Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Marle - Chrono Trigger Sprite Sheet

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
X-Zone
Marle from Chrono Trigger. This is still a WIP. I specifically would like to use one of the FF6 default palettes. Please let me know of anything I can do to change it or make it better.

[Image: WjMCtLw.png]
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
It's a WIP and a great start, but there are a few things to consider.

1. Marle wears poofy pants. However, in FF6 spriting style, you have considerably less area devoted to her legs. Consequently, you are going to have to "define" them more strongly than in Chrono Trigger by reducing the depth and making the outline more obvious, especially in the facing the player-facing standing sprite. Take some inspiration from Sabin, who also wears white poofy pants.
2.Related to this is the idea of lighting. Final Fantasy VI uses much "softer" lighting and generally less harsh shading. By contrast, Chrono Trigger utilizes a very hard shading technique, being more anime-themed in design. Consequenty, the lighting on the sprite has to reflect that. Right now, Marle looks as if she hopped in from Chrono Trigger, but even with a FF6 Pallete, she would look too harsh. You would have to recolor and repixel her hair so she looks a little less cartoony in color. You would also have to reduce the black in some poses, too.
3. Marle's white top against her bare skin looks a little odd, and chests are precious real estate on sprites. You may have to take artistic license and modify the outfit slightly to accomodate the FF6 style, even if it means harking back to the original artwork.

Again, this is a great first effort, but it needs a little more polish if you want it to look nice alongside other sprites.
  Find

Threads: 9
Status
Slow
Indeed, this be a neat sprite. and don't we all have our phases where something needs to be tweaked here and there? Smile
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
all things considered it's not a bad start, but I can tell you right now it won't work in game the way you're working on it, what program are you using exactly? maybe I can help you out

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
X-Zone
Thanks guys for your input. alot of the highlight/color issues are going to be addressed once I switch over to a default ff6 palette. I am currently using Graphics Gale for my spritework.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
while graphics gale is great, imo its not the best program if you want to put something in game properly

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
X-Zone
what program do you use? I end up having to use graphics gale, then FF3usME, then FF3usSpriteEd to get a finished sprite.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
the best thing to do is use ffse or the relm one(forget name), that way you can make sure that the pallet wont mess up other characters and you can draw the character with the correct pallet order ei outline, eyes, clothes etc

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess