Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Opinion: Moving Party Change from Narshe to Figaro

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
One of the changes that I have wanted to implement for quite some time is to change the place where you change party members while you're searching for Terra and infiltrating the Empire. In the vanilla game, you have to trek all the way back to Arvis's house in Narshe to change. I would like to make Figaro Castle the central hub, and not Narshe.

(The one thing that would get in the way of this is the optional event where Sabin returns to Figaro castle. It would create some game-breaking situations if he went off to explore the castle, and then you switched party members. So, I will make that scene required. Following the Battle of Narshe, I will force only Edgar and Sabin into your party, and put in a line of dialogue about how they are going onto Figaro ahead of the others to make preparations. Your other party members won't show up until the Edgar/Sabin sequence has finished.)

Now, for the opinion question. Where in the castle does it make the most sense for your party members to be? The place with the most open space is the throne room, but does it make sense for your party to hang out there? The other options are the hallway where the chancellor is strolling around and the main entryway. Outdoors could potentially work, but it's a complex-enough map that I don't really want to add anything extra to it. So, what is your opinion?

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • DrakeyC (04-12-2020), SSJ Rick (04-13-2020)

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Status
None
How about spreading characters out in different rooms like on the Falcon?

If you put any characters outside on the sand, make sure they don't move around randomly because there is nothing stopping them from moving past the map exit triggers.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • PowerPanda (04-08-2020)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
I agree with Everything that spreading them out would be the most effective presentation (and is mirrored in Vector before the Thamasa expedition, albeit without party selection as an option there). Moving the selection to Figaro Castle is also a good way to get around the forced map load required in the event script after a character selection; it circumvents the complication "Hey, is Figaro in West or East Desert?" that would come up placing it anywhere else.

All that said, it's not really a problem if they hang out in the throne room. It IS Edgar's castle and he's working with the rebels against Vector; it makes sense that they'd be gathered and discussing their plans. Another good spot might be the library, since Figaro is known for its scholars and everybody's trying to suss out how Gestahl made his Magitek in that arc of the scenario, but you're might hit an NPC pinch there since it shares with the 'interiors' of the castle.

If you're going to spread them out, I'd say:
(Edgar) Throne Room
(Sabin) King's Bedroom OR Toolshop
(Locke) East Bedroom
(Terra) Library
(Celes) East Bedroom OR Library
(Cyan) Submerge Room OR Prison
(Gau) Entrance Stairs OR Throne Room [hopping up and down on the throne]

...That's everybody, right? Are you going to have Shadow leave the party when you enter Figaro Castle? Will you be putting Arvis or Banon in Figaro? ...You didn't add an early Mog recruit, right? If you did, I'd put him in the lookout tower [the coin tower].
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • madsiur (04-10-2020), PowerPanda (04-08-2020)

Status
None
I totally forgot about Shadow! Thank you for the reminder.

I like the idea of spreading them out, but I'll need to look into it. It's much easier to drop them all on the same map.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
I ended up just putting them in the throne room, as it only required editing the current logic, and not writing new logic. It works for now, and it's wonderful to not have to backtrack to Narshe in that section of the game!

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • C-Dude (04-11-2020), SSJ Rick (04-13-2020)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
You get bonus points for thinking to put them in Figaro. I had wanted to move that event as well, but I tried to do it with the Zozo Esper tutorial ghost (well, moogle), and I hit a hard wall with that forced map load. Wish I'd thought of Figaro while I was still doing event editing.

EDIT: Again, having them all hang out in the throne room isn't that weird. I mean, before, they were all hanging out in Arvis's house. THAT was weird. "We're trying to convince this rich mining community to help us fight Gesthal's magitek forces. Let's pace around in some old man's parlor!"
I mean, from a story standpoint why weren't they in the Elder's house?
  Find

Status
None
Thanks, C-Dude. I think I just needed someone to affirm that the Throne Room was okay. I have Edgar on the left throne and Sabin on the right, complaining about how uncomfortable it is. Celes, Locke, and Cyan are walking around the room, and Gau is running. Shadow will stay in your party if you're just entering the castle and shuttling between East/West, but if you try to enter the throne room, he'll ditch. I just took the event from the Narshe entrance and dropped it into the Chancellor's hallway, with no editing.

The actual editing of the NPCs was pretty simple. Note to anyone in the future that you will also have to edit the scene with Lone Wolf in the treasure room, and a scene that triggers at the Narshe entrance that has you talking to Banon, Arvis, and the Elder. All you have to do in these scenes is change which NPC they point to. The hardest part, by far, was editing the Figaro flashback sequence so that you had to view it in order to progress through the story. Lots of tiny little things that need to be accounted for... I ended up having it trigger when Edgar talks to the Chancellor, and changing the Figaro bedroom to be JUST a bedroom where your party can rest.

In all, I'm happy with this. Figaro is your "vehicle" at that point in the game, and it makes sense for the party to wait in the vehicle. It's still quite the backtrack from Zozo, but it's much better.

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Great idea with this, and nicely done Smile
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
this is a really great idea, I like it a lot

and it really does make more sense

great work

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC