Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy: Mutant VI

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
None
I'm working towards an X Men version of FF6. I'm hoping to have all new sptrites for all the playable characters, as well as the main baddies, such as kefka. Hoping to add new enemies as well and maybe music.

I'm hoping to have some newer animations for the attacks of the X Men and will definitely be working on story.

Characters that I have in mind already include:

Wolverine - started sprite
Cyclops - started sprite
Colossus - started sprite
Gambit - started sprite
Nightcrawler - started sprite

(they all still need major work)

I'm thinking of having kitty pride, maybe a phoenix, and xavier, hoping to do beast as well; Maybe Magneto, and maybe some original's one for sure. If anyone has any other suggestions of Characters they'd like to see feel free to toss them out there.

I'm really only working on sprites at the moment and Zeemis has been a huge help already as I am a noob at it. If anyone wants to help with sprites that'd be great let me know. I'm sure when it's all said and done I'll be crediting A LOT of people.

If anyone has ideas for:
-attacks and animations
-other playable characters
-sprites
-ideas of who should have what skillsets and magics available to them.

Please toss them out there. Let's have a conversation.

As I have stuff I'll keep you all posted.
Here's a few of the sprites i've started.

[Image: 510_06_03_11_7_11_13.png]

still needs work, but pretty pleased for what i have.

[Image: 510_08_03_11_6_17_39.png]

HUGE help from Zeemis here.
here's the link for image used for inspiration for cyclops
https://www.ff6hacking.com/misc/imgshk.png

[Image: 510_06_03_11_7_11_57.png]

yes needs work still
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
I would suggest Psylocke as she is the only X-men character I can think of who uses anything resembling a blade and about half of FF6's skill are tailored to sword-like weapons. (This is editable to a degree, but the closer to the original animations you get, the better in my opinion).

Skillset-wise... nothing really fits the X-Men characters in terms 'how the skills are used'. For example, it's easy to say something like 'Cyclops could absorb Fire element attacks because his Beams are solar-powered'... but that doesn't really apply to how it make him more suitable to say... the Dance skill mechanism than Wolverine.

The best I could come up with was really thematic... like Gambit for Slots/GPRain, Psylocke for SwdTech, Wolverine for Blitz, Rogue for Lore/Rage/Sketch, Xavier for Control, Colossus for Morph, Nightcrawler for... Jump! (You could call it Bamf!).

Pretty much everyone else seems like they would work best with just Magic. Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Iceman, basically anyone with Energy Projection abilities (AKA, most of the cast and 90% of the popular characters).

Also, I STRONGLY STRONGLY urge you to avoid originals because unless you are an awesome (and I mean AWESOME) writer, they will fail up your game and make it unplayable. People don't play fangames because they want to see your original characters, they only care about the characters from the comics/media you based your work on. DON'T DO IT PLEASE.
It's your game, so this is just a suggestion, but it's something I feel strongly about.

EDIT: Actually, Storm would be awesome for the Dance skillset now that I think about it - it changes the background, so it would definitely match her weather powers.

EDIT2: I just realized why you wanted set the Regen status permanently. For Wolvie, just make a Relic called HealFactor or something, make it a piece of his initial equipment, and then make it so that he's the only one who can equip it, and that he -can't- equip many other Relics, so that players will just keep it on him for the whole game. It's not perfect, but I guarantee you that it's effectively the same as trying to do extensive hacking to get it to work like Interceptor status.

Status
None
(03-08-2011, 09:50 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: I would suggest Psylocke as she is the only X-men character I can think of who uses anything resembling a blade and about half of FF6's skill are tailored to sword-like weapons. (This is editable to a degree, but the closer to the original animations you get, the better in my opinion).

I've thought about the bladed weapons that are rampant throughout ff6 and so far it's something that will just have to be a part of the characters. Some of them will work, i.e. claws for wolverine. And some of them are workable (lances for Gambit, swords/blades for psylocke).

(03-08-2011, 09:50 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Skillset-wise... nothing really fits the X-Men characters in terms 'how the skills are used'. For example, it's easy to say something like 'Cyclops could absorb Fire element attacks because his Beams are solar-powered'... but that doesn't really apply to how it make him more suitable to say... the Dance skill mechanism than Wolverine.

hmm. the absorption of elements related to powers of X Men, i think i like this.

(03-08-2011, 09:50 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: The best I could come up with was really thematic... like Gambit for Slots/GPRain, Psylocke for SwdTech, Wolverine for Blitz, Rogue for Lore/Rage/Sketch, Xavier for Control, Colossus for Morph, Nightcrawler for... Jump! (You could call it Bamf!).

