Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Weapon Animation Database

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
There didn't seem to be a simple listing of the weapon animations and what they look like, so I decided to make one, complete with visual aids Smile

[Image: A1gxP6Z.png]

R-hand and L-hand are the weapon's sprite. The only weapons that use a different animation for the two hands are Shadow's short blades and some of Sabin's claws, but I have looked closely at the animations for both hands, while weapons were in either hand, and I honestly can't tell the difference.

Attack is the type of hit animation that appears over enemies, and Attribute affects special weapons. Throw Wpn. at the top is for Shuriken and Setzer's cards, they cause the thrown weapon to be thrown in threes, and another field labeled Throw Wpn at the bottom causes the weapon to be thrown in the first place; all weapons with throwing animations have that flag. Boomerang gives a weapon the boomerang throw, naturally. Atma wpn, I'm honestly not sure on that one, it's confusing.

Some of the weapon sprites and attack animations, are specifically designed to work with each other, so it's a bit hit-or-miss when they work without the other. You can use the chakram animation to make any weapon into a boomerang, but a sword circling the enemy's sprite will look weird. On the other hand, stars, darts, boomerangs, and chakrams, can be used without the throwing animation and work just fine, though they may look a little odd too. So if you want to give Shadow a dash of Yuffie flavor, you could totally have him use stars and chakrams as normal weapons that he slashes enemies with.

[Image: 6BhOVDP.png][Image: vzWwmEA.png][Image: dMJVph8.png][Image: M0RJTgK.png]

Finally, there were some surprising finds in terms of "this works as an attack animation" as I ran down the list; there's some hiccups to overcome, but if you can, you could come up with some creative weapons!

Without further adeiu, here's the database. If a byte isn't listed here, it's because it was too glitchy to be a viable attack animation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
  Find
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to DrakeyC for this post:
  • madsiur (09-29-2022), PowerPanda (09-29-2022), ppml (09-29-2022), Warrax (10-07-2022), xDaygo (05-16-2023)

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
This is amazing, DrakeyC! I wonder if Celes's Desperation Attack, Spin Edge, is in there somewhere.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Sadly no, both sprite and animations for weapons are limited to two bytes, so we can only go as high as FF, which gets us into Esper animations.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
A couple of notes:

1. Divergent Paths adds a weapon for Gau to upgrade him late-game. From the beginning, I wanted that weapon to have the pummel animation, so this was a great find! However, for the Pummel animation, the sound effect does not transfer over correctly. When played as a spell, the sound effect is played at a faster speed. As an attack sound effect, it is a lower pitch, and goes on a few seconds too long. I've tried out all of the sound effects, and the ones that fit are $04 (escape sound, actually matches the animation perfectly), $33 (unarmed attack sound, only 1), $DA (flail sound, actually fits here).
Edit: #188 (hex $BC) the sound effect for Revenge, is perfect.

2. Great find on the unused weapon animation. After reviewing the possible places it could go, I think it fits best with the Rune Edge. The shading on the side could be easily seen as runes. I have added it to Divergent Paths.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • DrakeyC (09-30-2022)