it as it goes and enjoy making something that I hope people will like! Thank you so much for the advice!

You are most welcomed!
If you need help: just ask anyone Smile Im sure they will help you.

The past is the past, but we can change our fate of Future.
[Image: amcvab.png]
Final Fantasy III: Recrution

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
I highly suggest making back-ups for all your work, just in case u ever make a mistake u have something to fall back on

one other thing I HIGHLY recommend is making certain changes on certain roms and make patches, then apply them all to a fresh clean rom (you should also use a 1.0 rom since most patches are compatible with this version rather then a 1.1 version)

this way at the end of the day u have everything set and done to apply to a fresh rom, do a few tweaks and make sure u test it and have beta testers so others can point stuff out

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC