Leap Anywhere
author: seibaby
version: 1.0
released on: 07/11/2017
apply to FF3us 1.0
Download

[Image: leap.png]

Quoting seibaby:

Just something I've had lying around for a long while, and finally decided to clean up and release. Something for you lazy Gau lovers out there.

This patch has pretty much equal functionality as Think's Learnable Rage patch, with the exception that you still actually have to Leap Gau to learn Rages. The kicker is that you can do so anywhere, and Gau will be right back in your party after you win the battle. You will still only be able to Leap enemy formations that actually appear on the Veldt, but you no longer have to hike all the way out there to do so. Consider it a middle ground between Think's patch and vanilla BNW behavior, although it's still cheating, since you're getting Rages early. You cheater, you!

Headered and nonheadered patches are included. See the documentation (leap-anywhere.txt) for version A/B differences. Let me know if it breaks the universe or something.
  Find
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • CoffeeCroww (06-14-2021), PowerPanda (01-03-2018), Robo Jesus (01-03-2018), SSJ Rick (07-14-2017), Warrax (01-05-2018)

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
That wouldn't be a bad idea, I could use this for a project hack of the game I am working on. I just don't know who I will give Leap and Rage to.
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Brave
This is a really cool patch. Am I right in assuming that Leaping doesn't automatically end the battle for you?
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Correct. Leap just removes Gau from battle.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to seibaby for this post:
  • Timbo (01-05-2018)

Threads: 11
Status
None
Thanks for creating this! I've been imagining this very thing. You might consider adding code to it that would force the party to reclaim Gau in the Veldt after the Leap. That was my original trigger for the desire to make a patch like this. It makes NO sense to force the player onto the Veldt just to collect rages but having them reclaim Gau on the Veldt rebalances the Leap command. It also fits in with the native world-building of FF6 in a general way, because that's where you originally find him.
  Find

Status
None
I don't think that's a good idea. At the time I wrote this I did toy with the idea of Return Anywhere but leaping Gau off at an inopportune moment could potentially cause softlocks, so I settled for having him return at end of battle. The only thing this is missing is triggering the returning cutscene instead of just ending the battle.
  Find

Threads: 11
Status
None
Right...it's an unfortunate thing...the soft-locks. Hopefully, you can figure the 'returning cutscene trigger after the battle' out someday. I'd be just as happy with that, no less.
  Find

Threads: 20
Status
None
I've been tossing around the idea of including this as a main part of my hack. However, I was wondering if it's possible to have the battle end when Gau leaps while in the Veldt. Mind you, I don't actually care if Gau has to return or not after the battle is over. My idea here is that the Veldt has a point beyond just revisiting monsters you missed - and that is you don't have to actually win the battle to obtain the Rage.

An example of why I want this is the Pug/Tonberry encounter (and other such encounters new to my hack). It's difficult to defeat them with only 3 party members, but it would be easier to find them on the Veldt and not have to win the battle. Also, I sometimes will have Gau leap on the veldt JUST to avoid fighting a battle (even if he already knows the rage). It's kind of like a free Smoke Bomb.
  Find

Status
None
It's possible, if you change the code to add a check for whether you're on the Veldt, and change it so it jumps to the "Gau Leaps" battle ending if so.
  Find