Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Giving a weapon the Shuriken animation

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
I want to turn a few items into "shuriken throwables", but when I try to use them, they give me the "knife used as throwable" animation. I went to a clean FFVI rom and copy pasted the regular, advanced and animation atributes of shurikens to the new items, but no luck.

Then I found out that no matter what animation I give them, I keep getting the dirk throwing animation. I copy pasted the Shiva animation and it STILL gives me the dirk-thowing animation. I'm assuming there's something that checks if an item is a shuriken and if yes, play the correct animation, but I'm not sure.

Can someone help?

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I'll say up front, I haven't done that edit personally, but normally issues such as that are caused because the game has one set of pointers for items, then a whole other table/list for graphics. In other words, one adress is being changed, the other is still set to default. Did you edit any hex? Probably an issue in C2, maybe even C1.

Also a slim possibilty that the type of item is still being read as knife, instead of graphic spell. I've read something on it but don't recall exactly, or if it said how.

Have you, or are you using, Draken's MDE? It might help if you haven't tried it yet.

Might be something useful on the thread where they added a crossbow and arrows to the game. Might search for it, google FF6hacking crossbow it'll show.

Sorry can't be of more use.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
It has to be something checking if the item is a shuriken: I moved the items back to spots 65, 66 and 67 where Shurikens originally were, and now behave accordingly, taking the animation I gave them. Now, this solves my problem, but if someone wanted to make four kinds of shurikens (which I may), they will need to know what makes an item "a shuriken".

A while back I made a thread "what makes spears do double damage on jump" and there was something checking what is and what wasn't a spear also. I'm assuming something similar is happening here.

Speaking of which, where can I acquire a C2 Bank or Disassembly? That's where they got the info on the spears. Is there a txt similar to the Event dump?

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Status
Zombie
Assassin's Page - Misc Documents & best public copy of C2

Slick Productions - others

Could have swore we had liks for this stuff but I can't seem to find them as fast as I care to. That should be most of them, I think.

Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
The weapon's animation that are affected by Throw and Jump commands are located here: offset are for non-headed rom 110041 and headed rom 110241.

01 - Unharmed/Empty/Nothing
08 - Flame Scroll
09 - Water Scroll
0A - Lightning Scroll
0B - Invisibility Scroll
0C - Shadow Scroll
0D - Chakram
0E - Boomerang
10 - Dagger/Sword
21 - Ninja Dagger
32 - Greatsword
43 - Long Katana
54 - Rod
65 - Spear
76 - Hawkeye
81 - Shuriken/Card/Dart/Dice
  Find

Status
Zombie
After looking through it the only thing I could find was a referance to D8/5013 and "get item properties".

Nothing else seems to jump out as telling it what kinda item it is. Sadly the very limited info I have on that bank is... nothing.

The data and offsets Fenrir posted, I can find them but couldn't get any visual change, at least as far as I could tell, by changing some values. I didn't go as far as changing the entire block to one value, but as I said I couldn't get a response from the poking I did to that data.

Only option I could suggest beyond, the rom map, I personally never could get anything from that mess though.

Starting to think such a simple task could be not so easy, less there is something insanely simple I'm over missing here, gonna take someone smarter than me to figure that one out.

Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
"The data and offsets Fenrir posted, I can find them but couldn't get any visual change, at least as far as I could tell, by changing some values. I didn't go as far as changing the entire block to one value, but as I said I couldn't get a response from the poking I did to that data."

Works for me, I've altered quite a few weapons. I made a spear out of a dagger. So when throwing this weapon with the Throw command or jumping with the Jump command, instead of a dagger appearing, its a spear.

I've never tried, but I believe that you can't turn non-weapons (shields, helmets, armor, relics, and items) into weapons. The information above only applies to weapons.

The default thrown weapon is a dagger, you could throw a helmet, but its animation would be that of a dagger. Again, I remember trying to make the Rename Card into a weapon and ran into complications a few years ago.
  Find