Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Help]Spell Categories

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
to be sure, you copied GrayShadows' data for C2/574B thru C2/575A?  and you're not doing something like using in-battle save states to test changes?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to assassin for this post:
  • Blunderpuggs (11-28-2017)

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Status
Faith
Copied Grayshadow's changes (double checked it). Not using save states, just the "normal" save system. Whenever I wanna test the changes, I reload the game.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
To be fair, I didn't test those changes, it's entirely possible that I messed up the math.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GrayShadows for this post:

Status
Faith
Well, I'm no math expert, but your calculations seem right to me. Dunno why it only sorted two magic orders (in-battle). Assassin's changes to the menu arrangement worked with all 6 magic orders.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
sorting orders 3 and 5 would still work because there's no actual changes needed to them, therefore no math mistakes to make. Wink

Can you test all four of the other sorting orders and confirm type/numbers of spells missing? It'll help track down where I made my error. (I suspect I added 3 where I should have subtracted, or vice-versa.)

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GrayShadows for this post:

Status
Faith
In all 4 sorting orders, the 3 missing spells are always the same ones: Warp, Quick and Dispel. All 3 are Effect/Grey spells.
  Find

Status
None
also maybe upload an .IPS containing the changes you made, just to be sure.  the math looks right to me as well.  that said, a program to generate those 3 tables, when given 3 category sizes, would come in very handy.  this sorta stuff is bound to trip up humans.  (admittedly some more than others.  i was initially looking at metrics other than old_insertion_or_put_behind_size versus new_insertion_or_put_behind_size, and confused myself.  iow, what GrayShadows has in the comments column distills things well.)

----

have we ruled out lazy (or heavily error-checking) Bank C1 code by Square in the icon-izing?  if you have yet to actually change the icons from gray to white for those three spells, maybe now-"sandwiched" categories would throw off dumb-arsed list displaying code?  i've never studied how C1 does this menu, so that's pure speculation.  (it's unlikely they wrote it in a way that couldn't handle this.)

Status
Faith
Took me a while to make the .ips (longer than I'd like to admit  Laugh). 

I've attached it to this reply (along with a save file with Mog having learnt all spells).

.7z  FF6NH Test.7z (1.36 KB, 6 downloads)
  Find

Status
None
do you no longer modify C2/55C7 for your working copy, or is that just for purposes of the .IPS file?
  • Blunderpuggs (11-29-2017)

Status
Faith
Actually... it was lack of attention... With all the "reapplying changes to a clean file", I've clearly forgotten to change that one byte. Changed it now (from 2D to 2A) and the in-battle sorting is all fixed. *facepalm
  Find