I understand where you're going with the thematic for each one and like most of them. Gambit with the slots/gprain doesn't really fit, but definitely like the cards for him. Thought about giving him cards and lances for weapons. I thought about including Domino in the hack as her mutant ability is 'luck' and that would work well with slots. Right now I have wolverine on swdtech, and thinking of blitz for colossus. I am actually liking the idea of Lore/Rage/Sketch for Rogue as she as the ability to absorb powers and use them. Xavier and control (or any telepath for that matter) is a good fit.

The morph for Colossus is intriguing. I have originally thought about leaving that with Terra (who would be an original mutant) mostly for the sake of I'm not sure how to make any other character fit her role. She freaks out and flies away as part of the story line, so doesn't she need to have morph? Or whoever replaces locke would still need steal in order to progress the story along, etc. Do you have any idea how you would use morph for colossus to go from regular to steely and usable as soon as you obtain him without messing up story stuff?

And Nightcrawler with jump as Bamf! = GENIUS Laugh

(03-08-2011, 09:50 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Pretty much everyone else seems like they would work best with just Magic. Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Iceman, basically anyone with Energy Projection abilities (AKA, most of the cast and 90% of the popular characters).

That's kind of along the lines of what i was thinking. Maybe giving cyclops magitek, mainly because firebeam would look sweet coming from his visor.
Do you know if there is a way to assign certain spells to certain characters only? i.e. cyclops gets firespells, storm could have all elementals, iceman ice spells, jean other spells like ultima, meteor etc.

(03-08-2011, 09:50 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Also, I STRONGLY STRONGLY urge you to avoid originals because unless you are an awesome (and I mean AWESOME) writer, they will fail up your game and make it unplayable. People don't play fangames because they want to see your original characters, they only care about the characters from the comics/media you based your work on. DON'T DO IT PLEASE.
It's your game, so this is just a suggestion, but it's something I feel strongly about.

I completely understand where you are coming from here. My reasons for this were stated above as I'm not too sure how it's going to work with moving the game a long as my current hacking knowledge is limited.

(03-08-2011, 09:50 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: EDIT: Actually, Storm would be awesome for the Dance skillset now that I think about it - it changes the background, so it would definitely match her weather powers.

I do like this as well. If the dances were controllable, that would also be great. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i've seen patch for controllable dances floating around somewhere.

(03-08-2011, 09:50 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: EDIT2: I just realized why you wanted set the Regen status permanently. For Wolvie, just make a Relic called HealFactor or something, make it a piece of his initial equipment, and then make it so that he's the only one who can equip it, and that he -can't- equip many other Relics, so that players will just keep it on him for the whole game. It's not perfect, but I guarantee you that it's effectively the same as trying to do extensive hacking to get it to work like Interceptor status.

This is where my thought process were going. I was going to start him with a 'regen ring' and take it from there. I have also thought about giving the fliers a float relic as well.
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Gambit could also be done fairly easy, seeing as I could make you a custom weapon animation for a quarter-staff. The staff's present in the game currently are mages' staff's whereas Gambit uses something more like a Shaolin monks quarter-staff.
There's also the fact that FFVI already has a Card weapon. :p
  Find

Status
None
Okay, so like 80% of your questions can be answered with: "Did you know that you can choose who can use which piece of equipment?"
Seriously, with some creative assigning of equips, you can make sure that say "Every piece of Wolverine-exclusive equipment gives innate Regen". This ensures that Wolvie will have his regen ability so long as the player has -any- equips on Wolverine. And honestly, if the player can beat your game without any equips on, then you've made it too easy, go back and try again. (Same thing for Float for the Flyers, Invisibility/Clear/Image for Kitty, or elemental absorption for Iceman.)

Along the same lines, I hope you know that all equipment can teach a spell. Using unique weapons/armor/relics, you can ensure that only one character can learn a certain spell(s). For example, if you only want Iceman to learn the Ice spells, then just make sure that only his "Icicle" sword teaches Blizzard, and that no Espers or Terra/Celes' natural magic lists have it. This is all doable with FF3usME.

A note on elemental absorption. Note you might want to start characters with Armors/Relics/Shields that half, then immune, and then at lategame absorb the elements, otherwise your game is pretty unbalanced. Also, I would rename the Holy/Pearl element to Psychic or Energy since you're probably going to have a lot of enemies that use those elements. Not -all- of the X-men really 'absorb' their own elements. Iceman certainly would. Storm, maybe not so much (she could certainly -resist- Water, Air, and Thunder, though). Cyclops is literally solar-powered if I remember correctly, which means absorbing heat.

