Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
Hi @Mr_Hickey,

Both ROSE and TWUE target first-time players.
The core gameplay is very similar between the two.

Currently TWUE has ~52 bug fixes, and ROSE has ~180. That might sound like a big deal, but really, most of these bugs are on the obscure side. I would not expect a first-time player to notice much difference here (let alone most veterans).

There are a couple of other minor differences between ROSE & TWUE that affect difficulty:
  • TWUE (w/ Bug-Fixes) has a few spell learning rate & stat bonus tweaks.
  • TWUE (w/ Add-Ons) reduces the rather annoying charging time for the special ability of one of the characters.
  • ROSE penalizes the player for dashing during timed challenges by speeding up the countdown timer in proportion to the speed boost. (Vanilla FF6 does not have a dash button.)
...Nothing make-or-break here, either, in my opinion.

Text / QoL / aesthetics would probably be the most important factors for a first-time player. The ReadMe files are always helpful if you want to compare the hacks feature-for-feature. Otherwise, it can't hurt to play the first ~20 minutes of more than one project and see if you develop a preference.

FYI, I know of two other projects of a similar scope that continue to receive updates:

C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix and/or Script-Fix Compilation

Final Fantasy VI: Retranslated

Hope that helps (at least with gathering some information)!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Mr_Hickey (04-08-2022)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition - by REDTITAN - 10-12-2021, 02:26 PM
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition - by SilentEnigma - 04-07-2022, 04:33 PM