Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Dissidia Sedecim - A recreation of FF6's combat engine

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Here's an update, no new videos though. I've been working on the menus now. So far I got the item menu done and most of the equipment menu done as well. Here's a gif showing off Cloud and his materia system:

https://imgur.com/a/W5n9FYw

The equipment menu is surprisingly complicated. Characters from different entries in the series have different equipment profiles. On FF1 they don't have accessories, in FF15 there are four weapon slots, on FF7 there are materia slots. So the equip menu has to make room for a lot of edge cases. 

What's still left to do in the equip menu:
  • Squall's junction menu. That one where you junction spells to each status
  • Making the equipment menu react to two handed vs one handed weapons
  • Making the equipment menu react to ammo slots in case a bow is equipped 
  • Probably some other stuff I can't think of
Now I'm going to work on making any customization done to player's materia system reflect in Cloud's combat skills.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-28-2019, 05:21 PM)Lefe Wrote: I've been working on the menus now. So far I got the item menu done and most of the equipment menu done as well. Here's a gif showing off Cloud and his materia system.

Nice progress, it's looking really good!
  Find

Status
None

Here's a progress report, which I should do more of, sorry guys I forget about this thread sometimes.

So yeah, I'm recruiting. Anybody who can code (project's done on GameMaker Studio 2) and do art is welcome. In fact, anybody who wants to help at all is welcome. Some stuff that's really needed can be done by just about anyone, such as:
  • Playtesting
  • Assembling sprite sheets
  • Doing research
  • Coming up with ideas and suggestions.

To help out you can come to the project's Discord server, check the project's wiki, and even the Trello board to get an idea of where we're headed.

Our goal (I got tssf and CtrlxZ helping me out with music and art respectively) right now is to produce a demo that has dungeon exploration, menus, character customization. It'll feature FF1 Warrior of Light, Terra, Cloud, Squall and Noctis doing the opening mission from FF7. But there's plenty of work ahead before we can get that done. Currently I'm working on Squall, got him close to done, here's some stuff:

Renzokuken:
https://twitter.com/tiemff/status/1178446049364578319

The Junction Menu:
https://twitter.com/tiemff/status/1180253468143034368

A brief overview video (it features an old version of Renzokuken, it's now been replaced by the one shown above):
https://twitter.com/tiemff/status/1168988336972816385

So, if you're interested in helping out, swing by the Discord server, any help is VERY welcome: https://discord.gg/EjvF6fz
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Lefe for this post:
  • C-Dude (10-09-2019), madsiur (10-11-2019)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
Well, I can't help you with your project but I do have an idea or two if you want to use 'em... depending on how many characters you intend to make.

Cecil Harvey: If you're going to make him, make him both a Paladin and a Dark Knight simultaneously. Give him Cover and Dark Wave. Have Dark Wave do damage based on his missing HP (difference between Max and Current, possibly modified by Stamina), and make Cover reduce the damage he takes from the blow by half (and possibly cover for Magic as well). That way, he can protect an ally and use that damage to boost his own special attack. Or, if you're feeling ambitious, he could store all the damage he takes in a buffer (regardless of how much healing he receives) and then empty that buffer with Dark Wave, meaning players could heal him and still benefit from the strategy.

Rikku: Don't use Tidus from FFX. As much as I love Tidus, Rikku's basic gameplay is more interesting. Give all the enemies a diminishing list of components to steal from (first 100% chance, then 50%, then 25%, etc.) and then let her mix them to cast various spells. There's that inclination to use Yuna instead for her persistent summons (done rather like the Control menu), but she would diminish the crossover aspects because all the other characters would have to leave the fight while she was summoning. Also, you haven't got any thieves yet... though I suppose Zidane from FF9 could also fill that role.

What you've done so far is very cool and I like the mechanics I'm seeing (that thing with Noctis losing Max HP is just brilliant).
  Find

Status
None
Loved your enthusiasm, coming up with the ideas for how to adapt the characters is one of the most fun parts in this project.

So for Cecil I was thinking of allowing the player to switch between Paladin and Dark Knight, I haven't decided if it should be doable mid battle (which strays from the original game) or only in the menus. Compared to other characters Cecil might end up underpowered or boring if he can't switch jobs. I want to use the augment system from FFIV remake, so each job has its own augment set up. If you can switch mid battle, going from Dark Knight to Paladin could completely change how you play the character because of the different augment set ups.

Switching mid battle would also be interesting because of his positioning. Back row, takes half damage so it's perfect for Cover, but if you want to switch to an offensive Dark Knight mode he'd be less powerful.

Another character that will definitely have mid-battle job switch is Yuna. I'm definitely not going for Tidus, and I'm not going for Rikku because there's already a thief in the game (Zidane, for sure). So Yuna wold get to mix up a bit of FFX and FFX-2 gameplay. She'd have the Summoner job, which would allow her to do those FFX-style summons but also other jobs like Gunner, Songstress, Lady Luck.