Now, the more complicated stuff:
Dance doesn't really have a Controllable Patch for it that I've seen, but you -can- assign which backgrounds/spells/skills go with which Dance. And there -is- a patch that ensures that a Dance never "stumbles". (Note that unless you make Storm from Mog, you'll have to hex-edit which character slot learns the Dances. This is fairly trivial, and there's a guide in the hex-editing area.)

Terra's role:
You can edit Terra's esper sprite with a combination of FF3usME and YYR. It's a little complicated and I don't recommend trying immediately, but Zeemis made a tutorial for that, too. This means that you -can- edit the sprites in the scenes of her freakin' out and flying around as a pink thing with crazy hair. I personally would suggest making her into Jean Grey/Phoenix, who pretty much does the same thing. But you could also use Rogue or Storm, who also had memorable freakouts related to their powers.

Locke's role:
You can easily edit the event script to not require the Stolen Disguises for Locke's scenario (requires some minor hex-editing). Alternately, you can just edit the battle script for "Merchants"/"Soldiers" to just hand over the disguises from the 'Fight' command instead of 'Steal' (no hex-editing, all done with FF3usME).

Personal Bias note:
Domino is stupid, don't use her. Just my vote.
If you go along with all the suggestions I've made, I think you may have over 14 PCs already.
Jean (probably Terra's role, Magic/X-Magic/Control, Fire/Psy element)
Cyclops (Magic, renamed Energy maybe? Fire element)
Wolverine (SwdTech, renamed Admntm, maybe? Innate Regen on all weapons)
Iceman (Magic, exclusive use of the Ice element/Freeze status effect?)
Gambit (GP Rain/Steal? I honestly think SwdTech fits him best since his abilities are literally more powerful just by charging longer)
Colossus (Blitz, high defense, maybe innate Reflect?)
Rogue (Rage/Lore/Sketch... seriously, she's the ultimate Blue Mage)
Nightcrawler (BAMF!)
Kitty (uh... innate Invisibility status! Perhaps make all of her weapons use the Man Eater's 2x damage vs. Humans byte... and then tag all of your Machine-type enemies with the 'Human' tag. This would essentially let her get 2x damage vs. Machines.)
Xavier (replaces Banon? Control)
Storm (Dance, immune Water/Air/Thunder)
Psylocke (Psychic resistance, good with swords)
Magneto (Runic?! -it's like magnetism! as General Leo?)

Oh... only 11. Well, you can certainly find a better idea than Domino. (I would vote for Beast and Angel to get the original five in. Or Havok if you want to literally have the Figaro Brothers be the Summers Brothers.)

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
I actually have a quarter staff weapon made that takes place of the imp's halberd if u want it

(send me a PM with your email and I'll send it 2 u)

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
(03-09-2011, 08:31 AM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Okay, so like 80% of your questions can be answered with: "Did you know that you can choose who can use which piece of equipment?"
Seriously, with some creative assigning of equips, you can make sure that say "Every piece of Wolverine-exclusive equipment gives innate Regen". This ensures that Wolvie will have his regen ability so long as the player has -any- equips on Wolverine. And honestly, if the player can beat your game without any equips on, then you've made it too easy, go back and try again. (Same thing for Float for the Flyers, Invisibility/Clear/Image for Kitty, or elemental absorption for Iceman.)

Along the same lines, I hope you know that all equipment can teach a spell. Using unique weapons/armor/relics, you can ensure that only one character can learn a certain spell(s). For example, if you only want Iceman to learn the Ice spells, then just make sure that only his "Icicle" sword teaches Blizzard, and that no Espers or Terra/Celes' natural magic lists have it. This is all doable with FF3usME.

A note on elemental absorption. Note you might want to start characters with Armors/Relics/Shields that half, then immune, and then at lategame absorb the elements, otherwise your game is pretty unbalanced. Also, I would rename the Holy/Pearl element to Psychic or Energy since you're probably going to have a lot of enemies that use those elements. Not -all- of the X-men really 'absorb' their own elements. Iceman certainly would. Storm, maybe not so much (she could certainly -resist- Water, Air, and Thunder, though). Cyclops is literally solar-powered if I remember correctly, which means absorbing heat.

I was somewhat aware of this having perused through ff3usme. But wasn't exactly sure all the logistics of it. I'm getting excited for that aspect of the hack - putting the animations and equipments and skills to the characters, just have to get through the get characters first lol.
Good reminder on the absorption. Thank you.

(03-09-2011, 08:31 AM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Now, the more complicated stuff:
Dance doesn't really have a Controllable Patch for it that I've seen, but you -can- assign which backgrounds/spells/skills go with which Dance. And there -is- a patch that ensures that a Dance never "stumbles". (Note that unless you make Storm from Mog, you'll have to hex-edit which character slot learns the Dances. This is fairly trivial, and there's a guide in the hex-editing area.)

