Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Can monsters be made to display their status?

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 9
Status
None
Something that frustrates me to no end as I'm testing my hack is the fact that monsters give absolutely no indication of their status.  Are they asleep?  Poisoned?  Mute?  Condemned?  Some of these things can be checked by wasting a turn on Scan, but it would be so much more convenient and aesthetically pleasing if the monsters would use head graphics for their ailments like the player actors do.

I've seen some info in the C1 disassembly where statuses can change colors for _player_ actors.  Hatzen made a patch that changes recolors into head graphics for _player_ actors.  LeetSketcher made one that cycles the outline coloration.  But all of these are for the player party.

Is it feasible to force draw the muddle, mute, sleep, countdown, and poison animations over afflicted monsters in the same way?  What about making a monster's palette outline (color 1) cycle colors like the player's does?  Has anyone already made a patch to that effect (I couldn't find one)?  And most importantly, does anyone other than me perceive this sort of thing as a problem/missing feature?

I'm trying to decide if I want to delve into it now, or just release my mod once testing is complete and look into these kinds of things later.  All the assembly I've done thus-far has been extensions of patches that other players programmed, and since xKas won't run for me I have to program directly in hex.  Does this sound like the kind of thing that would be a quick change (like removing a check for whether the target is a player) or an extensive rewrite?
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 15
Thanks Given: 37
Status
Debrave
I admit I haven't looked into this at all or even know how to begin but this sounds like this would be a very complicated reprogramming.

There are two main problems that I can see with the idea. The first is monster palettes have more colors than player palettes, and many of those statuses modify multiple, specifically designated player sprite colors. Trying to do that for monsters might not even be possible due to palette & capability limits.

The second is that unlike players, which have a very standardized appearance, monsters can look like anything, and their sizes vary. Which standard colors in a monster pallete would you swap for zombie? Where would you position the boxes for Sleep and Poison?

If there are no known VRAM issues you could probably create a simplified icon to display a status, but even that will be a nightmare to implement. But, again, I don't necessarily know what I'm taking about, so maybe someone more knowlegable can chime in.
  Find

Threads: 261
Thanks Received: 636
Thanks Given: 254
Status
Faith
That probably classify as an extensive rewrite. You could however inspire yourself from the palette cycle code and extend it to monster. If all monster have color 1 as their black outline, itcould be doable to use that. It's not something I would try coding in raw hex though.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 41
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Quote:Something that frustrates me to no end as I'm testing my hack is the fact that monsters give absolutely no indication of their status.  Are they asleep?  Poisoned?  Mute?  Condemned?  Some of these things can be checked by wasting a turn on Scan,

no, it doesn't even do that!!  that's why ADDING the info to Scan would be a very nice starting point (and Square was idiotic to not include it originally).  walk before you run.

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 9
Status
None
Thank you all for your advice. I've looked into it a little bit, and my rough estimate is that I'd first need to procure about 280 bytes of continuous space in the RAM to replicate player status storage for the six monster slots. If I can't find that much space, then the feature really is impossible for FF6.

I can't believe Scan doesn't list the statuses... I must have been thinking of FFX. However... setting up new strings is rather complex from my position, whereas making a tweaked copy of an existing display is more down my alley. I was able to extend GrayShadow's Relm learning patch (Natural Abilities) to six casters without really understanding the register or carries, simply by replicating code that already works and repointing it. I'd be doing the same thing here with statuses.

From my cursory examination of C1 (well, the part relevant to head graphics for statuses), it seems the function builds a heirarchy of statuses through various 'and' commands, then displays the highest-priority head graphic over the actor. It's set up to do this for Actor 1, and then when the subroutine is called for other actors it applies a RAM shift.

Anyway, it's a big rabbit hole to explore, and I'd rather not banish my mod to vaporware while I delve into it. I'll revisit the idea as an addon patch after I've contributed something substantial to this community, since I've gotten a lot from this place and have as-of-yet failed to give a return on that loan.
  Find