Patch: Soft Reset

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
author: SilentEnigma
Download

This patch implements the familiar soft reset feature found in other FF releases.

The player may command a soft reset by pressing Start+Select+L+R on the field and during battle.

Enjoy!

.zip  SoftReset_v1.1.zip (2.83 KB, 9 downloads)
[-] The following 8 users say Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • DrakeyC (05-16-2020), Gi Nattak (05-16-2020), h.carrell (08-02-2022), Lightning (05-23-2020), madsiur (05-16-2020), PowerPanda (05-17-2020), SSJ Rick (05-17-2020), Warrax (05-24-2020)

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
This is especially useful on real hardware! no more walking across the room to hit the reset button when something goes terribly wrong at the colosseum. Smile

Will use this with my hack and credit you!
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Thank you for this! Yep definitely useful on real hardware.

Find

Status
Enlight
The patch has been updated to v1.1 for compatibility with @Madsiur's Music Player.

Threads: 1
Status
None
Are these routines super game specific? Wondering how easy it would be to port this to FFIV...
  Find

Status
Enlight
The bulk of the patch code is reproducing the entry point of the program in the C0 bank (see C0/0020), but it skips over the call that initializes the sound chip.

The skip prevents the sound from getting messed up in some emulators. (The echo effect would stop working. Same thing would happen if you got a game over on a new game before saving)

I remember FF2us having a different memory layout than FF3us, so there are probably several differences. But the same general idea should work.
  • Code injection in the controller input loop/check
  • Check for exempt condition(s), i.e. are we in the field menu -- this check will definitely look different in FF2us
  • Check for the button combo (I doubt there's any custom button mapping in FF2us)
  • SPC command to stop sounds
  • Reproduce game initialization code up to, but excluding, the sound chip initialization
  • Jump to the actual game initialization code just after sound chip initialization

Threads: 1
Status
None
Thanks for the quick reply SilentEnigma. I'll have to do some more research. I'm very new to SNES assembly and programming languages in general. I've been looking through the FF4 disassembly (japanese version is my target btw), and seeing things like "init interrupt jump code, init hardware registers, clear ram, init sound/music" toward the beginning of the code so I'm guessing somewhere in there is a good place to jump to.
  Find