I was thinking already of placing Storm in Mog's role. So that should work out well. where does one get the said, 'never stumble' patch?

(03-09-2011, 08:31 AM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Terra's role:
You can edit Terra's esper sprite with a combination of FF3usME and YYR. It's a little complicated and I don't recommend trying immediately, but Zeemis made a tutorial for that, too. This means that you -can- edit the sprites in the scenes of her freakin' out and flying around as a pink thing with crazy hair. I personally would suggest making her into Jean Grey/Phoenix, who pretty much does the same thing. But you could also use Rogue or Storm, who also had memorable freakouts related to their powers.

I was thinking along those lines as she has the most memorable freak out and power gain through that freak out.

(03-09-2011, 08:31 AM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Locke's role:
You can easily edit the event script to not require the Stolen Disguises for Locke's scenario (requires some minor hex-editing). Alternately, you can just edit the battle script for "Merchants"/"Soldiers" to just hand over the disguises from the 'Fight' command instead of 'Steal' (no hex-editing, all done with FF3usME).

So it can be set up that if i choose fight he will take/gain the merchant suit? or does it become a reward from defeating the merchant in battle?
Along those lines can the same thing be done with the Vargas battle? Standard ff6 - enter sabin use pummel, fights over. Can ff3usme be used to change that script as well where it's just a battle until Vargas is defeated? or some other action occurs - such as using an item or other skill?

(03-09-2011, 08:31 AM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Personal Bias note:
Domino is stupid, don't use her. Just my vote.

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping it will be a decent game that will give fun gameplay, especially for X men and ff6 fans alike. Thats why i've set it up here for the input!

(03-09-2011, 08:31 AM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: If you go along with all the suggestions I've made, I think you may have over 14 PCs already.
Jean (probably Terra's role, Magic/X-Magic/Control, Fire/Psy element)
Cyclops (Magic, renamed Energy maybe? Fire element)
Wolverine (SwdTech, renamed Admntm, maybe? Innate Regen on all weapons)
Iceman (Magic, exclusive use of the Ice element/Freeze status effect?)
Gambit (GP Rain/Steal? I honestly think SwdTech fits him best since his abilities are literally more powerful just by charging longer)
Colossus (Blitz, high defense, maybe innate Reflect?)
Rogue (Rage/Lore/Sketch... seriously, she's the ultimate Blue Mage)
Nightcrawler (BAMF!)
Kitty (uh... innate Invisibility status! Perhaps make all of her weapons use the Man Eater's 2x damage vs. Humans byte... and then tag all of your Machine-type enemies with the 'Human' tag. This would essentially let her get 2x damage vs. Machines.)
Xavier (replaces Banon? Control)
Storm (Dance, immune Water/Air/Thunder)
Psylocke (Psychic resistance, good with swords)
Magneto (Runic?! -it's like magnetism! as General Leo?)

Oh... only 11. Well, you can certainly find a better idea than Domino. (I would vote for Beast and Angel to get the original five in. Or Havok if you want to literally have the Figaro Brothers be the Summers Brothers.)

I definitely look to include beast and was thinking of how i might incorporate angel/archangel as well. I would like to include magneto as a playable member too, but not sure yet. He's the master of magnetism after all. Still tossing around if Xavier will be able to walk or wheel chair bound in this episode.

thanks for the great input!
(03-09-2011, 03:21 AM)Zεεຕใร Wrote: Gambit could also be done fairly easy, seeing as I could make you a custom weapon animation for a quarter-staff. The staff's present in the game currently are mages' staff's whereas Gambit uses something more like a Shaolin monks quarter-staff.
There's also the fact that FFVI already has a Card weapon. :p

How would this work exactly? Would it replace all is attack animations or just a few? Sounds very interesting.
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
You could go about making a quarter-staff a couple of ways. The best way is to just replace something like Atma Weapon or the Illumina.
  Find

Status
None
why atma weapon or illumina?
  Find

Status
None
(03-09-2011, 03:45 PM)ribbits Wrote: I was thinking already of placing Storm in Mog's role. So that should work out well. where does one get the said, 'never stumble' patch?

So it can be set up that if i choose fight he will take/gain the merchant suit? or does it become a reward from defeating the merchant in battle?
Along those lines can the same thing be done with the Vargas battle? Standard ff6 - enter sabin use pummel, fights over. Can ff3usme be used to change that script as well where it's just a battle until Vargas is defeated? or some other action occurs - such as using an item or other skill?

I'm pretty sure that the never stumble patch is already on this site?

As for enemy battle scripts, yes. I would suggest that you just open up FF3usME yourself and read a few of them.