Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Question about headers

Status
None
Is there a tool which detects if a rom is headered or not? How do I tell the difference? Aren't some roms expanded after patching, and if so how do I later remember if that rom was headered or not?

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Prowess
As far as I know, the easiest way to tell if your ROM has a header or not is to check the file size. Vanilla's ROM size is 3072 KB, which is precisely 3 MB, so it's unheadered. A headered ROM would be 3073 KB, and is not precisely 3 MB, and so it's headered.

After patching, I, for example, have a T-Edition ROM that has a size of 6144 KB, which is exactly 6 MB, and so I believe that means it's also unheadered.

SNEStuff gives you the option to add or remove headers, so if that's easier, you can just do that, and it will tell you if it's added or removed a header. There's perhaps a better way of just having it tell you "This ROM has/does not have a header," but I haven't messed around with it too much, or used any other programs to say for sure.

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/400/

The NSRT utility from RHDN (link above) will scan an SNES ROM and tell you definitively if it has a header or if it is a bad dump. It also tells you if the ROM has an NSRT header (compatible with ZSNES) or some other, unrecognized header style.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I usually go with the filesize (in the case of FF3us, 3073KB for regular headered ROM or 4097KB for expanded headered ROM) or just open the ROM and look at the first 0x200 bytes. If they are mostly 00 the ROM has a header. I usually also use the hex editor to remove or add a header (in the case of adding one I just add 0x200 time 00 at the beginning).
  Find

Status
None
(07-14-2020, 02:00 PM)C-Dude Wrote: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/400/

The NSRT utility from RHDN (link above) will scan an SNES ROM and tell you definitively if it has a header or if it is a bad dump.  It also tells you if the ROM has an NSRT header (compatible with ZSNES) or some other, unrecognized header style.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.