Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Fix for 2-player Blitz bug (co-op)?

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
There is a bug when playing FF6 in two players mode:

"When the game is played with two players on the Super Nintendo and PlayStation versions, if one player presses any buttons while the other is attempting to input a Blitz command, the Blitz will fail."

Has this been fixed through a patch?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Not to my knowledge. In fact it is not a bug I had heard of before.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
That'd be fun to both enter the command together, like a Fusion technique. Also would be fun to mess up the other player and be an ass!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
That would be awesome. Heck, it would be awesome if another player could simply cancel another player's turn in the event a player is taking too long to go through a menu...or if in a Netplay or other multi-screen version, the two players could input command to their character simultaneously.

Unfortunately, I doubt this specific "bug" can ever be fixed, as I would assume the only fix would be to prevent the Blitz prompt from listening to the other controller entirely...and that sounds like a headache. It sounds like the best workaround would be to just install the patch that turns the Blitz command into a regular menu and play two-player like that.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(11-13-2018, 01:15 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: That'd be fun to both enter the command together, like a Fusion technique. Also would be fun to mess up the other player and be an ass!

Actually, I tested it out on the Snes and that's how it works currently.

Once the "Blitz" command is selected, both controllers can enter the Blitz. For example you can have Player 1 control Sabin & have Player 2 enter the Blitz (including the A to confirm it).

If a player enters the Blitz correctly but the other player enters any command at all, the Blitz will fail. So, mean inspired people (or distracted ones) can ruin the Blitz without the other player knowing! On the other hand, if the two players each enter half of the Blitz correctly and with the correct timing, the Blitz will work!

Because it's so easy for the other player to press a button by mistake while the other player enters a Blitz, that I would strongly recommend against using Sabin in two-players mode.

(11-13-2018, 11:41 PM)Turbotastic Wrote: Unfortunately, I doubt this specific "bug" can ever be fixed, as I would assume the only fix would be to prevent the Blitz prompt from listening to the other controller entirely...and that sounds like a headache.

FuSoYa made a patch implementing two-player from scratch for Secret of Evermore (it was single player before), so I'm sure it's possible to fix the Blitz bug.

(11-13-2018, 11:41 PM)Turbotastic Wrote: It sounds like the best workaround would be to just install the patch that turns the Blitz command into a regular menu and play two-player like that.

Do you know where I can find this patch? I can only find a patch that turns every Blitz into a single button press.
  Find

Status
Debrave
(11-25-2018, 03:18 AM)Merudo Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 11:41 PM)Turbotastic Wrote: It sounds like the best workaround would be to just install the patch that turns the Blitz command into a regular menu and play two-player like that.

Do you know where I can find this patch? I can only find a patch that turns every Blitz into a single button press.

The patch was on the now departed Slick Productions forum. I have the patch, but since it is someone else's work, I'm not sure if it's okay to share it on this forum.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(11-25-2018, 03:18 AM)Merudo Wrote: Do you know where I can find this patch? I can only find a patch that turns every Blitz into a single button press.

Done, see attachment below.

(11-27-2018, 10:44 AM)Turbotastic Wrote: The patch was on the now departed Slick Productions forum. I have the patch, but since it is someone else's work, I'm not sure if it's okay to share it on this forum.

Someone (I think it was one of the Admins) shared all the archived patches from Novalia Spirit, Assassin and Slick Production not long ago so I think it's safe to share them. Patches should be preserved imo, we never know what could happen with the original sources.

Attached Files
.zip  Tweak - Menu Blitz.zip (102.45 KB, 13 downloads)

Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I remember this patch totally broke the battle event dialog when I tried it once, for the Whelk boss battle which I was testing.
Can anyone confirm or deny this? Testing it here again I'm getting the same thing, with FF3 1.0 headered ROM.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
Yeah, this is the patch that the combined Blitz/SwdTech menu patch is based on and it's got a fatal bug because it interferes with the battle dialog boxes. The bug is fixed in the combined patch, but it'd be a lot of work to separate out just the Blitz stuff in that version, because the new code is all in-line in the pre-existing SwdTech and Blitz space.

I'll take a look at the code and see if there's an easy fix for the bug in this version, so that there's a Blitz-only version that works.

Okay, so: not an easy fix. I suspect that it's not only the list indexes, but that there's code being overwritten that shouldn't be; it'll take a little more investigation to figure out exactly where, especially as I'm not all that familiar with C1 yet.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to GrayShadows for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (11-28-2018), Warrax (11-28-2018)

Status
Debrave
Here's the combined "FF6Skills" patch for SwdTech/Blitz for the rest of us lazy folks.

Attached Files
.zip  FF6Skills.zip (6.86 KB, 36 downloads)
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Turbotastic for this post:
  • C-Dude (06-20-2019)