Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
29th anniversary of FF6, 3rd anniversary of this hack, I believe we're quite due for a rev!
The hack has been updated to version 1.12 1.13.

The biggest news is that I found a solution for the infamous SwdTech gauge mechanic that's (IMO) unintrusive enough even to put into the mainline ROSE patch. So I did.
Standalone patch coming soon. (If you're partial to Hatzen's approach, that patch should still be compatible.)

What's new:
  • Updated C. V. Bug-Fix Compilation to v2.7.
  • Added ability to switch characters from the Bushido gauge window mid-charge with X/Y Surprised
  • Made ~112 edits to the field dialog script (#1500 - #1899 focus)
Happy Palm Sunday. Hello

EDIT: A game-breaking bug with using the Item menu in battle was reported & confirmed -- likely related to the Bushido feature. (So much for "unintrusive"...) I will be fixing & posting a new rev ASAP.
Until then, v1.11 will be available for download at the project webpage.
Stay tuned!

EDIT 2: The bug has been found and (as far as I can tell) fixed -- viva la v1.13!

So, the Bushido mod currently requires 4 bytes of RAM to work. The trouble was my assumption that none of the "unused local battle variables" $7E3ECB-$7E3ED3 would be written by the vanilla game after being initialized to 00 at the start of battle. Unfortunately, I chose $3ECB - $3ECE for my 4 bytes, and $3ECB & $3ECC do get written whenever the player accesses the equipment swap window.
Version 1.13 uses $3ED0 - $3ED3, which appear to be working out better. In the long term, we'll see!
If anyone knows of a better place to add a 4-byte array in battle, especially for the upcoming standalone patch, I am open to suggestions.

EDIT 3:
Welp, coming full circle...
Was doing a little R&D for future revs and realized that those $3ECB & $3ECC bytes are getting written... by yours truly. Not vanilla. It's for the vertical equipment swap layout. Sweat

Messages In This Thread
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition - by REDTITAN - 10-12-2021, 02:26 PM
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition - by SilentEnigma - 04-02-2023, 08:23 AM