Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Good news?

Threads: 25
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
ok, now let's talk patches, any of them for breaking cap's?

Whelp. I still remember this place 13 years since first joining   Laugh
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Weakness
Huh.

I didn't know anyone would be interested in a standalone patch to make monsters able to have 24-bit HP (for a max of 16,777,215 HP instead of 65,535).

But yeah, I did make such a modification for Pandora's Box. Actually, I made it for a hack I was doing pre-PB, but it never was released. It involved a lot of changes, and it took most of about 3 afternoons to do, mostly because there are so many special effects that either use HP or effect it somehow. Well, there were a couple bugs I had to work out (healing HP was messed up when wrapping into the third byte). But that patch, being such a major one, was tested properly with many test cases, so I fixed all the issues.

It probably wouldn't be too hard for me to isolate the changes and release a patch. I could do that if the community would actually use it. The only real issue is that I have almost 0 free time these days.

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Lenophis said that they improved upon your patch; however, they could not extract the entire patch with it's changes. If you would release this patch, Lord J could (as the original post says) implement the patch to his editor which is about to be released and we could legitimately have higher difficulty bosses.
It's good to see you back.

Do you see a patch which surpasses 9999 damage a difficult feat to make?
(PS, Lenophis won't be online for some amount of months. AoL finally cancelled his "free trail" and that was the only ISP that he could get that supported dial-up in his area. His area only supported dial-up)
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
^...^

NOOOOO! Lenophis! NOOOOO! The ever knowledgeable savior! NOOOO!

*sobs* I feel like I just lost my religion ToT

but really, I am sad, he was always so helpful... *sigh*

Sorry Zeemis but until my messiah comes back to reclaim his position of all awesomeness and patience... you've ascended the rank. Have fun! ^-^

((I'm being totally serious by the way ^-^ ))
  Find

Status
Weakness
I don't know how soon I could do it, but getting the patch to work independently is quite possible. The thing is, it would almost certainly break dozens of other patches if done blindly (that is, if you just applied it in combination rather than re-arranging a lot of code manually).

Regardless, if that is deemed an acceptable risk, then I could probably get this done.

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Status
Traitor
Do it anyway you see fit.
  Find

Status
Weakness
I think it's important to reiterate: this patch doesn't raise the 9999 damage cap. It only can raise the Max HP of monsters, and makes all the various attacks work properly to handle the new higher HP.

While in moderation this could be a good thing (bosses that need no special tricks to break the 65536 limit), I'd hate to see things done just for the wow factor (like "Wow, one million HP..har har!").

I doubt it would be useful for regular monsters. Can you imagine a random battle where the enemy has 100k HP? That would be quite tedious.
However, I did do that for testing, and I have to admit, it is quite fulfilling to beat on a monster, doing 9999 per strike, using Genji Glove and Offering, and then finally killing it. Laugh

Anyway, tldr; my point is that there's NO substitute for good AI design.
I'd gladly make this patch and let someone use if if they understand that. Also, if someone has an idea for new AI commands that they think would be cool/useful for their custom boss, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
good stuff man, but I think all in all

that is exactly what everyone here probably wants (@ least I hope so lol)

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Lucky-Girl
Well, I for one LOVE this idea. I've always been upset with final bosses like Kefka and Sephiroth; their HP always seems waaay too low. But this patch could make them the final bosses they should be.

I want it when it's done. =x

"The doom and gloom is justified.
A couple of people are going to die.
Even though you can turn back the time,
you're always a moment too late!"
  Find

Status
Traitor
All of my bosses currently surpass 65535 HP, but it'd still be cool. I'd really like to see a patch that gets above 9999 damage, maybe even 9999 life.

It would get tedious for regular monsters to get above 100k life, but only if you were stuck doing 9999. If you balanced it out by surpassing the limit, it wouldn't be tedious as much.

Imzogelmo, watch this. Tongue
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf6aIVqFgoQ[/youtube]
  Find