Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sound Glitches

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I'm adding new songs to my FF6 hack but some songs have glitches when I play them on certain emulators and real hardware.

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about:

snes9X 1.51: http://youtu.be/5uJJw1bvUyo
Bizhawk 1.8.4: http://youtu.be/o6p48fOtrEM
ZSNES 1.51: Song plays fine.
RetronN5 (real hardware): same result as Bizhawk.

Now I don't want my hack to be emulator specific so I would like to solve that problem. My new songs are in expanded banks (460000 and up) and the new instruments too (400000-45FFFF). I tried to relocate the song (FF0000) or use the FF6 original instruments but the results are the same. The song I used as an example is probably the worst, some have fewer glitches and some play fine. Does this problem could be related to the SPC-700 or would it be FF6 specific?

Any help toward fixing this problem would be great. Thanks!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Zsnes ftw! I don't really hear the glitches in the snes9x one, but bizhawk (the most "accurate emulator") I hear them obviously. I'd like to figure this issue out as well and have no idea what causes it other than it seems to be emulator related, meaning one would have to edit the emulator and not the song/rom. Retron 5 I'm fairly sure isn't "real hardware" since it is using emulators as well, I think snes9x for the snes one? I'd be willing to bet the songs would work on a real snes. But have you tried putting another song in the same place to test if it is the song that is causing the sound glitching? Or does the song work in normal addresses? I've been to lazy to test this with my glitchy songs...

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Tissue-aware
(02-14-2015, 04:17 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Zsnes ftw! I don't really hear the glitches in the snes9x one, but bizhawk (the most "accurate emulator") I hear them obviously.

The result is the same in Higan too. Also, exporting the song to a spc file in zsnes gives the same result as Bizhawk when playing the SPC file. So I don't think it is emulator related.

(02-14-2015, 04:17 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: But have you tried putting another song in the same place to test if it is the song that is causing the sound glitching? Or does the song work in normal addresses? I've been to lazy to test this with my glitchy songs...

I tried relocating the song to 3F0000 the 29A000. Then I put back original instruments instead of the RS3 ones. Then I moved back the loop data, ADSM data and wave rate data back in non-expanded area (299000). Then I tried to match the song channels with the correct offsets. All that gave no result. I'm about to test on a 4Mbit ROM instead of 6Mbit.

I really don't want to have a hack that works well only on zsnes.

Edit: I wonder why does it works in FF6T? Also, the bsnes core IS the most accurate emulator. My ears bleed Mike!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
So then you've tried/listened to the songs that you are experiencing the sound glitches with in FF6T on said emulators?
It might be worth asking Tsushiy about this if so, he may be able to shed some light on it, despite the language barrier.

I thought at first it might be something in his song data that is causing it, but since my Final Countdown song has this issue that is not the case it seems.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Tissue-aware
(02-14-2015, 06:23 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: So then you've tried/listened to the songs that you are experiencing the sound glitches with in FF6T on said emulators?

I have not tried this. I'll check that.

Edit: The same glitches are in FF6T with Higan, Bizhawk and on my Retron5. I tried only Blinded By Light but results so far are the same.

Edit2: This only happens with a few songs so far. The majority play wells.
  Find

Threads: 16
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
The answer is I'm sorry when it was misplaced.

The snes emulator, you may not be able to operate normally HiRom and ExHirom.
Emulator that I have used is the one that "uosnesw(20100527)" and "SNEX9X(1.51)".
So, I think if you use the emulator that supports ExHirom, successfully song is played.
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I would wager there's some kind of timing issue with exhirom on hardware (and hardware accurate emulation) in regards to music. I couldn't get music working particularly well either.
  Find