Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FFVI: Veteran Edition

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I'll take a look at these when I'm somewhere I can use Wifi. My smartphone's hotspot is extremely slow. Anyway, I know that the Offset CC/0B37 is inaccurate since its taken from the event dump, and I've read the Advanced Event Editing txt file that states how to find the exact offset i want by going up two lines and doing a hex search for the data I want to change... but i need 2 bytes of data to search for this to work I guess. So I'm not quite sure how to find the exact offset...

Here's what I did (using Windhex): Jump to Offset C0B37, move up 2 lines, Hex Search... Then I'm not sure what to search for lol. I tried just using 4B, but I'm pretty sure it took me to the wrong spot. So... How would I find the right offset? I bet it explains this in the event editing video tutorials... but I can't watch them right now. This connection is like 20k/s.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
First before attempting anything, I suggest you work in close relation with the event dump and the event command list, both available here. Every time you go to an event offset, locate yourself in the event dump, with an offset search or dialogue search. One you know where you are, you'll know what just went by and what is coming, in terms of event. Now I won't answer your last question because I have no clue what you are looking for.

However what Angelo was talking about is forcing the jump to the second choice. Here you have a choice:

Code:
CC/0B37: 4B    Display dialogue message $05EF, wait for button press
               I ran a Weapon Shop for 70 years!
               This stone gives off an eerie aura!
               If I melted it, and forged a sword, it'd be powerful!
               Well?
               Make this stone into a sword?
               ^ Leave it the stone “Ragnarok”
               ^ Make it the sword “Ragnarok”
CC/0B3A: B6    Indexed branch based on prior dialogue selection [$CC0B42, $CC0B58]
CC/0B41: FE    Return

If you look at the event command document, under command B6, you will understand what the bytes after the B6 means. They are the 2 addresses of the 2 choice.

First Choice; The Esper. All this code is useless because you want to force the second choice. You can therefore use the space for extra code or put FF or FD all over the place it doesn't matter.

Code:
CC/0B42: 4B    Display dialogue message $05F0, wait for button press
               Right.
CC/0B45: F4    Play sound effect 103
CC/0B47: B2    Call subroutine $CC9AD5
CC/0B4B: 42    Hide object $11
CC/0B4D: B2    Call subroutine $CC9AD5
CC/0B51: F4    Play sound effect 141
CC/0B53: 86    Give esper $46 (Ragnarok) to party
CC/0B55: D0    Set event bit $1E80($0B6) [$1E96, bit 6]
CC/0B57: FE    Return

Second choice: The Sword. Now what you need to do is jump here and to force this you use the B2 command instead of this (same code from above):

Code:
CC/0B3A: B6    Indexed branch based on prior dialogue selection

Since you will edit the dialogue, there is no more choice so instead of command B6 it will be command B2 with the good 3 bytes that come after for the address to jump to. Once again check the command document to know how to use it, but Angelo pretty much gave you your answer on a silver plate. Here it is again: B2 58 0B 02.

Code:
CC/0B58: 4B    Display dialogue message $05F0, wait for button press
               Right.
CC/0B5B: F4    Play sound effect 103
CC/0B5D: B2    Call subroutine $CC9AD5
CC/0B61: 42    Hide object $11
CC/0B63: B2    Call subroutine $CC9AD5
CC/0B67: 80    Add item $1B (<D9>Ragnarok    ) to inventory
CC/0B69: D0    Set event bit $1E80($0B6) [$1E96, bit 6]
CC/0B6B: FE    Return

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for you pug event, if you want him to react to your sword you can set an unused event bit when you get the sword(see event bit list available here). Then once you get to the pug NPC you trigger a custom event that will check if your event bit is set. Based on that condition, you can choose two path. You put whatever you want in these two path. One if you found the sword (Pug is pissed off and stab you) and one path is the sword is not found (Pug say "Hello!" or Pug does nothing, whatever). This is called conditional branching and I made a tutorial about it.

You could even make pug invisible if the sword is not found, but the conditional branching has to be set in the entrance event of the map, e.g. it will check if the event bit is set every time you enter the map.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last thing. The magic spells are part of the list of 255 spells (with dances, enemy magic and magitek and other stuff). They have an order in the ROM as data. You can check a ROM map to see where they are. Their order is hard coded and they are only regrouped by type (that I mentionned). Nothing in their name organize them. There is no simply way to reorganize them, at least not one that I know about. The best thing is to use a white magic to have a new white magic as an example.
  Find

Status
None
But here's my problem...

CC/0B37: 02
CC/0B3A: 00
CC/0B41: FE

Thats what I'm seeing at those offsets. Only the last offset is the data it should be. This is looking at both a clean rom, and the one i'm working on, both viewed as HiROMs in Windhex. Am I missing something here?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
(07-04-2012, 12:10 AM)KajDarkwind Wrote: Am I missing something here?

This means that your ROM is headered, so you would search instead for:

CC/0D37
CC/0D3A
CC/0D41

(+ 200 for header) This is very basic stuff that you -should- know before attempting any hex editing.

You can also opt to remove the header temporarily, to make searching for the addresses easier without having to keep in mind to add the +200. You can simply re-add the header with SNESTool later, so that it works with the editors etc.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(07-04-2012, 01:05 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: This means that your ROM is headered, so you would search instead for:

CC/0D37
CC/0D3A
CC/0D41

(+ 200 for header) This is very basic stuff that you -should- know before attempting any hex editing.

I did mention that he needed to know his hex...

(07-03-2012, 07:57 PM)Angelo26 Wrote: I hope you know your hex too.

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Well, in all fairness, you 'hoping' that he knows his hex and him 'needing' to know are two very different things, g'heh! Wink

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
I detect sarcasm...someone's trolling me!

Status
None
Oh! I knew that but forgot to take it into account. For some reason I assumed the event dump was made with a headered ROM. My bad guys, I knew it had to be something really simple that I was overlooking Laugh
  Find

Status
None
This may sound like a fairly simple question, but how can I make a chest contain a monster? I'm sure it requires hex editing, im just not sure how to find the chests in the rom, or how to specify the monster formation to use. Is there a place I could find this info? Don't say Google cause I tried that alreadyLaugh
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-17-2012, 01:03 PM)KajDarkwind Wrote: This may sound like a fairly simple question, but how can I make a chest contain a monster? I'm sure it requires hex editing, im just not sure how to find the chests in the rom, or how to specify the monster formation to use.

FF6LE let you place chests and you can have a monster-in-a-box if you want. FF6MDE let you manage existing chests too.

You can alternatively use an NPC for special locked chests and use an event to trigger a battle with a formation number between 256 and 511 that would be placed on the chest. The first solution (FF6LE or FF6MDE) is a lot less time consuming.

Find