Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sprite Ideas

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
None
I'm very new to spriting, half the time i'm not even sure i know what i'm doing, lol. but the cool think about sprites is that just by changing them, you can already change the game to something new.

I've been trying to work on some myself, but like i said, they're less than perfect and mostly just using ff6 sprites and tweaking them. And the shared palettes can be a headache to work with. I find that i enjoy playing around with spell and battle animations a bit more.

I know everyone's working on other things too, but i have a few fun ideas i would like to see for mods. I was wondering if anyone wanted to or would be willing to help create sprites for me. Who knows maybe my ideas arent even that possible.

Would be neat to have some Star Wars sprites and make a story with it. Characters could include Han Solo, Leia, Chewbacca (chewie), obiwan, vader, storm trooper, luke, r2d2 could tons of fun.

the other idea i had was X-Men/Super Heroes. Could include wolverine, cyclops, beast, jean grey, batman, the flash, iron man, deadpool, and definitely more.

create these sprites sounds like a heck of a lot of work, correct me if i'm wrong?

On another note, can anyone tell me how to post sprites I have attempted to work on in the forum?

Thanks
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
If you have never hacked FFVI before and don't have a rom hacking record, I think I say for most spriters out there that they don't want to just make a sprite for the hell of it. They want to see their sprite goto use and if they make you sprites, chances are they won't because you don't know how to hack. I could be wrong however.
What happened to coloring Magus as I suggested in the other thread? I can show you want to do over Skype if you want.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 148
Thanks Given: 160
Status
Nattak\'d
I totally suck at spriting myself, so I'm afraid I cannot help you out there, but just keep practicing and don't be afraid to step out side the bounds of editing the normal characters. Make sure and heed the words that Zeemis has told you, as that was very good advice on getting started. Just like anything in life, you're not going to be the best right away Wink

I do love the idea of having a Star Wars cast, or a Marvel cast, but I doubt anyone would be willing to make all the sprites =p Possibly you could request some here and there, but most of the spriters here like to do other FF chars, and rarely step out of the genre that much. Just post up your work on this thread as you go along, and ask for pointers or advice on how you should go about it. The other spriters here are great at giving pointers, trust me.

And you can upload your work to the Gallery, (Gallery>Upload) as I'm assuming they are not good enough to be put in the database yet. But like i said, you might want to upload the images to this thread, if you are still working on them and that would make more since.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
@Zeemis - thanks for the reply. that's kind of what I thought. I do hope to learn more about all hacking and spriting and know that it will take time. i have been doing some practice stuff, but haven't been able to figure out to post what i have in the forum, that is until Gi Nattak just mentioned it in his reply.

@Gi Nattak - thanks also for the input. I will learn and keep plugging at both we'll see what happens.

I will try and post some stuff i've tried. thanks to both of you!
  Find

Status
Traitor
Good luck.
You should consider an avatar. Smile
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Hey, it's only vaguely related to your post, but I have a lot of sprites and a somewhat-complete romhack, but I'm looking for someone who likes making new animations, as it's not something that I'm particularly skilled with.

You seem like you want to be involved in a project, and I have need for people who like testing animations.

If you're interested, my hack is a big crossover of a bunch of different big-name RPGs, and I could use a few animations for some of the characters' signature skills. Check out this thread for an idea: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...hp?tid=919

Status
None
[Image: 510_03_03_11_9_45_17.png]

it's a pretty minor alteration, but its a start. Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

He needs some work on his suit, but its a start like I said.

[Image: 510_03_03_11_10_01_48.png]

another one, needs a tail like the real nightcrawler has, and again needs more work.
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Tone down the saturation/brightness on the yellow for Cyclops's gloves and shirt there. Also, note that you didn't color the yellow for his "walking forward" sprite on the left. For his blinking sprite, just don't change anything from his static shot, there's no reason why a character with his eyes covered should have a twitching face in his blinking pose.

I would actually make the blue on Nightcrawler a little more pale. You can't see any of the detail of his face with such a dark color of blue, and it makes him look really weird. The bright red could also be less vivid, but that's not a big issue.

Also, for both of them, on their "arms raised profile" sprites, you completely left Locke's Bandana and Gau's Ponytail on the sprite. Need to at least get rid of those to have an acceptable sprite.

It's not a bad start. You need to practice more, of course, but you're on the right track.

Keep working with these. Try changing Locke's Jacket into something more like one of Cyclops' actual costumes. (Again, try to avoid using such vivid colors, though, or at least make sure that the rest of the palette is just as vivid. Locke's hair and skin are too pale for the bright yellow and red you used.)

Think of these as your 'practice sheets', and keep tweaking them until you have something you like. For now, try just changing the jacket on Locke, we'll eventually work towards changing his hair and giving Nightcrawler a proper tail and his trademark feet. And then we'll move onto more advanced techniques like shading and proportioning.

Status
None
Thanks for the input. i will keep plugging and repost as i make changes. Thanks again to all for info, input, encouragment and most of all....patience!
  Find

Status
Traitor
I can tell the Locke edit is suppose to be Cyclops, at least I think. I can't tell who the other person is. Nightcrawler? Beast?
I've downloaded your Cyclops and edited it.
I edited based on this: https://www.ff6hacking.com/misc/imgshk.png
For viewing purposes, I resized it to show the details in what I did. As you may notice, I've used nine colors, plus a transparent which leaves you with one extra for shading. If I were in your shoes (I can't do everything for ya Tongue), I'd use my last color for one more shade of blue, a middle tone because of all the blue on his back. There are two tones of blue. A dark shade and a light shade, your middle tone would be the color that balances them together. Even with these changes, you can still tell it's a Locke edit based on his arms.
[Image: imgshk.png]

Original:
[Image: imgshk.png]

This is just a quick edit, I want you to complete this. I didn't add the blue color to his arms like Cyclops has, and a few other things are missing.
  Find