Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
final fantasy mystic quest sound effects

Threads: 22
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Auto-life
I am looking for sound effects from FF Mystic Quest, but unfortunately, I cannot find them anywhere.  Is there a program I can use to extract them or would ZNES work where I can get SPC files? mainly what I am looking for is the enemy slain sound effect.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
SNESSOR can extract BRR samples and BRRtools can do the same I think. But in the case of FF6, sound effects are not BRR samples. In other games like Secret of Mana, a lot of sound effects are whole BRR samples. These can be ripped. Even then it's trial-error with the sample rate and you might get garbage among what is extracted.

The other solution is recording the sound effect with no music. This was done for the FF6 sound effects.
  Find

Threads: 22
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Auto-life
what is a good program to use to record the sound effects?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Recording from your soundcard with Audacity will do just fine.
  Find

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
A simple way to do this is to have the SPC pointers for all of the music in the ROM to point to the first entry which is silence--this is how I rip sound effects from every game.  Then you can use Byuu's cycle perfect SNES emulator Higan (https://byuu.org/emulation/higan/) to have the sounds played as high quality and accurate as possible.  If your computer cannot run Higan use SNES9x next because ZSNES sucks for everything.

Attached is a picture of the location of the SPC pointers in MQ, each pointer is 3 bytes long so you need to change starting at offset 6BDB1 and go through 6BDFE in a ROM without a header.  Don't go over because starting at 6BDFF are BRR pointers.  

0D 85 0E is the pointer data for the silence "music".  So to make it easier you can copy/paste 26 of these (78 bytes) worth (below) and paste it in your hex editor after you've selected the exact byte range @ 6BDB1-6BDFE.

Code:
0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E0D850E

Out of curiosity what sound effect are you looking for?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Status
Tissue-aware
After re-reading my post and the guy original post, I think he is referring to the sound effects and not the brr samples. This is still a mystery for me in FF6, only way we found is make an event tile that play a SFX and record via emulator, then switch the SFX ID of the event command and record the next one. This could work on other Squaresoft game having a similar event system, the hard part is setting the event if you have no event documentation.

I know FF6 sound effects are generated from a single giant waveform separated from the song brr samples. The waveform has its own ADSR table and other data table to help generate a SFX, I suspect each SFX has a pointer to a part of the waveform and a certain length is used for the SFX, then effects applied to it but I've never seen documentation on the subject.
  Find

Status
Regen
(03-07-2018, 07:42 PM)madsiur Wrote: After re-reading my post and the guy original post, I think he is referring to the sound effects and not the brr samples. This is still a mystery for me in FF6, only way we found is make an event tile that play a SFX and record via emulator, then switch the SFX ID of the event command and record the next one. This could work on other Squaresoft game having a similar event system, the hard part is setting the event if you have no event documentation.

I know FF6 sound effects are generated from a single giant waveform separated from the song brr samples. The waveform has its own ADSR table and other data table to help generate a SFX, I suspect each SFX has a pointer to a part of the waveform and a certain length is used for the SFX, then effects applied to it but I've never seen documentation on the subject.

That's what I posted about.  By removing the ability for the game to play music he can record the sound effects as they play in the game.  :)  I don't have specific information on MQ's sound effect generation/and etc so this is another method get them.

Status
Tissue-aware
(03-07-2018, 08:12 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote: That's what I posted about.  By removing the ability for the game to play music he can record the sound effects as they play in the game.  Smile  I don't have specific information on MQ's sound effect generation/and etc so this is another method get them.

Yeah my bad! I kinda have read your post too quickly lol... I thought it was about playing songs and extracting BRRs *hide in shame*
  Find

Status
Regen
(03-07-2018, 08:45 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(03-07-2018, 08:12 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote: That's what I posted about.  By removing the ability for the game to play music he can record the sound effects as they play in the game.  Smile  I don't have specific information on MQ's sound effect generation/and etc so this is another method get them.

Yeah my bad! I kinda have read your post too quickly lol... I thought it was about playing songs and extracting BRRs *hide in shame*

Hit

You spoony bard!