Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Day / Night Cycle [beta release]

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-04-2019, 01:17 PM)Warrax Wrote: Edit2: Castle and Kefka Tower sprites doesn't bland well with certain night colors/textures/sprites:

It seems the Kefka tower palette and castle are not entirely affected by the cycle. I'll test this when I have time and maybe even code a different palette change for WoR since that purple is not best looking. But again, if you are using a savastate in WoR, that look might be the result of a broken cycle, i.e. not using the patch correctly because you loaded a savastate.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
It's all good now. I also found "JSR test" in the ASM file which helped fix the issue on current savegames.

Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Warrax for this post:
  • madsiur (01-05-2019)

Status
Tissue-aware
(01-05-2019, 12:01 PM)Warrax Wrote: It's all good now. I also found "JSR test" in the ASM file which helped fix the issue on current savegames.

Yes that was the purpose of it. However, I suggest you assemble the hack with that JSR, load your savestate, save in game so you have a SRM file, then re-assemble the hack without that JSR and finally load your SRM file. Leaving the test JSR will have the affect that exiting a map with the cycle to the WoR or WoB will reset the cycle on the world map.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Warrax (01-05-2019)

Status
None
Yup! did that already, I did carefully read the documentation this time Tongue but thanks for confirmation.

Find

Status
None
Using Dance causes a crash, it crashes as soon as the background attempt to change. It is related to background because if I'm using a Dance that doesn't change the background, it proceed normally without crashing.

It originally happened while testing Mog in my hack from a new game I made specially to test Day / Night Cycle but I also tested with the original ips file on unpatched FF3 1.0 ROM to make sure, same result.

Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(08-10-2019, 09:59 AM)Warrax Wrote: Using Dance causes a crash, it crashes as soon as the background attempt to change. It is related to background because if I'm using a Dance that doesn't change the background, it proceed normally without crashing.

Thanks for reporting! I'll try to fix this during my vacation time.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Warrax (08-10-2019)

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Ohhh... Pretty it is...
I've got to get my notebook and start making notes so I don't forget stuff.

Question (Keep in mind I'm a noob right now) during the transition, which is a really nice touch I must say, is that a set command to tint slowly, or is it several seperate stages? As in could it do the first step, then stay "sunset" awhile then transition on into actual night time? Just visually I mean, no changing of enemies or anything just sort of a "warning, it's getting dark seek protection!" Phase before it actually goes nivht time mode? Or stretch the transition out longer and play a song during the transition? I'm thinking the "Freddy's coming for you" tune from NES Nightmare on Elm Street jingle... Yes, I really like that game, and the music from it.

Oh, and new elements? 1st: Awsome, and more points for only work at night elements. 2nd: I never knew anything about adding elements, is there a limit to adding several? Could there be a moon and sun, night and day elements? Or is only 2 new resonable to add?

3rd: Just off the top of your head, how impossible would it be to have day night cycle effect the PC's? Such as a vampire type character lower stats during day, or higher stats at night? Or maybe one character gets +25 to all or some stats during certain cycle? This is just for my curiosity as plausible or to impractical to even attempt.

And, last point, would you actually have day/night cycles in Kefka's tower and Zozo? Maybe Zozo its just raining but would you ever be able to see the sun in Kefka's tower? Not saying it should or shouldn't, just asking would it have cycles in game canon?

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(08-13-2019, 03:29 PM)Catone Wrote: during the transition, which is a really nice touch I must say, is that a set command to tint slowly, or is it several seperate stages? As in could it do the first step, then stay "sunset" awhile then transition on into actual night time?

The transition is made in numerous steps, and while you can set the timer between each step, the time remains the same for every step.

(08-13-2019, 03:29 PM)Catone Wrote: I never knew anything about adding elements, is there a limit to adding several?

I added one and used several unused bits in thew enemy and item data. To add two or more you'd need to add a byte to the enemy and item data.

(08-13-2019, 03:29 PM)Catone Wrote: Just off the top of your head, how impossible would it be to have day night cycle effect the PC's? Such as a vampire type character lower stats during day, or higher stats at night? Or maybe one character gets +25 to all or some stats during certain cycle? This is just for my curiosity as plausible or to impractical to even attempt.

I don't think that stuff would be really hard, at least it is easier than coding the day/night cycle itself.

(08-13-2019, 03:29 PM)Catone Wrote: would you actually have day/night cycles in Kefka's tower and Zozo? Maybe Zozo its just raining but would you ever be able to see the sun in Kefka's tower? Not saying it should or shouldn't, just asking would it have cycles in game canon?

You can set individually the day/night cycle per map but I'm not sure what would be the result on those maps.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
In other words, the cycle is pretty versital, not a "it only works one way" thing. Nice.

Now that I read it, yeah I remember the thing about adding bits to every item and monster for something like that now. Still, it's cool.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hello! I tried using the patch for the very first time. Same thing happened to me as the other users: as soon as Dance tries to change the background, it crashes.
  Find