Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FFVI Advance on SNES Project

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Though I know for technical reasons it's impossible, I've always felt the original Chicago style font is far nicer looking than the fonts SE used in the Advances...
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 7
Status
None
It's not impossible at all, I may make it an option. I would have to re-center some of the text, but it shouldn't be too hard to make the changes. I'm not a fan of it myself, but it sure beats the font used in the FF6 fan translation.

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Status
None
Ok, so I ran into another problem. I'm doing the battle lines now, located at D1/F000 (on an unheadered ROM).

I figured since there is a 0x00 between each line, that I could just keep the same format. Apparently not... It looks as if the lines are not read right after the <end>, but rather from a specific point in the ROM.

For example, after a fight, where it tells you how much Gil and Exp are earned - they are located at D1F2A8 and D1F2B1. After making my changes, it doesn't line up exactly in those positions so I'm getting pieces of other lines showing up.

The only thing I can think of is to do a search on those addresses, and change them to the new addresses, but the search came up with nothing, so I'm lost. I also took a look at the disassembly docs, but I wasn't sure what to search for in there.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Also this...

[Image: FFVI-Custom-EspersMenu.png]

which should look like this at the top:
[Image: FFVI-Original-EspersMenu.png]

And I realized that there isn't enough room for the esper/item/blitz, etc. descriptions... today is not my day :S

Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(02-28-2012, 12:30 PM)PJM Wrote: For example, after a fight, where it tells you how much Gil and Exp are earned - they are located at D1F2A8 and D1F2B1. After making my changes, it doesn't line up exactly in those positions so I'm getting pieces of other lines showing up.

The pointers start at address D1/F7A0 (headerless rom). Changing the pointers will solve this problem.

(02-28-2012, 12:30 PM)PJM Wrote: [Image: FFVI-Custom-EspersMenu.png]
There isn't enough room for the esper/item/blitz, etc. descriptions

The restored names patch edits the menu window for descriptions, so you're a little bit restrained now. Making the font smaller will help, though.

Status
None
Just to be clear, the screenshot I took and me saying "There isn't enough room for the esper/item/blitz, etc. descriptions" are actually two different problems. Even if I got the descriptions to physically fit in the menu, there isn't enough space in the ROM for all of the new descriptions, unless I move and expand.

This could be a problem depending on how easy or hard it is to move the battle dialogues. I guess I should stop putting that off and just get it over with.

Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
A week ago when I found out how much FF3usME had grown, I was going to set out to change the FF3us dialogue to match FF6A, but you've done so much more here. I wish there were some way I could help. I mean, I was stumped the moment I tried to change " Fenix Down" to " Phoenix Down" and somehow caused an error that made items disappear when I used the Arrange command.

I can at least cheer you on though! Smile
  Find

Status
None
(04-06-2012, 05:16 PM)Binarynova Wrote: A week ago when I found out how much FF3usME had grown, I was going to set out to change the FF3us dialogue to match FF6A, but you've done so much more here. I wish there were some way I could help. I mean, I was stumped the moment I tried to change " Fenix Down" to " Phoenix Down" and somehow caused an error that made items disappear when I used the Arrange command.

I can at least cheer you on though! Smile
Hey, thanks for the post. I originally had the idea to change the dialogue, but where item names, espers, etc. were changed in the dialogue, the same would have to be done elsewhere for it to make any sense. Rather than just changing the items that are different in the dalogue, it made more sense to change all of them to the GBA version, which increased the scope yet again.

It all just kept piling up to where it's overwhelming now. I had no time to work on it recently due to a new job, March break, Easter, etc. but I'm ready to start working on it again, and I should have a beta very soon *crosses fingers*.

Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Hey there!

Just writing in to see how the project has been coming along. Still looking forward to it. I think it'll be a great hack when it's all said and done. If you need any help with any tedious sort of work, let me know. Smile
  Find