Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Addressing the FF6LE Map Corruption Issue

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
A lot of us visual graphical hackers whom have limited knowledge of assembly and other coding languages are required to use ingenuity in our hacking methods. Hence the over 65535 enemy HP script made by Lord Envoy and myself.
The following is only theoretical, but in essence should work. A lot of us whom use both FF3usME and FF6LE may have experienced a map or data corruption error when opeing your rom up in FF6LE. I don't know if it's due to FF3usME or FF6LE, but I copy and pasted the diagnosis to Lord J via email.
He replied with.....
Quote:As for FF3LE, the log file you sent me tell us that the editor chokes on the compressed data stream length. Map or tiles? Dunno. But as I have posted some time ago on Mnrogar, FF3usME swaps a tile bank with a map bank. This swap doesn't bother the game in any ways but if FF3LE has some hardcoded pointers, it may expect to work with map data but in reality it turns out to be tile data. I'll have to get my ol' build machine running and see this for myself.

The Solution
My simple and obvious, but effective temporary fix is to just hack on a default rom with no content modified and manually transfer it over via ips patching. This is theoretical, but should work like a charm, you just need to put forth a little extra effort into get what you're wanting done.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
I emailed Lord J on this same issue the other day as well. Seems the overworld maps in LE are getting messed up because he made the recompression of the data more efficient. But as we know, it is messing up the overworld maps in LE. So in order to restore the maps back to editable order, one would have to restore the data for the maps, as well as the pointers to how they normally are without USME optimizing the data upon saving. You can see where the data for the overworld maps are if you open up FF3usME>'Manage expanded ROM", should one wish to change it back to normal. Of course saving again with USME would just change it back again XD.
And the pointers...

Lord J: "The pointers are located at 0x2EB400 until 0x2EB460 and covers the compressed map and tiles data and other compressed graphics not related to overworld maps (chocobos, ...). I have a list of this on my web site:
http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/f...fsets.html

It is true that I rearrange the order of one data bank and one tile bank, just with a simple save of the ROM in FF3usME. The game will not be bothered by this, as the pointers are rewritten correctly by FF3usME. What I do not know is how FF3LE deals with these pointers. It is just an hypothesis, but maybe FF3LE has them hardcoded."

As for that temporary fix, Madsiur suggested the same thing on this topic I made on SP here: http://slickproductions.org/forum/index....pic=1654.0

So I guess that's indeed one way to go about it for now, yeah. Should work! =)

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.