Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mod-agnostic no-text patch

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
This is a no-text patch I've been working on that doesn't depend on the state of the event or dialogue banks. Instead, it slices into the default handlers for event codes $4B and $48 (dialogue with and without wait for input, respectively) and just... doesn't display them. Unless it detects they contain a treasure indicator or multiple choice prompt, in which case it does display them (in case one wants to apply a randomizer to their ROM). It also skips dialogue events in combat.

This patch does not try to skip cutscenes, so there's still quite a bit of waiting around for animation queues etc., during more elaborate ones, e.g. the Opera. I may try to expand its functionality to cover this in the future, but that seems like a scary undertaking using the approach I've taken for the dialogue.

Finally, I've rigged all the custom event handler hooks up to a switch in the config menu that I repurposed from the "Sound: Stereo/Mono" switch, so you can toggle the text back on at your leisure to enjoy your favorite lines or whatever.

I've added a randomizer-specific version of the patch that displays a custom "Obtained the magicite '<X>'" message whenever you obtain magicite via the $86 event code. I thought it would make a nice QoL addition to not have to parse your Esper list to figure out which Esper(s) you just obtained when the game is not displaying the dialogue box (or is actually displaying incorrect dialogue, in the case of randomizers that don't change the text from vanilla for these events). Nothing stopping you from using it in non-randomizer play too, but you probably already know which Espers are where in this case.

You can find the asm and ips patches on my github here: https://github.com/SirNewtonFig/FF6notext

This patch was assembled using asar on an unheadered ROM. It was developed originally for BNW, but should be applicable to vanilla, or any other flavor of FF6 that does not seriously rearrange bank $C0 or $C1. As-is, the portion that uses pre-existing free space is pointed to a region of free space for BNW, but it is also eligible free space in vanilla (and I've included a comment to bump it to an earlier location in the block of free space, if available).

Enjoy, and please let me know if you discover any issues (or have any ideas for optimizations, I'm still pretty new to this).
  Find
[-] The following 9 users say Thank You to SirNewtonFig for this post:
  • Gens (04-10-2021), Gi Nattak (04-10-2021), Joshua H. (06-08-2021), madsiur (04-10-2021), NPCnextdoor (04-30-2021), seibaby (04-10-2021), snaphat (06-07-2021), SSJ Rick (04-11-2021), Warrax (04-11-2021)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
This is a nice patch! Thanks for sharing!
  Find

Status
None
Update: I finished implementing the rest of the features on my to-do list, and have released the patch in full on my github. See original post^^.
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Very nice, very polished patch. Glad to have you around!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to seibaby for this post:
  • SirNewtonFig (06-08-2021)

Status
None
Update: fixed a bug where the randomizer-friendly version of the patch was calling the "get esper" event handler incorrectly when the text was toggled back on in the config, causing you to not receive the esper at all. Whoopsie!
  Find