Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Hack with town and dungeon map edits?

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hi All,

Good to be here! Looking forward to seeing all the FFVI hacking projects in progress. My assumption has been that there isn't an hack in existence that changes the layout of towns and dungeons. Could someone enlighten me if such a hack does exist or is in the works? If not, why didn't anyone make one yet? Is it too complicated or technically not feasible?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
RotDS and FF6: T-Edition have map changes. T-Edition is the only one having tilesets modification (FF4 import) and has new maps for that. RotDS has smaller map edits but a new castle is being worked on as shown here: https://youtu.be/1Lqsy5a5-Co

I don't know which utility tsushiy used for T-Edition but RotDS use FF6LE Rogue CE. Maybe it would also be possible to edit maps and expand tilemap data with FF6Tools by editing the json definitions file first. There isn't much tilemap space to work with in vanilla game so that's why most hack have zero to little map modifications.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Thank you! Good to hear that there is some prove that this is actually possible. You mention space limitations, but I can imagine that removing several maps would create enough space to edit existing maps, no? That way you could create a game from scratch with brand new environments. With Ember of Mana I'm working that way now, and within the limitations of it works well. Is there a way to move map data to an expanded ROM for FFVI?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-31-2022, 03:35 AM)Ok Impala! Wrote: You mention space limitations, but I can imagine that removing several maps would create enough space to edit existing maps, no? That way you could create a game from scratch with brand new environments. With Ember of Mana I'm working that way now, and within the limitations of it works well. Is there a way to move map data to an expanded ROM for FFVI?

Yes if you delete completely some maps it will give you space for extra tilemap data. FF6LE Rogue CE actually use a minimum of 3-4 banks of free space in expanded ROM as new tilemap space and you can even increase it to up to 6 banks iirc. It's not a complicated expansion to do iirc and other editors like FF6Tools might support it if you change the relevant code and the json definition file to point to relocated data.
  Find