Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Condensing Spell List in Battle

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(07-23-2021, 03:48 AM)fw4210 Wrote: Does anyone have an updated ips patch of this? I've been using condensed spells vers. 1.1 and a vanilla ROM on SNES9x, and it locks up on me every time at the Sealed Gate during the Kefka battle.

That is an interesting bug! Are you 100% sure it's purely this patch that's causing it? It's been used in other hacks with no report of this so I'm wondering if it may be more of a confliction case. It's odd though it does it there. Some other large mods use this patch and haven't reported this so I'm a bit conflicted on how to address this.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
No-Intro version. 1.0 clean ROM.

Applied Condensed Spells 1.1 via Multipatch and tried again with Lunar to see if that was the cause.

Running on SNES9x 1.60 on OS X. Tried Running it on PC / SNES9x 1.60

Used advanced patch conflict finder to check for conflicts. Nothing.

Applied condensed spells 1.1 to romhack ROSE edition, after it showed no conflicts in the finder... locked in the same place.

I'm at a loss myself. But I did notice in this thread there might be a 1.5 version with tightened up code or something. I'm running the publicly available 1.1 version.
  Find

Threads: 11
Status
None
Well, at least progress has been made. I remember using ver 1.0 and couldn't get it to work at all. I Have access to all the applications FW4210 has. If C-Dude can get it working halfway through the WOB I'd say it's still worth pushing for as a patch...It's totally useful.

Just downloaded ver1.1. Haven't tested it yet. Just to clarify.
  Find

Status
None
(07-25-2021, 10:46 AM)Joshua H. Wrote: Well, at least progress has been made.  I remember using ver 1.0 and couldn't get it to work at all.  I Have access to all the applications FW4210 has.  If C-Dude can get it working halfway through the WOB I'd say it's still worth pushing for as a patch...It's totally useful.

Just downloaded ver1.1.  Haven't tested it yet.  Just to clarify.

If you do test it, lemme know what happens at the Sealed Gate when Kefka attacks. Right as I'm about to take my turn it locks up every time, and then crashes.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(07-25-2021, 06:32 PM)fw4210 Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 10:46 AM)Joshua H. Wrote: Well, at least progress has been made.  I remember using ver 1.0 and couldn't get it to work at all.  I Have access to all the applications FW4210 has.  If C-Dude can get it working halfway through the WOB I'd say it's still worth pushing for as a patch...It's totally useful.

If you do test it, lemme know what happens at the Sealed Gate when Kefka attacks. Right as I'm about to take my turn it locks up every time, and then crashes.

I can confirm the crash. At first I thought it was a simple case of needing to start from a new game to reset some RAM or something, because when I would test it on a clean ROM using some previous save data, it would crash in almost every battle no matter what, but from a new game it was okay. I also was entertaining the idea that maybe it was that you had version 1.0 of this patch applied and it needed to be reverted first, but when I got to the Sealed Gate part with Kefka sure enough it crashed in the same fashion pretty much, albeit with my character moving up first into the wrong position:

[Image: 9PXlVAr.png]

I'd guess this wasn't an issue in the previous 1.0 version or else more would have reported it by now? I know Brave New World uses it, and I'm fairly sure Divergent Paths as well (unless PowerPanda somehow achieved spell condensing another way), and have not reported this, but I'm not sure which version they have applied or if any further changes were made by them to correct whatever is happening here.

EDIT: Divergent Paths actually does not use it.

Checking a bit further it seems to be the code at C2/4F11 (13 bytes) that is causing this to happen, reverting that part back to vanilla code allows the battle event to proceed with no crash. And I'm pretty sure that was one of the changes from 1.0 to 1.1, so it would make sense that this wasn't an issue previously.

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
The latest version is v1.5 and can be found in post #51 and post #62 for the Control MP Fix Variant.

Unfortunately GrayShadows never updated the original post for the release of 1.5 and for the Control MP fix variant so people are still downloading v1.1 from that post. Also there's no IPS files for v1.5, only ASM.

Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Warrax for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (07-25-2021)

Status
None
(07-25-2021, 08:31 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 06:32 PM)fw4210 Wrote:

I can confirm the crash. At first I thought it was a simple case of needing to start from a new game to reset some RAM or something, because when I would test it on a clean ROM using some previous save data, it would crash in almost every battle no matter what, but from a new game it was okay. I also was entertaining the idea that maybe it was that you had version 1.0 of this patch applied and it needed to be reverted first, but when I got to the Sealed Gate part with Kefka sure enough it crashed in the same fashion pretty much, albeit with my character moving up first into the wrong position:

[Image: 9PXlVAr.png]

I'd guess this wasn't an issue in the previous 1.0 version or else more would have reported it by now? I know Brave New World uses it, and I'm fairly sure Divergent Paths as well (unless PowerPanda somehow achieved spell condensing another way), and have not reported this, but I'm not sure which version they have applied or if any further changes were made by them to correct whatever is happening here.

Checking a bit further it seems to be the code at C2/4F11 (13 bytes) that is causing this to happen, reverting that part back to vanilla code allows the battle event to proceed with no crash. And I'm pretty sure that was one of the changes from 1.0 to 1.1, so it would make sense that this wasn't an issue previously.

Good to know, it wasn't an error on my end. Now we need that updated 1.5 version in .ips format that Warrax is refering to. Or better yet a new 1.6 version if 1.5 is still also conflicting.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(07-25-2021, 08:43 PM)Warrax Wrote: The latest version is v1.5 and can be found in post #51 and post #62 for the Control MP Fix Variant.

Unfortunately GrayShadows never updated the original post for the release of 1.5 and for the Control MP fix variant so people are still downloading v1.1 from that post. Also there's no IPS files for v1.5, only ASM.

Ahh I see! Thanks for informing us. Guess I plum forgot there were more versions after 1.1.
EDIT: I raced through the game again with v1.5 applied this time, and sadly the issue persists. Sad
At least the first time... after that, reloading my save and trying again it did not, but then Kefka had the '0 MP to cast his spells' issue again, along with some wonkyness with his AI script.

Status
None
Anyone have the 1.0 version?

I need something besides 1.1 that clearly doesn't work.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
The previous versions' assembly code looks to be there early on in the thread, but no ips patches for those. Applying assembly patches is simple enough if you'd wanna give it a try, with xkas, it just requires to use ye olde command prompt. I'd recommend maybe trying to contact GrayShadows though first directly about the current issue at hand, because the first few versions had problems as well.