One way to emphasize the crossover aspect for Yuna's summons is to have Yuna and Squall share GFs/Aeons. The roster I've thought of: Eden, Cerberus, Diabolos, Anima, Valefor, Brothers, Yojimbo, Cactuar, Ixion, Ghost Train (instead of Doomtrain) and Tidus. Yeah, Tidus as a GF/Aeon, when Yuna summoned him instead of every other party member leaving it's just Yuna that switches places with Tidus, like how you could do it in FFX. If Squall summons Tidus he just shows up and attacks though.
  Find

Threads: 4
Status
None
I read that as "If Squall summons Tidus he just shows up and laughs though."
  Find

Status
None
All right everyone there's a new demo out, now with menus and Squall as a playable character.

I've also completely revamped the damage formulas, I'm no longer using FF6 as a basis for the formulas and I've started using something simpler, more adaptable. Here's how the melee damage formula works, for an instance

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/594h2hkndw

Changing the formulas also meant changing the entirety of the game's balancing. I've made it so nobody can easily hit 9999 damage,  nobody can easily have 9999 HP. In this demo things aren't 100% balanced yet so a few attacks are still overpowered, others underpowered.

Why nerf everyone? This type of RPG really shines when you can make your team work as one, it shines when each action fills its own niche. When you can easily do really high damage, there's no encouragement for teamwork, there's no point in using a powerful spell over an equally powerful physical attack, every action feels samey. 

I've set things up in a way that putting together a party with complementing abilities you can multiply your damage fivefold. For that to work, a character with really good physical offense should be doing at most 2500 damage per hit. That's the best melee user, the bad ones will be doing something like 700 damage. Average, 1500.

Similarly for HP, a character with the best possible HP should be at 5000 HP, and that's at the expense of defense and evasion. I'm balancing things so that you can't have it all. Your character is geared for HP OR defense OR evasion, but not everything at once.

Another big change I've made was consolidate magic and physical defense into one stat, magic and physical evasion into one stat. There are two ways perspectives from which I think this work.
Enemy attacking the player:
When the player is gearing up their party, they don't know what kind of challenges they'll come across in a dungeon. Enemy parties are randomized, enemy actions are often randomized, so the player can't exactly know what to prepare against and that's not fair. On top of that, the player often can't even tell if an enemy's attack is of magical or physical nature. If a character has been built for powerful defense or powerful evasion, that strategy should work effectively, period. 

Specially because building a tank character means you'll sacrifice evasion and HP. There are three armor classes, heavy, light and swift. Heavy gives you defense, light HP and swift evasion. Having great defense means you'll rarely dodge, having great evasion means a few hits can kill you.

Player attacking the enemy:
Most enemies will have the same defense value throughout the entire game. This is so that the player always gets consistent feedback from how much damage they're doing. It'll be easier to compare physical vs magical damage because they'll both be adjusted against the same defense value. It'll be easier to get a feel of how strong you can get from 10 extra points in attack from your new weapon. 

If I want an enemy to have better magic or physical defense, I can just adjust a single value that increases their resistance against those types of damage. But that's to be used sparingly. I wish players to get what they expect to get as often as possible.

As for evasion, I've removed that from most enemies. They simply do not evade, you always hit. I believe that if a player tells their character to do something, then they should succeed. The only exception will be enemies whose gimmick are their impossibly high evasion, like the Cactuar.

I believe these changes allow me to better adapt into a single game a character that has a 15 hit limit break, a character that can't equip any armor at all, a character whose only skill is "Jump".
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lefe for this post:
  • madsiur (11-13-2019)

Status
None
New update! Final Fantasy I jobs

It's been a long time without any new interesting posts but here it is. The characters have the original FF1 MP system, spell names based on the original games, spell selection inspired (but not entirely identical) to the original game. In short, as close to the original as possible. SAVE FOR a few actions I've added.

Imagine you get the barebones Monk from FF1, and in your party you also got Yuna, Noctis, Cloud. The more modern FF characters have a ton of gameplay options and I felt if I stuck 100% true to the original FF1, the melee characters would feel unappealing to play. So I've selected a few actions that I thought could add a more interesting rhythm to the characters.

The actions selected are all situational and they get some extra mileage if the player knows how to use them. For an instance, Charge makes every injured ally attack together. But it also works on Berserked allies. Pray has a chance of doing some extra healing if the allies are in critical state. I'll also work on the cast time for each action to make them more strategic. I  feel Focus and Boost (both damage boosters) should have an instant cast time. 

Anyway, that's it for now. You can find more details on the project's youtube page and twitter
https://twitter.com/tiemff
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Lefe for this post:
  • C-Dude (02-26-2020), madsiur (02-25-2020)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(02-25-2020, 07:19 PM)Lefe Wrote: Imagine you get the barebones Monk from FF1, and in your party you also got Yuna, Noctis, Cloud. The more modern FF characters have a ton of gameplay options and I felt if I stuck 100% true to the original FF1, the melee characters would feel unappealing to play. So I've selected a few actions that I thought could add a more interesting rhythm to the characters.

Does this mean the protagonist from FF1 will be picked at random?
  Find

Status
None
The player will pick the job for their FF1 character at the start of the game and then stick with that job. So if you pick the Monk you're giving up Black Mage, White Mage and Warrior.
  Find